• +

16 Replies - 4628 Views - Last Post: 11 December 2013 - 11:43 AM

#16 depricated  Icon User is online

• I was alone. I was thinking of you.

• View blog

Re: 2013 Year in review!

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:44 AM

•How did the year go for you?
About as well as I could have hoped. All in all, very positive.

•Did you make any goals you set?
Several. The biggest was to land a job as a developer.

•What did you learn that was new or exciting in the programming world?
Maybe not new and exciting, but learning to use TFS and work on projects as a team instead of the sole developer is really cool.

•Single best tech moment?
Playing Planetside 2 spanning 6 monitors, dog fighting, gun down a mossie and my roommate goes "holy fuck its like being inside the scythe"

•How about in the personal life?
This area has been decidedly lacking. I spent the majority of my focus on developing my professional life, I have no balance in it. My friends are still with me, and that's good, but I guess next year I want to focus on not being single.

•How have you grown as a person?
I've made effort to be more considerate of other people. Generally people fall into two categories for me: relevant and fuck-em. I'm trying to expand that and be less dismissive of people. Less antisocial.

•What did you think was the most overrated game of the year?
Can I say Diablo 3 even though it was released last year, and rereleased this year with no bug fixes or anything?

Under rated?
Shadowrun Returns. Even people who are aware of it don't realize what it is. It's not a game, it's a game IDE. It's fantastic.

•Would you rank this a good year or bad?
Eh, overall good. I'll put it at an 8. It started looking bleak with a pretty toxic work environment, but I got fired with severence and turned it into the greatest job I could have asked for. Got the band going, started repairs on the house, everything is looking up.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: 2013 Year in review!

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:43 AM

• How did the year go for you?
    It definitely had its ups and downs. The Spring started out amazing, and then ended in one of the worst moments that I have ever been in. I had to deal with student council tribunal regarding expusion from school (fortunately I was innocent and talked to key people). And then I had the stress of moving out to TX, which is the farthest I've ever been isolated from home. I've always had family around, so it was a first for me. But, I proceeded to make really good friends in the summer and ended up with the best summer I could possibly have. This fall has been steady with no real good or bad, so I guess that's good.

• Did you make any goals you set?
    I landed a Spring job and a summer internship, but I normally don't live my life by explicit goals. Instead I just try to be the best person I can be day to day.

• What did you learn that was new or exciting in the programming world?
    I learned several new Web Technologies and honed my Android skills even further. I also learned LabVIEW, got my certification, and am now a qualified LabVIEW instructor at Tech this Spring.

• Single best tech moment?
    Cranking out a really awesome app in 24 hours at my first hackathon was pretty neat.

• How about in the personal life?
    Blah. Good, bad, ups, and downs. My personal life is challenging for even me to figure out.

• How have you grown as a person?
    I have been truly on my own for the first time, and that's taken a lot of maturing and responsibility growth on my part.

• What did you think was the most overrated game of the year? Under rated?
    Overrated: No idea. I don't tend to play modern games, so I never really experience the bad ones.
    Underrated: Hotline Miami. Technically late 2012, but I'll count it here.

• Would you rank this a good year or bad?
    I'd give it a 7. Overall very good year with some LARGE downspikes, but they were short term, so not that bad in the overall scheme of things. Very good year for me to discover myself though, and that's something that is super awesome.

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +