• (2 Pages)
  • +

19 Replies - 1395 Views - Last Post: 24 September 2007 - 10:00 AM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Contract Jobs and more

Post icon  Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:38 AM

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I have a lot of questions concerning getting a job in the industry.

First of all, where do you find contract jobs?

What should your portfolio look like, is there a way I can see examples? Should it be on a website? I suck at making anything for me, I can do great work all day long, but when it comes to doing something for myself, it's always totally lame. Anyway...

Are there many part-time contracts?

Are there many you can do from home, and do they provide the tools you need?

Aside from contract jobs, I am about to graduate with a Bach in Software Engineering. Are there jobs that you can get into that are just like for requirements engineering, or designing, where you really don't code, but can eventually learn to code? I went to an online fast learning school so, I didn't get in much practice, I can't just jump into coding, and I want to do Java. That is what we learned a bit of in school.

Right now I have been working with ColdFusion and MySQL and I like it ok, which is why I was asking about contract jobs. I hate that it isn't true OOP and I really want to get my hands dirty in Java. Once school is over I have a huge Java tutorial book I am going to work through. It gets into some pretty complex stuff. I know the basics but that is about it. I really would like to start out doing requirements or design though so I can get a better foundation on logic, and I really like figuring out how a program is going to work, I think I will be really strong in this area.

What types of companies hire people like that?

Where should I go to find them?

What should my resume look like?

Ok so it wasn't 1001, which is good for you right? I would appreciate any advice.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Contract Jobs and more

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Contract Jobs and more

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:43 AM

This may or may not be helpful with your question...

http://www.onetcodeconnector.org/

I use this site to build buzzwords on my resume. Sure I (may) know what I'm talking about, & the person interviewing me will know what I'm talking about, & what he or she is asking me. However, the person whom that will interview me isn't usually the person whom that decides who to bring into the interview. So you need to play the game of "Match what HR was told 'qualifies'".

I've used this site on 4 of my friends & landed them all jobs in the industry. Pretty good huh? 4 for 4! I would take their resume & type in their desired field/industry, & change similar words & terms. So the information presented is not only true, but more accurate & pin-pointed.

Hope this helps.

This post has been edited by no2pencil: 20 September 2007 - 07:46 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:45 AM

Quick example of what you may be looking at. A guy I work with (technically work FOR) got a business license for the few local surrounding counties. He then started going to different companies seeing if they needed a web-presence or if they wanted tech work. Some of these companies offer part-full time contract jobs. There are stipulations. When we get a call from say an electric company that we do their office computer work, by contract we have to be there within 4 hours of the service call time. Now I am a sub-contractor under him. When he gets jobs to do web-design I build the sites and get a percentage of the original cost. So the best thing is likely to start contacting various IT companies or whatever field it is your going in and ask them if they need sub-contractors or any full time work. Something to that extent, play the field and see what works out for you. You likely won't get what you want in the beginning but work experience adds up over time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:47 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 20 Sep, 2007 - 07:43 AM, said:

I use this site to build buzzwords on my resume. Sure I (may) know what I'm talking about, & the person interviewing me will know what I'm talking about, & what he or she is asking me. However, the person whom that will interview me isn't usually the person whom that decides who to bring into the interview. So you need to play the game of "Match what HR was told 'qualifies'".

I've used this site on 4 of my friends & landed them all jobs in the industry. Pretty good huh? 4 for 4! I would take their resume & type in their desired field/industry, & change similar words & terms. So the information presented is not only true, but more accurate & pin-pointed.

Hope this helps.

hrm...cool that is very useful, thanks

anyone else?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:15 AM

I'm going to feature this, I think it's a good discussion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:43 AM

In my experience its who you know. If you live in a place like austin and know people at a lot of companies that do your sorta work, I can walk into any number of places and see if they have any work that needs done. Beyond that its pretty intensive on your part to find the work, it doesn't always come looking for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:56 AM

i just wear short shorts and a t-shirt that says 'i am to please' to every interview. it's never not worked.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:58 AM

View Postsupersloth, on 20 Sep, 2007 - 08:56 AM, said:

i just wear short shorts and a t-shirt that says 'i am to please' to every interview. it's never not worked.

True, but then again you are 'down at the docks' after midnight & not actually in an office environment.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:59 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 20 Sep, 2007 - 07:43 AM, said:

I wish I'd seen that a few weeks ago. It looks like a really cool resource.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:41 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 20 Sep, 2007 - 09:58 AM, said:

True, but then again you are 'down at the docks' after midnight & not actually in an office environment.

it works well for both environments. they wouldn't say "business casual" if they didn't mean it, would they?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:02 AM

thats what you get kenworthy.
leaving a viable thread in the lounge.

instantly ruined like your mom after the meth.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:05 AM

View Postsupersloth, on 20 Sep, 2007 - 09:41 AM, said:

View Postno2pencil, on 20 Sep, 2007 - 09:58 AM, said:

it works well for both environments. they wouldn't say "business casual" if they didn't mean it, would they?

thats causal casual theres no business about it silly ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2007 - 11:59 AM

oh believe me, it's all bidness.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:07 PM

so what about the big corporate jobs? Do they really hire 'requirements engineers' and such, those who don't code but are apart of the process?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:31 PM

I don't know how big you are talking, but my experience is that corporate jobs suck.

I worked at fortune 500 company, & my skills went to waste. After a year I finally got into the Unix department. My 1st assignment... Java. I had never even touched Java. So again, I'm not doing anything. All of my books were from '96, & the test server had 3 different versions of Tom Cat. The production servers had an even older version. My coding environment, had the latest Java compiler & latest Tom Cat release, so nothing was compatible. Most of my days were spent posting here, doing my own work for my small business, & listening to my iPod while collecting a check. Everything has to go through a bunch of levels for authorization. No one asks how or why you are implementing a change. My 2 of input got taxed for about 7, so the end result was, they didn't care. *shrug* To beat it all, it paid crap.

I don't know what this has to do with your question, but basicaly there is no telling what they will do, or why the requirements are the way that they are. Everything is pointless & by the end of the day, nothing was accomplished.

This post has been edited by no2pencil: 20 September 2007 - 01:32 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +