3 Replies - 518 Views - Last Post: 17 December 2013 - 01:47 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Questions about game development

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

Topic title is not best in the world, but if you are reading this it's probably good enough ;)

So, I think I would like to start developing a game. What kind of game, you might wonder. I'm not sure. I think I'll probably make 2D RPG game (like those old zeldas). I would be challenging enough for a beginner but not too hard. But here comes actual questions.

Choosing license:

Mostly between open source and closed source. Open would be nice and fair because I have personally learned a lot from open source project. But if I ever wanted to actually sell my game, open source would block that. It would be nice to hear some opinions. :)

Choosing language:

Everyone is asking this, so I want to become part of mainstream. But now I really want to hear stuff like pros and cons, why I should/shouldn't pick something and other helpful stuff. I know that C++ is THE game development language, but it seems strange to me. I have been coding with Java for one year now and I have recently read some C# tutorials. I have also heard that Python is a viable option too. But for example, I'll give some pros and cons to Java:
Pros:
- I know how to use it (no need for basic tutorials)
- Multi-platform
Cons:
- It's pretty unefficient in games

So, there was my question, I hope to hear some answers and opinions from you guy and I hope this is a good post because this is my first real post on this forum AND English isn't my native language. :)

Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Questions about game development

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Questions about game development

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:19 PM

So, I think I would like to start developing a game.
Choosing license:

Mostly between open source and closed source. Open would be nice and fair because I have personally learned a lot from open source project. But if I ever wanted to actually sell my game, open source would block that. It would be nice to hear some opinions. :)

Call me cynical, but if you are unsure what you are developing (and haven't developed a game before) you probably are not going to be selling this first project. I would suggest worrying about this later.

Choosing language:

Everyone is asking this, so I want to become part of mainstream. But now I really want to hear stuff like pros and cons, why I should/shouldn't pick something and other helpful stuff.

Read the pinned threads and the ton of similar questions asked on a routine basis.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:29 PM

I agree with what modi123_1 said. But I might add that there has to be a way to do 2D games in Java. I've heard of too many people doing that. So, there must be a library or access through OpenGL or DirectX or something to speed up the efficiency of Java (the problem is talking directly to the graphics card rather than Java itself). So, maybe look into Java as an option if you like Java.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

View PostBBeck, on 17 December 2013 - 10:29 PM, said:

I agree with what modi123_1 said. But I might add that there has to be a way to do 2D games in Java. I've heard of too many people doing that. So, there must be a library or access through OpenGL or DirectX or something to speed up the efficiency of Java (the problem is talking directly to the graphics card rather than Java itself). So, maybe look into Java as an option if you like Java.

There's LWJGL (if I remember letters correctly) but I'm not sure what it allows to do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1