How long did it take you to learn a programming language?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

21 Replies - 2323 Views - Last Post: 11 December 2013 - 07:43 PM

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How long did it take you to learn a programming language?

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:45 PM

Your proficiency is measured in a standard unit of programmer measure, wtfpm. Your skill is inversely related to the number of wtfs a minute your code receives when viewed by a known professional.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:27 PM

View PostLemur, on 10 December 2013 - 08:45 PM, said:

Your proficiency is measured in a standard unit of programmer measure, wtfpm. Your skill is inversely related to the number of wtfs a minute your code receives when viewed by a known professional.

So it's directly related to the number of minutes between WTFs?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:26 AM

Remember seeing that when I cracked open Clean Code, laughed my ass off.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cheese and Sprinkles
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:28 PM

View Postbuzzloghtyear89, on 09 December 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

How long did it take you to learn a programming language (any language)?

I usually give myself between 3 weeks and 3 months to learn the minimum basics of a language, then a liftime of keeping up with changes and more advanced techniques.

View Postbuzzloghtyear89, on 09 December 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

What did you do if you couldn't solve an answer?

If I absolutely can't figure it out with a google search, book reading and banging my head on the desk, I ask here. That usually gets me where I need to be in short amount of time.

This post has been edited by laytonsdad: 11 December 2013 - 12:28 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:50 PM

View Postlaytonsdad, on 11 December 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

If I absolutely can't figure it out with a google search, book reading and banging my head on the desk, I ask here. That usually gets me where I need to be in short amount of time.

Asking here is very useful. I do it all the time - but I hardly ever post the question, because the answer almost always becomes obvious as I state my question precisely.

Another useful tip: if you really, really can't figure out how to do a certain thing, you might want to stop and wonder whether it's really the thing you need to be doing. Back up and think about whether there's another way to engineer this that would be easier to write.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:08 PM

interesting answers. I am learning two languages at the same time (java and python). I wasn't interested in java and took a very short break and came upon python by accident. Now for some reason the more I learn python, the faster I can do things in Java. I only been learning them for three months.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:43 PM

I've found my dilemma tends to be the small things. I'll use != when I should use <> or vice versa.

I started with PHP when I was 16, and I never really truly grasped it until I learned Java. Learning Java took about a year, but I had the head-start study of spending years working on understanding PHP (with no understanding of programming theory). Once I learned theory it was easy enough to start picking up new languages. C++ I'm not confident with, mostly because I never use it, but I understand C# well enough to have been offered a Junior Dev role with it after demonstrating it in an interview. VB.NET is what I work in daily.

I've never come to a point where I said "I have learned this language" except retrospectively. I can look back and say I know PHP, I know Java, I know VBA. I've still got plenty to learn with VB.NET even though I use it daily. My accomplishment for today was determining where to swap two 1s to 0s in an SQL statement. Yesterday it was finding where someone had put a > where they should have put a <.

Dunno what I'm contributing other than: I actually have no clue how well I know the languages I know, other than the fact that I'm comfortable working in a set of languages even though I feel like I've still got lots more to learn. Like Jon noted - often, simply finding the proper way to explain the problem you're facing will reveal how to resolve it. Is that the point at which you know a language?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +