3 Replies - 493 Views - Last Post: 15 December 2013 - 10:41 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

associates in computer information systems or game development

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:15 AM

Hi everyone :) new to this site and really looking forward to being a member here. I dont know if I am in the right section to be asking this question, if not someone please redirect me. Anyway, all my life I have been working at jobs I have no passion or interest in just to "pay the bills" now I am in my late 20's and dont want to go through life not doing anything I wanted to do with my life, I have the opportunity to go to school a community college and get a degree in something. I'm sure I am not the only one here thats said I am interested in game development so I wont stress that. I'm located in Kansas where there arent any game programming jobs you can apply for, I have done searches on monster.com, indeed.com, and other job search sites which brings me down a little because I dont want to waste this one chance I have to go to school and still end up working somewhere a high school or ged grad can even after my graduation. So I'm stuck with these choices and wanted to know what more experience guys and gals say. The college I am planning on going to is Johnson county community college, you can simply type in jccc in google and find it if interested. So would it be more beneficial to take computer information systems and try to learn game programming on the side, I dont know how hard game development is, or take the game development course? I want a job after college but it doesnt have to be with an industry, I want to make games period, I wanted to be able to make games, job or no job in it. We are all adults, we need jobs. I think CIS will give me more of a chance of landing a job, but will it prepare me enough to develop games? I'm torn with this and need a push from the public. Sorry if this is long but next year will be when I enroll and dont want to make a mistake.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: associates in computer information systems or game development

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: associates in computer information systems or game development

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

I have done searches on monster.com, indeed.com, and other job search sites which brings me down a little because I dont want to waste this one chance I have to go to school and still end up working somewhere a high school or ged grad can even after my graduation.

I am unclear how job searching is bringing you down.

So would it be more beneficial to take computer information systems and try to learn game programming on the side, I dont know how hard game development is, or take the game development course?

Game development can be hard.. it's a rough industry to break into since any who played a game believes they really really want to make one.

I would talk with the school counselors about the placement rate for folks getting their "Game Development, A.A.S." degree. It's not unheard of folks getting a comp sci degree and developing games on their own.. the whole indie folk come to mind.

I think CIS will give me more of a chance of landing a job, but will it prepare me enough to develop games?

Knowing how to program is the first step in knowing how to make a videogame.. it certainly won't hurt.

I'm torn with this and need a push from the public. Sorry if this is long but next year will be when I enroll and dont want to make a mistake.

No one here knows you, but you're an adult - make a choice that best fits you. I have no idea what your drive, goals, work ethic, or background is.. If you have the determination then go get a game degree and be ready to work hard to get a portfolio, make some demos, and hit the ground running on job placement. You'll have to move, right? Expect to factor that in towards the end of your school. Have a resume.. have demos.. have a portfolio.. be up to date on game trends and companies.. etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:20 AM

Thanks, my real goal is just to develop games. It doesnt have to be with a AAA company, I was just wondering if I would be able to do so with a computer information systems associates degree.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:41 AM

Look at the course schedule. Does it adequately cover some programming topics? If so then there you go. Plenty of folk have learned to program games and do *NOT* have a degree - so yes.. it is more than possible.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1