1 Replies - 1311 Views - Last Post: 14 December 2013 - 01:52 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Things to do as a pre-major Computer Scientist

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:33 AM

Hello: I am a Freshman at the University of Washington with intent to major in both Computer Science and Business. I am feeling pretty good about my prospects for getting into the CSE major at the UW: it is highly competitive, but my grades are good and I know I am passionate about CSE. However, until I apply to the major at the end of June, I'm looking for ways to both improve myself as a programmer and buff my application. As far as CS-related activities go, I occupy my time doing challenge problems on Project Euler, Kattis, or from the ACM ICPC archives, or reading CS blogs and articles. Beyond that, I'm looking for ideas for something worthwhile I can do to bridge the gap until I (hopefully) get in the major. Jobs are hard to come by for someone like me, and internships are scarce (and I don't fit into any of the minority groups that companies like Google seem to seek out for possible interns), but I was wondering if anyone had advice for what a good project might look like for a pre-major CSE student. Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Things to do as a pre-major Computer Scientist

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Things to do as a pre-major Computer Scientist

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:52 AM

There are a few things that you can do. First of all, it's great that you're doing ACM ICPC problems, keep doing that and also check out topcoder and codeforces. If there's a competitive programming community in your school, I highly recommend that you join them. Joining an open source project would also be a nice thing, you will learn a lot. You don't have to contribute anything big in the beginning, maybe some very simple bug fixes, help with the documentation, or help with the testing. You will do bigger things as you progress. You can also talk to some of the professors in the department and see if there are any internship opportunities for you. Working on your own projects would be great as well. Perhaps, play with some API's like twitter or facebook, try to get creative with them. Enjoy and good luck :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1