10 Replies - 1560 Views - Last Post: 16 December 2013 - 08:04 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Interview?

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:06 PM

I really did not know where to ask this but is there any Video Game developers or anyone that has a job in that area that could help me out by answering some general questions for an interview I need to do. It is apart of a career project I am doing as an exit project.
Just need someone that works in the area of creating or designing or even maintenance on video games.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Interview?

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Interview?

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:48 AM

If you have to get the answers from someone else, then don't bother interviewing.
Is it your plan, if you get the job based on other people's answers, to then jump online and ask the forum every time your new employer expects something of you?
The simple fact is that if you can't *get* the job on your own answers/skills/merits then you won't be keeping the job; especially after they find out you lied about your knowledge in the interview.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:20 AM

Weeding you out is pretty much the purpose of an interview. If you don't know the subject, then you should be upfront & honest. If you get brought on & fired for not knowing wtf you're doing after a few months, heh, good luck landing a 2nd job in a related field. None of your experience will be usable, & when the potential employer you are looking to move onto reaches out to your previous employer, there will be zero chance that they will want to repeat the process.

Also, from what I understand of serious/major game development places, they want to see a portfolio of games you've done. & you should be prepared to walk them through your code as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:23 AM

View PostInterviewer, on 12 December 2013 - 04:06 AM, said:

It is apart of a career project I am doing as an exit project.

Please clarify, is this for job, or a schooling exit project?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:06 AM

View PostAnalyticLunatic, on 12 December 2013 - 07:23 AM, said:

View PostInterviewer, on 12 December 2013 - 04:06 AM, said:

It is apart of a career project I am doing as an exit project.

Please clarify, is this for job, or a schooling exit project?

Ya really sorry for not clarifying. Its for school. Im a senior and it is for a career project. I have to get with someone in the area im interested in and interview them (ask like 10 general questions about their job). Then give a presentation on the interview and some other things I must research.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 depricated  Icon User is online

• I was alone. I was thinking of you.

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:15 AM

View PostInterviewer, on 12 December 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

Ya really sorry for not clarifying. Its for school. Im a senior and it is for a career project. I have to get with someone in the area im interested in and interview them (ask like 10 general questions about their job). Then give a presentation on the interview and some other things I must research.

That's how I understood the initial post.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:30 AM

View Postdepricated, on 12 December 2013 - 04:15 PM, said:

View PostInterviewer, on 12 December 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

That's how I understood the initial post.

I did as well, but tlhIn`toq's reply had me unsure that I may have overlooked something in the wording.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:41 AM

Well here are the questions. If anyone is willing to answer could you just put your name, title of your career, and any other things you might think I would need to know.

1. What made you decide to go into this career?
2. Did you have any schooling?
3. What is the average day like in your career?
4. What kind of perks do you get from your career compared to other careers?
5. What would you say is the worst part of your career?
6. What is the general entrance salary in this career?
7. If you could change one thing about this career, what would it be?
8. What is the freedom in the workplace of this career like? Is it similar to a normal job?
9. Would you suggest this career for everyone?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:52 AM

View PostInterviewer, on 12 December 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

Well here are the questions. If anyone is willing to answer could you just put your name, title of your career, and any other things you might think I would need to know.

Name: AnalyticLunatic
Title: Software Engineer I

• What made you decide to go into this career?
    Decided that while I was good at and loved Auto Collision Repair, it truly was more a Hobby than a desired Career. Changed my mind 1 month before High School graduation. Went to the same college that I had already planned on attending, but with the Computer Programming major instead.

• Did you have any schooling?
    2-Year Technical College, graduated Associate of Applied Science Degree in Computer Programming (General & Web Design Options) with honors in top of my class. Received a job offer immediately out of school and currently pursuing Bachelors Degree with evening courses.

• What is the average day like in your career?
    Come in to office, fill my cup, check forums (D.I.C. included) then start where I left off on the previous days project. Occassionaly IM with coworkers about various non-work subjects, eat lunch, repeat morning agenda, then go home. If in class, go to class, cook, go to bed. If not in class, work on my Freelance Web Design Client projects.

• What kind of perks do you get from your career compared to other careers?
    Always inside, heat/air-conditioned.
    A little competence and a degree leads to good pay.
    (At my Employer)
    Set Monday-Friday schedule. Flexible as needed anywhere between 7AM-6PM.
    6.86% Contribution to Retirement Plan
    Additional Nationwide 457 Retirement Plan ($35/Month Contribution Match)
    Incredible Health, Dental, Vision, etc.
    Tuiton Reimbursement for any course required for Degree.

• What would you say is the worst part of your career?
    Low physical activity. If you don't go to the gym after work, you can quickly become accustomed to the sedentary lifestyle, causing low energy and weight gain leading to a slew of other bad habits and health concerns.

• What is the general entrance salary in this career?
    This is far too broad a question. You may have the same schooling as someone else, but if you have pursued your own business/personal projects while in school and work is impressive, employers may pay you more than the other who has not. There are a variety of other criteria such as location.

I started at $31K when I left my first college in May 2012 and am located in central Mid-West. Approximately 1.5yrs later, I am at a new employer and I now make more.

• If you could change one thing about this career, what would it be?
    Also a broad question. There is a heavy split between what I would change in the "career" and what I would change about my current "employment".

As a career, I'm not really sure what I would change. This career is kind of it's own niche, if you change it, you change the niche.

• What is the freedom in the workplace of this career like? Is it similar to a normal job?
    Varies heavily upon your employer and what you consider a "normal job".

• Would you suggest this career for everyone?
    Not at all. Everyone is more than capable if they apply themselves, but just because you like playing video games or can make a screen print "Hello World" does not mean you have the full potential to make a carrer.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:08 PM

Name: James Bridgeford
Title: Mid-level Customization Developer

1. What made you decide to go into this career?
I was originally in school to become a Nurse Anesthetist, but was just short of getting into the fall semester. In lieu of taking off a semester off I decided to take some programming courses as I'd done a bit of tech work in high school where I made a few small programs. After my intro class in which I helped teach I was approached by the teacher and asked if I was planning on continuing because she thought I had a natural talent for it. After talking with her for a while I switched majors to Information Technology - Application Development.

2. Did you have any schooling?
Yes, although it was only because it was free for me at the time (Single dad = free government money). I agree with a lot of the people here that say that a college education only is relevant for the HR hippies. I have an A.A.S. Degree with no real plans to go any further.

3.What is the average day like in your career?
As a customization developer my day consists of getting to the office, Getting the first of many pots of coffee going, Looking at what contracts have come in that day, and either finishing up the previous days contracts or starting on shiny fresh ones. I also help maintain several internal applications/sites so from time to time I'll have internal work come across my desk. I typically do SQL work writing Imports or report queries with some VB.NET and Bastardized ASP.NET programming thrown in here or there.

4. What kind of perks do you get from your career compared to other careers?
It's really hard to say because perks differ so much between employers. At my last place of Employment I got free soda and snacks, Tuition Reimbursement for all but $249 each semester, All expenses paid trips to Conventions and for some the Yearly Incentives trip to places like Jamaica and Cabo San Lucas. Also the best Health/Dental/Vision i've seen with 90% employer pay, Yearly bonus, 6% pre-tax 401k match, and Pension starting at 5 years. My current employer has Profit sharing, Paid training/Conventions, Good Health/Dental/Vision, flexible hours.

5.What would you say is the worst part of your career?
Clients. I have only dealt with a few that really know what they want. Most of them give you some Vague recollection of a drunken night their neighbors dog's third cousin had that might or might not have included these features, but you know what I mean so you can build it no problem.

6.What is the general entrance salary in this career?
Again it's dependent on some factors. Where I used to work entry level would have been between 50-55k for Salaried FT Employees or between 19-24 dollars for Contract employees. Where I currently live entry level would start in the 60-70 range.

7.If you could change one thing about this career, what would it be?
Smarter Clients and bosses who actually know what they are talking about and didn't pick up some backwards lingo somewhere.

8.What is the freedom in the workplace of this career like? Is it similar to a normal job?
Typically you get more freedom working in the field as you are expected to be professional and shouldn't have to be babysat just to make sure you do your job. I am allowed to take off whenever I want as long as I make 40 hours in a week.

9. Would you suggest this career for everyone?
Never. If you look around the boards you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about. There are those that strive to do the best they can, and may not make it because they just can't grasp one thing or another. For them I would say keep it as a hobby, but maybe look at other Careers. Then there are those who say U Has Codez? U Gif Codez? To those I say just stop. Put the keyboard away, remove the hacked copy of Turbo C++ and just no. Then there are those who work hard at it, ask relevant, concise questions backed up by actual code and sometimes attempts at fixing it themselves. Those are the ones I would encourage to keep at it and try and make a go at it. I know that they will be the most likely to make it and make this industry better for it too.

This post has been edited by rgfirefly24: 13 December 2013 - 05:10 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:04 PM

Thanks to both of you for your replies.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -