• (3 Pages)
  • +

32 Replies - 2901 Views - Last Post: 14 January 2014 - 08:35 AM

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

New Year Resolutions

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:57 AM

Ok, so I'm a bit early, but I'm not going to be around much between wednesday of this week and the new year, so I thought I'd throw this one out there.

Has anyone decided on a resolution (or more than one) for the new year yet?

I have two. Both are health related. One is to lose weight, do my physical health some good. The other is to do my mental health some good. I'm going to get out of this shitpile I work in, and try to get a job somewhere where the staff are decent people and treat their employees fairly and with respect.

The past year and a half in this hellhole has been getting steadily worse, ever since our MD informed me that I was a 'pariah' and 'figure of hate' to some of my co-workers, until now I'm pretty much on the verge of a nervous breakdown. If I could afford it, I would go unemployed and live on benefits for a while to get my head fixed, but I can't, so stuck here until I find someplace else.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: New Year Resolutions

• Stressed Out Programmer

• View blog

Re: New Year Resolutions

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:40 AM

New Years Resolutions:
No Puffing or Smoking by the End of 2014
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:43 AM

I've got so many things I should probably start doing, or rather start doing again. New years resolution will probably to start working on my list of things to do :D

Such as starting running again, engaging in some more social activities/clubs, starting writing again, learning guitar like I keep meaning to etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 BenignDesign  Icon User is online

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:03 AM

Now that I have quit smoking, I've put on a fair chunk of the weight I took off in the first half of the year (not all of it, but enough that my jeans are leaving lovely red waistband indents in my flesh... I haven't gone up a size, but I am damned close). So, after I finish gorging myself on Christmas goodies and New Year's leftovers, I'll be refocusing on being healthy.

It's rumored that a new gym is to be opening five miles from my house, and my kids are old enough now that I can leave them at home in bed while I pop out to the gym for an hour in the early morning. I really hope the rumor is true, I miss my old gym membership - I felt soooo much better when I was sweating my ass off three days a week.

Additionally, I've been working on tracking my psycho insomniac sleep patterns - they're rather consistent. So now I want to start focusing on ways to consolidate and extend. Instead of sleeping from 12-1:30, from 2:00-2:45, and from 3:15-4:00, I'd like to consolidate those 3 hours into one solid lump of time... then find a medication-free method of extending those three hours into five hours per night. Five solid, uninterrupted hours of sleep per night sounds heavenly (I currently average 3.5 non-consecutive).

I suspect healthier living will lead to a domino effect of overall improvement in my life (ie, more energy = more productivity at work, less stress = happier home life for the kids, etc., etc.). Here's hoping!
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:35 AM

POPULAR

View PostBenignDesign, on 16 December 2013 - 10:03 AM, said:

It's rumored that a new gym is to be opening five miles from my house,

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:36 AM

Since it's not been said yet.

5760 x 1080

But in a serious manner, I do want to lose about 30 lbs. And I can cross off stop smoking now.

This post has been edited by MathewS: 16 December 2013 - 08:38 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:12 AM

I want to lose the weight I gained after joining school, and maybe 20 lbs more. In general I need to rely less on eating out and pack more. Since I'm working at the Med Center, and the mechanical room has a microwave, this should help greatly. On that note I need to be more frugal with my money. I want to start putting $10-20 a paycheck into a secret hidy hole to save. I would also like to have 90-95% of my range of motion and strength back in my elbow. I know I'll never be 100% again, but I'd like to get 95% of it back. :( I also need to get my GPA up and declare my major, which requires a 2.75 GPA (I think Fall semester it's increasing to 3.0. fffuuuuuuuu) and my GPA is 2.22 now. I did a realistic estimate of next semester, and it'll only be 2.57. I would have to get 3 A's and 1 B to get in, and I'm taking my 2 engineering classes, my medievil history (history is not my forte and I heard the professor grades hard), and engineering stats (also not my forte; it's going to slay me). I'm fucked.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:19 AM

don't believe in new years resolutions. personally i believe that if you want to make changes to your life there's no reason to assign it to some arbitrary date, that just leads to failure. do it today, december 16th. just go fucking do it.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#9 Michael26  Icon User is online

• DIC-head, major DIC-head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:24 AM

I'm noticing a pattern in you wishes and messages, can you guess what it is? :detective:
If you do you'll know my wish also :)

do it today, december 16th. just go fucking do it.

Hey supersloth, have seen the movie Yes Man starring Jim Carey? Is that is what you want to do?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 BenignDesign  Icon User is online

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:25 AM

View Postsupersloth, on 16 December 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

do it today, december 16th. just go fucking do it.

No.

Because I want to do it. But I also want fucking cookies.

I'll still be a fat ass when the cookies are gone.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:36 AM

View PostMichael26, on 16 December 2013 - 09:24 AM, said:

Hey supersloth, have seen the movie Yes Man starring Jim Carey? Is that is what you want to do?

i have not seen this movie and do not understand what you mean.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:41 AM

It's not that I'm assigning a specific date, it's more or less a benchmark. I'm already working on my range of motion and have about 80% of it back, and now that that crazy-ass semester is over and I know what to expect from this school I can move forward. I'm planning on walking on the treadmill while watching Archer for the next 2 weeks, then when school starts do the c25k program again because I have a nice little gap in my schedule for work outs and studying. Also, school obviously starts after the new year.

TL;DR: It's not so much a starting/ending date as it is a benchmark.

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 16 December 2013 - 09:41 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 Michael26  Icon User is online

• DIC-head, major DIC-head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:55 AM

View Postsupersloth, on 16 December 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

View PostMichael26, on 16 December 2013 - 09:24 AM, said:

i have not seen this movie and do not understand what you mean.

It is a movie about living in a moment, and although it looks great in the beginning, longterm consequences start to pile in.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:27 PM

View Postsupersloth, on 16 December 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

don't believe in new years resolutions. personally i believe that if you want to make changes to your life there's no reason to assign it to some arbitrary date, that just leads to failure. do it today, december 16th. just go fucking do it.

Absolutely. I just sort of start doing it. Current resolution is to put more money towards my student loans, increase gym-time to a more respectable amount (I go, but not often enough), and work on some more side projects.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:32 PM

My new years resolution: I'm going to be nice to someone.

Just to see what it feels like.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +