• (2 Pages)
  • +

24 Replies - 2475 Views - Last Post: 03 January 2014 - 06:18 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What can/should I learn?

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:43 PM

Hello guys,

So, I was looking to the forums and I noticed that I know nothing. How did I noticed that because I wasn't understanding anything. :) I know this question is kind of a personal question but because of I want to learn more than one thing, I am more comfortable. Now, the programming languages that I want to learn are C#, C++, C, Python, Java and database languages are MySQL and Oracle. The topics are mobile programming, desktop programming, etc. but basically, I want to learn how to make program. It maybe a calculator, It maybe a text editor, It maybe something more complicated or even a graphic program, a game engine but these are later, of course. Well now, I had said I want to learn how to make a program but I don't know where to start and how to continue. Right now, I know arrays, loops and functions on C# and Python. I have a little MySQL knowledge, too. But whatelse should I learn? Or what do you suggest?

Thank you for all your answers.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What can/should I learn?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What can/should I learn?

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:16 PM

But whatelse should I learn? Or what do you suggest?

Grab a book or find an index on an amazon book and see the topics covered. Then think about breaking down problems into pieces you know and building them up.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:25 PM

And since you already have some familiarity with both C# and Python, pick one of them to run with and get good at.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:15 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 22 December 2013 - 03:16 PM, said:

But whatelse should I learn? Or what do you suggest?

Grab a book or find an index on an amazon book and see the topics covered. Then think about breaking down problems into pieces you know and building them up.

Hmm... I hadn't thought that. Thank you, I will do what you said.

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 22 December 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

And since you already have some familiarity with both C# and Python, pick one of them to run with and get good at.

I actually don't like studying on one language but I think I can say that I am doing that, right now. Such as, most of my time I am studying on Python but still thank you. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:31 PM

I actually don't like studying on one language

Being diversified is great. That being said, if you can't really run in one language, it doesn't make sense to dabble in different languages and not be able to really produce with any of them. Learn one language well and the concepts will transfer well in learning another. Best of luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 December 2013 - 07:19 AM

First of all, thank you. Now, I thought about what you said and it sounds like a good idea. But picking one language is a tough choice because popularity and job finding rate is important. And when I think about it, I know C++ is the source of so many big programs and games but my Google research shows that C is more popular and I know that C# combines the best parts of C++ and C, at least that's how I learned and I started programming with C#. So, C# is very important, too. Now, if I ask someone for their opinion, they will probably say C#, right? Because I started programming with C# and I am already familiar with it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:09 AM

It really doesn't matter which one you get solid first. The point is to pick one a focus on it until you can solve hard problems in it. If C# is what turns your crank, then C# is the right one. Me, I don't think C# is important in the least, but that's not what matters to you. What matters to you, right now, is getting to the point where you can look at a problem and see how you'd solve it in some language.

Once you have that, you'll find that your next languages come much more easily.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:09 AM

You should start with C, because C is the parent of most of the programming languages, after learning C you can learn any other language very easy :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:22 AM

And when I think about it, I know C++ is the source of so many big programs and games

Having goals is good, but the games industry is incredibly competitive. Don't hold your breath on getting a job there. At the very least, don't dump all your eggs into getting a job as a game developer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

POPULAR

View PostNicky24, on 25 December 2013 - 11:09 AM, said:

You should start with C, because C is the parent of most of the programming languages, after learning C you can learn any other language very easy :)/>

I can't agree with either half of this, unless by "other programming languages" you mean Java, C++, and C#. Most of the interesting languages in use today have only a passing similarity to C's Algol-style syntax, and most of them are high-level languages, not machine-level languages, so most of the complications of C are handled for you.

This doesn't mean that you shouldn't learn C - it's an interesting language, and learning it well will give you a very good head for the abstractions required in any programming - but treating it as a "stepping stone" language is not going to work out very well.

As for the "parent of most of the programming languages" - well, Jean Sammet put together a book of the "history of programming languages" in about 1968. It doesn't mention C, because C was still being invented at the time, but she and her publisher felt there was already enough history of programming languages to justify five or six hundred densely-written pages.

One glaring omission from your statement, of course, is lisp, which predates C by decades and is arguably much more influential on the languages you want to use today than C.

So learn C if you want to learn C, but don't learn it thinking that it's something you have to do to write programs - that simply isn't the case.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:52 AM

I'd highly recommend you learn Go. It's a programming language by Google created a couple of years ago, and it's exploding in popularity because it's simple to deploy anywhere, fast to build, very stingy with proper code exception handling, and very lean. In 2 to 3 years it will go mainstream if it follows the current growth trend.

Learn here: https://gobyexample.com/

Dead simple, and fasssst.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

First of all, thank you all for your opinions.

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 25 December 2013 - 08:09 AM, said:

It really doesn't matter which one you get solid first. The point is to pick one a focus on it until you can solve hard problems in it. If C# is what turns your crank, then C# is the right one. Me, I don't think C# is important in the least, but that's not what matters to you. What matters to you, right now, is getting to the point where you can look at a problem and see how you'd solve it in some language.

Once you have that, you'll find that your next languages come much more easily.

Well, the thing is problems were never hard for me. Though, they were little programs(maximum 40 lines or a little more maybe) with some loops and arrays. But, I am sure they are nothing towards the things I will learn and make. Since, I want to make programs for Microsoft platform mostly. I think C# would be nice.

View PostNicky24, on 25 December 2013 - 09:09 AM, said:

You should start with C, because C is the parent of most of the programming languages, after learning C you can learn any other language very easy :)/>

I don't know about learning C first, really. Even if my Google research shows that it's the most popular. Still, thank you for indicating your opinion. :)

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 25 December 2013 - 09:22 AM, said:

And when I think about it, I know C++ is the source of so many big programs and games

Having goals is good, but the games industry is incredibly competitive. Don't hold your breath on getting a job there. At the very least, don't dump all your eggs into getting a job as a game developer.

The important part there is "big programs". I just wrote the games with it. :) I had a dream to be a game developer but I never worked on it when I realized that I can't do it in my country even if I want to move to America when I learned programming and English. So, I wanted to be a software developer instead of game developer. :)

View PostSergio Tapia, on 25 December 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

I'd highly recommend you learn Go. It's a programming language by Google created a couple of years ago, and it's exploding in popularity because it's simple to deploy anywhere, fast to build, very stingy with proper code exception handling, and very lean. In 2 to 3 years it will go mainstream if it follows the current growth trend.

Learn here: https://gobyexample.com/

Dead simple, and fasssst.

Thank you Sergio, I may look at it. :)

And sorry for my English if it's not so good.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's just been revoked!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:57 PM

I don't know about learning C first, really. Even if my Google research shows that it's the most popular.

FWIW I wouldn't put too much faith in Google searching of "C". IMO most results will incorporate "C++" and other variants. I don't believe search engines can distinguish between pure-C and other languages. Similarly, I suspect that sites such as Tiobe put C too high up.

C is used primarily in systems-programming and teaching, but even in these areas people quite often mean C++ rather than C. I suggest that there are far more people programming in C++, C# and Java than in C.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:03 AM

View Postandrewsw, on 25 December 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

C is used primarily in systems-programming and teaching, but even in these areas people quite often mean C++ rather than C. I suggest that there are far more people programming in C++, C# and Java than in C.

Probably, you are right andrewsw. C will not be my first or second language to learn, anyway. I will probably look at it when I am done with the others.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:29 AM

I started programming using Pascal many years ago, but the real "boost" came when I learned the basics of C. I totally agree that is not a "must" or even worse "have to", to learn C, but because it is concise and extremely fast, can give you a good thinking framework, to learn other more modern and popular languages that are is some ways related to it. Many today's languages have the procedural style of C buried deep into them. Python is a very good language/tool to learn, and as for C# is a good one but I personally prefer Java.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +