Which Windows do you prefer?

• (5 Pages)
  • +

63 Replies - 3402 Views - Last Post: 18 December 2013 - 11:11 AM

Poll: Which Windows do you prefer? (38 member(s) have cast votes)

Which version of Windows do you prefer?

1. Windows 7 (28 votes [73.68%])

Percentage of vote: 73.68%

2. Windows XP (2 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

3. Windows 8 (8 votes [21.05%])

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Which Windows do you prefer?

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:23 AM

Windows 7 still has my heart. 8 is an abomination.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

List is too short. I would have chosen X... :P

At the very least, it would have been interesting to see the scope. I'm shocked to see Windows 8, because I've never found anyone who actually cares for it. If someone wanted to show Vista love, that would be amusing.

Windows 7, as it stands now, is a nice OS. Actually, Windows Sever 2008 is a pretty nice beasty.

I'm rebuilding an old XP box for a relative right now and experiencing all the warts of the OS.

I think we've hit a tipping point in desktop OS interfaces in general. Each new revision wants to give you a mobile desktop fusion experience. The OS versions just prior to this insanity tend to be more user friendly. On Linux I like Gnome 2 or mate, for the same reasons. I've tried all the "mobile on your desktop" messes and simply think it's a bad idea.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#33 cfoley  Icon User is online

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:28 PM

I like Windows 8. In short, it is the same as Windows 7 with some improvements and a few additions:

Same as Windows 7

The old fashioned desktop is still there. [WINDOWS] + [D] takes me there on the rare occasion I have to restart my computer. The desktop is where I spend most my time.

Some Improvements

I prefer the new Start Screen. I usually tap [WINDOWS] and type the name of the program. On the rare occasion I need to look for a particular program, they are all there, in a nice, easy-to-scroll 2D grid layout.

Unlike the old start menu, I don't have to navigate through nested menus and it uses the whole screen to show me options. I don't know why it would be useful to have the display of programs only take up a fraction of the screen.

A few additions

File History (link has text under the video)

Metro is obviously designed for mobiles. I think it's fine for what most computer users do with a desktop too: Internet browsing, letter typing and video watching are things you want to do full screen. Sometimes you want a second window by the side of the thing you are working on and Metro lets you do that. For more complicated tasks, it lets you switch to the Desktop.

There is a huge attraction to an OS that runs on my PC, laptop, tablet and phone. Better if the software and (selected) files are synced too. There's still work to be done but Windows 8 is a step in the right direction.

One of the students I teach has this laptop. It's a laptop that converts to a tablet. I might not want to poke at my screen when I'm programming but when I'm chilling on the sofa, it's nicer to brows the net on a tablet.

Not perfect of course

If Metro was slightly different, it would be perfect for programming. Basically, I want to arrange all my open windows in a grid (like VS and Eclipse do with code windows). Unfortunately, I can only make 2 windows visible.

Charms are annoying. They're probably annoying on a phone or tablet too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:36 AM

Microsoft seem to like releasing a dud OS followed by a good OS.

Windows 8: unliked
Windows 7: generally liked
Windows Vista: basically a buggy pre-alpha windows 7
Windows XP: Pretty dang good
Windows 98: windows 95 + 1
Windows 95: Start Menu
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:24 AM

View Postbelgarion262, on 16 December 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

Microsoft seem to like releasing a dud OS followed by a good OS.

Windows 8: unliked
Windows 7: generally liked
Windows Vista: basically a buggy pre-alpha windows 7
Windows XP: Pretty dang good
Windows 98: windows 95 + 1
Windows 95: Start Menu

This proves that Microsoft OSes are following the same conventions are the original Star Trek movies:

Star Trek: Bad,
Wrath of Khan: Good,
Search for Spock: Bad,
Voyage Home: Good,
And so on...

My vote was for Windows 7, by the way. XP was good, but 7 is better, and Vista is just nasty. Haven't used 8 yet, but I prefer my desktop OSes to be designed for a desktop, so I'm not expecting much from 8.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:45 AM

The whole "Win 8 is designed for mobiles" thing is highly exaggerated in my opinion. Yes, the whole Metro deal is clearly aimed at mobile/touch screens, but it's not like that's the full extend of the system. The desktop is still there, and there are plenty of improvements to that as well.

I actually quite liked some of the mobile-friendly things they did, even on my full-HD sized desktop screen. Not all of them, but some.

Of course the they all pale in comparison to the Linux BASH, but then again you can't improve upon perfection. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:52 AM

People almost always focus on the negatives. We dislike the mobile focus of Windows 8, so ignore anything good about it, preferring to bitch about the bad.

My main issue with Windows 8 is that my Company are using the 8.1 Pro Preview version, which isn't supported by the graphics driver on my PC yet, meaning I get annoying weird glitches.

Beyond that I don't really know enough about Windows 8 as compared to Windows 7. What are the improvements? Is there much that 8 can do that 7 can't? Basically, is it the same as Vista vs XP, and we should wait for Windows 9 (or whatever they will call it).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#38 cfoley  Icon User is online

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:26 AM

Is there much that 8 can do that 7 can't?

Not really. Both do a pretty poor job of getting out of my way so I can work in peace.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:30 AM

I just don't like that I have to do a search for every app I have, like fucking calculator. I wanna just have my start menu. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't mind too much. I looks sexy, but that's about it. The negatives far outweigh the positives as far as I'm concerned.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• جوروترا

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:40 AM

I don't even know where to shut down the computer in windows 8 ! :P/>

well there is always Ctrl+Alt+Del haha !

This post has been edited by tarmizi_adam2005: 16 December 2013 - 08:44 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Behind Seven Proxies!

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:38 AM

my biggest gripe with Windows 8 is in how it handles multiple monitors.

It doesn't.

It's clearly designed with tablets in mind, which is cool, but I don't have a 6-screen tablet. I do have a 6-screen PC, though. The 'metro' screen takse up a whole monitor, and doesn't let you move to other monitosr with the mouse. And the best part - you have to hover over a specific area that changes each time you log in (you don't know, it's just a gamble) to bring up the shut down menu.

This post has been edited by depricated: 16 December 2013 - 09:45 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:40 AM

View Postdepricated, on 16 December 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

It doesn't.

It's clearly designed with tablets in mind, which is cool, but I don't have a 6-screen tablet. I do have a 6-screen PC, though. The 'metro' screen takse up a whole monitor, and doesn't let you move to other monitosr with the mouse. And the best part - you have to hover over a specific area that changes each time you log in (you don't know, it's just a gamble) to bring up the shut down menu.

It doesn't.

Does it also duplicate text? :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:42 AM

View Postdepricated, on 16 December 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

I do have a 6-screen PC, though.

Small penis, much? That's like the tech nerd equivalent of a lifted truck with smoke stacks. :P

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 16 December 2013 - 09:43 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Behind Seven Proxies!

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:47 AM

View PostNeoTifa, on 16 December 2013 - 09:42 AM, said:

View Postdepricated, on 16 December 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

I do have a 6-screen PC, though.

Small penis, much? That's like the tech nerd equivalent of a lifted truck with smoke stacks. :P/>/>

Of course the reason I did it is that I'm hung like a squirrel

dic pics
http://imgur.com/a/PUWQP

This post has been edited by depricated: 16 December 2013 - 09:47 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:47 AM

My only problem with 8 is that they attempted to take what gnome3 was doing and swing it the Windows way. The only problem is that they didn't hit the mark. Instead of having things easy to find with the "start" menu it hides things and wants you to type to find programs you use all of the time (unless you "pin" then to the main page). On top of that, they didn't label their "smart corners" which confuses the hell out of previous windows users, and was done significantly better (in my opinion) in gnome. The "start" screen should show me what I have opened currently (minimized, maximized, etc.) and my "pinned" applications along with an icon to get to the rest (non-pinned) of my programs at which point I can search or whatever to find one. The "metro" application interface should be something we can completely disable on a desktop/ laptop -- especially when considering that a lot of applications which use the metro interface don't give you the intuitive interface or menu options we expect and know. Instead they hide things (the Windows 8 mobile phone sync application for instance doesn't let you get to your settings, etc. without clicking unlabeled icons and hoping to eventually trip over the correct one, the same application for windows 7 is significantly easier to use).

I went with Windows 7 by the way. It is less buggy than vista, and doesn't try to reinvent my world like 8.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +