Get the late 13" rMBP or wait for 2014?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 1183 Views - Last Post: 18 December 2013 - 10:22 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Get the late 13" rMBP or wait for 2014?

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:45 PM

Thinking about getting my first apple computer/macbook pro. Will be using it for comp sci in college and application/webdevelopment with parallels for my work. Will there be an early 2014 model that is drastically changed? 13" Quad core, 8gb ram as the base model instead of the current 4gb ram and dual core on the 13".

If no wait:

A junior in college majoring in Computer Science. I will be looking to do application/web development for my job as well as application/software development for my classes. I am deciding between either the 13 non-retina mbp and upgraded to 8GB RAM or the 13 Retina middle model w/ 8gb ram and 256gb ssd. I will be looking to running parallels or some sort of virtual machine for Windows 8.1 (don't want to bootcamp since I don't want to have to restart every time I want to switch or partition). Will the dual-cores of the 13 inches be able to handle parallels and run decently while compiling/editing (microsoft visual studio 2012)?
This will be my first MAC and I am looking to getting the special financing option. If I opt for the non-retina, I will not get Applecare until the year is almost over. If I get the retina middle model, I will get Applecare immediately to get the 18month financing option instead of the 12month.
Is there that big of a difference between the non-retina and the retina? It's ~$340 difference in general after the student discount. College budget here, but I have a paid internship doing web/application development.

I am also scared of how everything is attached in the rMBP (glued battery / soldered RAM)... wondering if it will last longer than the regular MBP with customizable/movable parts.

Wanting this next laptop purchase to be suitable/usable/decent for about 5 years into either my graduate school or independent development. The battery life also pleases me in the rMBP.

Anyone with similar experience in purchasing a mbp?

Thanks
V

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Get the late 13" rMBP or wait for 2014?

#2 creativecoding  Icon User is online

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Get the late 13" rMBP or wait for 2014?

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:57 PM

If you're running a virtual machine I would recommend quad-core minimum and AT LEAST 4gb of ram, recommend 8. Is a MBP a requirement? Ask around. Often times classes will "require" certain hardware for no reason. In my own opinion, MBPs are more of a luxury than they are a tool solely because of what you mentioned (inability to upgrade). So if you can, don't get an MBP - I wouldn't. The price of a MBP will get you double/triple with other companies.

but if it is required yes I would pay the extra money for a quad core and 8gb ram.

Also I hear that Apple's refurbished products are always good as new. If that's an option to cut costs, I would take it and possibly use the money you save on an extended warranty.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:06 AM

I was originally intending to get the middle 13" model 8GB RAM retina and applecare for a total of $1720 after education pricing. The reason why I'm interested in the MBP is due to the aesthetics of OS X appealing to me as well as my desire to develop iOS apps in the future for personal experience/possible collaborations with friends. The battery life is also an amazing feature that I can't get over. Will 8GB RAM be adequate for parallels(virtual machine) onto WINDOWS 8.1?
Will definitely look into some of the refurbs.

I've been wandering on macrumors forums and some have speculated the 2014 base 13" model to have 8GB RAM and quad-core for the same price as the 4GB RAM and dual-core model for now. Definitely struck between now, or later.
Side note; apple is also having a holiday return offer - buy before dec25 and i can return it no questions asked so I'm thinking about picking up a base model to see if I really like the feel. Never had an apple computer before.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Atli  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:48 AM

To be honest with you, I don't see the logic behind buying a Mac for this situation. Your school work will be largely Windows dependent, will it not? And your web-dev work is OS independent. So your reasons for buying a Mac are essentially:

• The aesthetic appeal of OS X.
  • Unspecified future plans for iOS development.

And for this you are willing to:

• Suffer unknown performance/usability hits on your school work. - Which you will, regardless of how you choose to set the whole thing up. And given that this is a laptop, I'd assume the worse end of the spectrum here.
  • Pay Apple's extravagant prices. - Plus the price of Windows, since that won't come with the Mac, and is not exactly cheap by itself.

Buying a normal Windows PC would undoubtedly be far less expensive, and a whole lot more convenient.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#5 creativecoding  Icon User is online

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:56 AM

yeah like I said it doesn't sound like it's required you have a Mac... I'm not one to judge but dropping $17000 (after discounts!) on a laptop would probably get you an F in a financial class.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:14 AM

Eh... a Mac brings more to the table than just colors and fanzy shit animating on the window chrome. With a mac you get access to tools like Homebrew, the power of a unix terminal, you can install a myriad of tools that simplify you're dev life such as Postgres App; literally just open the app and you have a postgres database server running.

http://postgresapp.com/

All of these things add up and make for a nicer more streamlined developer machine.

Note this is coming from a guy who owns a 27 inch imac and a $1300 windows custom made box with ssd etc. I use one for Windows dev asp.net etc, the imac for everything else.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 Atli  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:12 PM

You will have a hard time arguing that, overall, the tools for Macs are better than those that exist for Windows or Linux. We could probably argue their relative merits the rest of our lives and never come up with a conclusive winner. In the end - all else being equal - it more or less comes down to personal preference.

The point I was trying to make is that give that Windows is a requirement in this situation, and OS X is not, opting for OS X with Windows in a VM is not optimal. Especially when you couple that with the extra cost. - Unless you're absolutely determined, for whatever reason, to use OS X as your main OS, it just doesn't make sense.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:52 AM

And not to mention the price-tag of $1720 seems rather high. Maybe things are more expensive in the US, but I'm sure you could get a laptop with better specs for less money. Like the Samsung Series 7 Ultra. It's currently around $1300.

View Postcreativecoding, on 15 December 2013 - 08:56 AM, said:

*snip* dropping $17000 (after discounts!) *snip*

I would love to have $17,000 to drop on a laptop! :D

This post has been edited by belgarion262: 16 December 2013 - 07:53 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 supersloth  Icon User is online

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:06 PM

ignore everyone and get what you want. nobody is else is gonna be using it, if you want a macbook get one, if not get a dell or whatever. it doesn't honestly matter.

HERE however, is a very reliable buyers guide that tells you, that if you have decided to buy an apple product, whether you should get it now or wait for the new release: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

unfortunately, their current recommendation is neutral, which probably doesn't help you at all.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:40 AM

Ignore everyone? I thought the idea of him posting was to get advice? Seems silly to ask for advice and then ignore it :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:52 AM

View Postbelgarion262, on 17 December 2013 - 08:40 AM, said:

Ignore everyone? I thought the idea of him posting was to get advice? Seems silly to ask for advice and then ignore it :P/>

He asked for advice, and Sloths advice was to make a decision based on his personal preference. Advice to not take other peoples advice is still advice lol
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:58 AM

personally i dont know why anyoen would buy anything under 15" mac or not

my opion is as follows:

17000000000 for 13" computer is just rediculous
retina scan -- who cares
apple-- not exactly cutting edge anymore
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 supersloth  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:41 PM

retina scan?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 Atli  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:01 PM

It does kind of sound like something Apple would do, doesn't it; add a retina scan login system :)
(Would be kind of cool actually. In theory at least.)

But no. Retina Display.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 supersloth  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

oh i know what it means, i'm wondering if daren does.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +