4 Replies - 1283 Views - Last Post: 27 December 2013 - 07:17 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

simple Deploying to Production server

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:26 AM

What do you guys usually do when you finish a website and deploy it to a production server?

I copied and pasted my aspx, css, and a edited web.config - tons of little notepad edits here and there <customerrors mode=true> - and now I'm running into a problem. I have copied and pasted a dll in there too, then put it in a Bin folder, renamed it to bin, and then copied and pasted it in the root directory. It still says if I'm missing an assembly reference.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: simple Deploying to Production server

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: simple Deploying to Production server

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:45 AM

Ah.. you should be using the 'publish' and *NOT* copying all your solution over. I typically deploy it to a local folder and copy out to production.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:52 AM

I'm very confused as a beginner. My production server is a classic asp environment from third-party web developers. The IIS can read aspx files, but the directory I am copying to is all asp.

Would I still do 'publish'?

If I do publish, I seem to be having trouble with using "web deploy" to do so. I try to validate my connection but it says error destination not reachable.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:59 AM

Again.. deploy locally to a folder, take what's in that folder and put that in your production folder.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:17 AM

It took a while, but I got it working. From what I see, it adds the assembly in the web.config and with it, a public key token. Aside from my stupid directory management, I had to take out System.Linq reference and targetFramework.

I looked at a StackOverflow question concerning targetFrameworks and apparently I should use the earliest version because the later versions aren't backwards-compatible, but the early version is forward-compatible?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1