9 Replies - 1091 Views - Last Post: 30 December 2013 - 03:45 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Best Side Coding Job (Student)

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

Hi,

I did an apprenticeship as a web dev. I'll start studying physics next summer and need some money. What are the best ways to make money as a side job? Since I live in Switzerland, most freelancing websites on the net aren't very good since this country is expensive. I saw stuff like 15$/h etc. you can't make a living out of that.

So, what's the best option I have? I'm willing to learn something different.

Currently I'm doing some mobiel game development (for fun). I could make a "company" and do homepages/mobile apps, but I can't design so I'd need a second man. I also don't liek to do homepages since I want to code but I don't want to accept bigger projects since I want to keep it small and flexibel.

So, what would you do? My hope is getting somethign started myself... Any product or something I can sell instead of a service. (Who wouldn't? Maybe I'm dreaming too much)

I also thought of creating assets (code/plugins) for Software like Unity (Game Engine)

But most of this ideas are unreliable.

Any ideas?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Best Side Coding Job (Student)

#2 Apokio  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Re: Best Side Coding Job (Student)

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:34 PM

If you are doing mobile game development put some apps on the app stores for the platform that you develop for. I am a little unclear on what you are looking for since you say side jobs but at $15 an hour you can't make a living. Side jobs usually aren't for making a living they are just for extra cash.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

View PostApokio, on 15 December 2013 - 03:34 PM, said:

If you are doing mobile game development put some apps on the app stores for the platform that you develop for. I am a little unclear on what you are looking for since you say side jobs but at $15 an hour you can't make a living. Side jobs usually aren't for making a living they are just for extra cash.

English isn't my native langauge so I can't express myself very well. What I mean is a Job to earn enough money to live, of course, I don't need much since I'm a student. 15$/hour is like nothing in Switzerland. You are a working poor if you have this salary. This is just because in online freelancer portals, you have people from all over the world where 15$ might be quite decent.

I'm just asking, what type of work is the most probitable as a web dev or similar. I don't have as much experience as the most people in here (I just guess), also some might have been in the same situation etc. so I just hoped someone can give me some thoughts about it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:28 PM

So you want small, easy, flexible work that pays ridiculous amounts of money? Seems legit.

Put some stuff on the App/Play store, do a few $15/hour jobs, save up.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:08 AM

View PostXaos, on 15 December 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

So you want small, easy, flexible work that pays ridiculous amounts of money? Seems legit.

Put some stuff on the App/Play store, do a few $15/hour jobs, save up.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I was just writing some big answer but it's just wast of 0 and 1. If you are reading my post like that, you better not talk with me in this thread. Thanks

Sry for naming one stupid number. It was an example and if someone doesn't understand the salaray differneces between countries, he shouldn't be talkign in this thread either. I won't answer any arguing anymore.

So, again, my question was: Can you name me some options I have which are godo for earning money as a student? I can't do 500h projects, which I think is something I don't have to explain. What's your experience? Would you stick with doing Plugins/Themes for CMS/Software? Do simple Homepages? Try my luck with an own Software? etc.

Thanks.

This post has been edited by xotix: 16 December 2013 - 03:10 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:12 AM

The problem we seem to have here is that you want a "small and flexible" job that pays well (by Switzerland standards), but have not a large amount of experience/expertise.

If you want money for Uni then I'd advise getting a part time job at a restaurant or something similar, and then work on your programming skills in your free time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:35 AM

It's not easy for a part time student freelancer to find a job that pays well. Generally, people who are willing to pay well hire dedicated and proven professionals, while those who need something done cheap are willing to gamble on the less experienced and/or less dedicated.

Also, I don't think picking the right project or area of development will improve your odds at all. This is pretty much the same deal regardless of what you are doing.

If you can find a steady part time job somewhere, that might improve things. Perhaps an entry level IT position somewhere.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:54 AM

Not sure why this is in the lounge, moved to Freelancing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:04 AM

Spoiler

Let's scale back the testy replies there, chief. People are just trying to help.

Reread what folks are telling you. If you cannot find local freelance work at what ever pay you need, the alternative is to take a whole mess of international freelance gigs (for less than what you are looking to do) and get a process to knock them down in quick fashion. There is no magical "low input/high payout" jobs or we all would be doing them. Conversely you can get a part time job, locally, doing tech support or working for a pc repair shop.

Would you stick with doing Plugins/Themes for CMS/Software?

Is it paying you well? If so then sure.. if not is it a job that requires more input to make the money you need?

Do simple Homepages?

Who is looking for a simple homepage anymore? Typically it is moderately complex work.

Try my luck with an own Software?

Do you have the ideas, time to code, etc and can wait until the app/software is out and gains traction for pay?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:45 AM

I have read all the posts and ill share my experience when I was a undergraduate

Freelancing is not an easy option, there is many experienced developers trolling freelance sites who do jobs for little to no money simply to build a portfolio. So if your looking to make any real cash I wouldn't explore this.

Your a student, get a part-time job doing anything . . Bar , shop, restaurant etc

In your spare time, build applications to keep your skills going, you would be amazed how quickly they will leave you if you are not doing anything on a regular basis

When applying for job, at the interview stage its great to show your passion threw your own work. This is a huge advantage over everyone else because employers can get people with high grades.

Employers always ask "So what have you been doing since you graduated"
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1