3 Replies - 532 Views - Last Post: 20 December 2013 - 05:20 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

GCC to CLang reposted

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:17 PM

Traverso-DAW was originally built using GCC for the compiler and Qt's CMake build system.
I have come upon the following errors while porting this application suite to FreeBSD 10 i386 using CLang/LLVM as the compiler set.
1. Overloaded virtual function when absolute values are paired with unstated QString values.
2. Lack of the use of grep and find to determine the location of a library, header, or such.
3. References to intermediate builds of other applications that were finished before the project was semi abandoned.
4. Confusion between bitset.h and _sigset.h

Now all of these reasons are why I posted http://www.dreaminco...0&#entry1947530 .

Had #2 modi123_1 taken the time to ask why, on what, when, where, and other question then he/she would understand why it is a nightmare in code.

Now, for those who do use CLang these referenced errors are but a few common to both GCC and many Linux developers.
Others are:
1. No standard location for third party applications.
2. No standard location for third party libraries, configurations and such.
3. Common practice of patching and not rewriting the code.
4. Development of more layers to deal with problems at the driver/interface level.

I've done and still do porting to FreeBSD and OpenBSD as operating systems and to the PowerPC/POWER, SPARC64, ARM32/64, i386, and amd64/x86_64 architectures. I do know a code nightmare when I see one.

GCC has become patchy and bulky while eliminating support for non common yet developing architctures and sub-architectures; therefore, I shall repost the original statement of:

"Considering that CLang shows more errors, will the GCC patchiness be eradicated? "

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: GCC to CLang reposted

#2 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: GCC to CLang reposted

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:34 PM

Had #2 modi123_1 taken the time to ask why, on what, when, where, and other question then he/she would understand why it is a nightmare in code.

Why should anyone have to ask all these questions?

Personally, if I felt it was necessary to ask all these questions, then I would just move on with my life.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

If a person is moderating a subforum which will contain references to all computer languages, maths, operating systems, CPU architectures, and so on and so on and Scooby Dooby Doo-bee, then that person should have a comprehensive if not working knowledge of all code. This would mean the moderator would need to understand obscure references to closed, military, and experimental systems not available to the general public from both former and current countries and nationalities.

To reply directly to you::
If all programmers, porters, coders, developers, et al were as apathetic as you, then we wouldn't have shit for technology of any sort.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:20 PM

This is a forum. If you (or anyone) wants to start a topic, take the time to start a topic worthwhile for discussion. That is, don't just post vague statements that require someone have super specialized knowledge to comprehend, as you did in your first post. In the help forums, is "I have homework. Need help" a useful post? Obviously not; it gives us no basis for how to help. If someone posts in the lounge that says "The market is doing well today, don't you think?", that is very vague to discuss. What exactly about the market do you think is interesting? If you have a nightmare in code, explain why it is a nightmare. And by the way- I would have closed your thread, too. It's a matter of site policy, not a personal call Modi made.

If there is something about posting that you really don't understand, feel free to PM me though. Please do not PM me just to gripe more though.

Also, further discussions on posting patterns should not be continued in this thread and such posts will be removed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1