6 Replies - 1504 Views - Last Post: 31 December 2013 - 10:30 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Undecided on a path in Software Dev vs I.T Security

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:59 PM

Hi All,

So I have begun the process of transitioning from my present career into either one of two new careers A) Software Development (Game Dev or Mobile App Dev ) or B) I.T. Particularly System, Network and Web Penetration Tester or Malware Anylyst tracks.

Admittedly, I am a complete Noob coming from a completely unrelated field (other than scripting in 3DSMax and Maya).

I am currently learning C++ and am resolute in becoming competent in that particular language for a litany of reasons. I am aware of it's inherent difficulties. I am not intimidated by them in the least even though I probably should be :). My greatest weakness is Math. I am currently at an introductory Algebra level which I am teaching myself as well.

Unless their is a consensus that says my pursuance of C++ is a horrible idea, or a different language would be more useful in the pursuance of either career track enumerated above I will stick with C++.

The question is this, because at this point I have no way of knowing whether or not I possess the qualities needed for succeeding in either pursuits would I be undermining my efforts by studying C++, the maths , and the requisite course ware for Comp Tia certification at the same time?

I apologize in advance if this is long winded and/or convoluted and I thank you in advance for your input.

Avi

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Undecided on a path in Software Dev vs I.T Security

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Undecided on a path in Software Dev vs I.T Security

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:18 PM

So last time it was webdev vs software dev, and now software dev vs infosec? Interesting.

because at this point I have no way of knowing whether or not I possess the qualities needed for succeeding in either pursuits

Honestly - no one here does.. nor the freshman coming out of high school nor the sixty-something in a midlife crisis. Either you trust you have the ability, by now, to learn and apply or you fear the unknown enough and don't try.

would I be undermining my efforts by studying C++, the maths , and the requisite course ware for Comp Tia certification at the same time?

What?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:50 PM

Hi Modi 123_1,

I apologize as it seems that my post has irritated you. I in no way wanted to waste your time. I am very much investigating/soul searching. This is a huge transition for me. It is encouraging to know that a vast number of people are just trusting their gut.

My rationale in learning C++ over Java is that The book "Think like a programmer" utilizes C++ code in it's exercises. I wanted to utilize that book in conjunction with "The pragmatic programmer" to not only learn the particular language, and it's trappings. Also, I want to cultivate thinking like a programmer.

I was also considering taking the following to get a taste of what I.T is . I suppose my asking if I would be biting off more than I can chew can't really be answered by any one other than me so once again I apologize. :

http://www.vtc.com/p...1-Tutorials.htm

http://www.vtc.com/p...s-Tutorials.htm

Thank you again,

Avi
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:54 AM

Here's something to consider. How are you going to break out of your current career and enter into the new field, or do you plan on attending a university? Basically, how will you convince your future employer that they should hire you with no professional experience if not going to a university.

I'm not knowledgeable on security but it might be significantly easier to write applications to show experience vs. doing something in IT security. You might have security certs but what makes employers want to hire you over certs + experience? With programming you can show your portfolio.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:40 AM

CP3,

Thank you for your input I agree completely. I have decided to enter a Masters program in C.S. I think that makes the most sense. The Masters itself opens doors that otherwise would not open. In addition it is becoming very clear to me that there is so much more to Computer Science than programming. Not to minimize programming in any way as I do want to program but I owe it to myself to investigate all that C.S has to offer me and vice versa.

Thanks

Avi
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:14 AM

I totally agree that going for a University degree is a very good and attractive thing to do, but keep in mind that potential employers in the IT industry, interview/test/assess what you can really do, and not just what you already know. It is similar to what the information is comprised of: data. Unrelated data cannot make information at least useful.
As for what path to take, programming/development or IT security, you must take into account that the really good ones in information security, have a very strong background in programming, so either way you must learn coding and software development principles. Also I personally found somewhat strange the reasoning you have about learning C++. This is in no way a simple programming language to learn, is a real giant, a million uses (if not more) tool and is definitely worthing learn the basics of it, for whatever programming career you choose. In my opinion, it's not that easy to choose, but whatever you choose, learn the basics of programming and software development in various languages, so to get the background you'll need to go to a higher level. Nothing happens with the push of a button in knowledge, we just have to be loyal and dedicated as we go through steep learning curves.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:30 AM

I can give you a bit of perspective from the infosec/netsec world. As you can see from my sig, I'm certified in infosec (CISSP), though I've never been through a master's program in it. One thing I can say is that certs are important in this particular sub-field. Another thing is, it's a moving target. Oh, sure, most CS-related fields are, but this is in a class of its own. What with new exploits being released every day, you really, really have to stay on top of continuing education, whether you're red team or blue team (pen testers vs defenders). I don't even work in a security-related role; I took the training and tests to get a leg-up on other developers (the vast majority of whom are not half as security-conscious as they tend to think), and I still have to get something like 40 credit hours of training a year to maintain my certification.

It's a super interesting field, to be sure. There are exploits out there that will blow your mind. Tools that make hacking as easy as choosing menu options. Brilliant people that are extremely willing to share knowledge. Expos and conventions where almost anything goes (defcon, blackhat, etc...) But there's the downsides of course. Not only the moving target thing, but it's also a bit of an "insider's club". For example, the cert I got, you have to get someone who already has it to review your resume to make sure you fit the requirements. Your reputation is everything; since the field of security professionals is so small, people inside tend to remember the other people.

So, I can't really advise you either way. I will say that studying programming in no way will hurt your experience in Info/Netsec. A lot of exploits are found by using debugging skills, so that's just a simple example of how being a programmer can help you be a security researcher.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1