9 Replies - 1506 Views - Last Post: 05 January 2014 - 08:08 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

I'm upset with my performance

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

Hi everyone !

The title says everything, I've been busy teaching myself some programming. It's amazing to do that in one side and in the other not at all !. Just today I felt upset and bored to program. I'm pushing myself without mercy, I just want to learn programming. I kept dreaming to program for years. Programming is not too complex, but if you're not patient which I am.. just get rid of it. Exactly like farming. It needs some effort from you. There are things worry me all the time; I can't stand that somehow I would be able to create an application that has graphic and so. It seems to me I need years!! then I might be able to do that. Uh! since there's no patience here what can you expect. Another thing is when I began to teach myself, I just forgot about school works' :S; be honest I forgot that I am still at school and need to finish it. I spend a lot of times in from of my computer and go to school tired. I am a school heater by the way, you can say so. My dream to be a programmer tickles me everyday, I loved programming.However, some events in my life changed a lot of things and I stopped programming and teaching myself the required skills. Never-mind! you can't stay happy forever, at least you try to be happy. I wish to continue and not to give up programming.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I'm upset with my performance

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I'm upset with my performance

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:56 PM

You seemed to identify some issues - what are you doing to resolve them?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:34 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 23 December 2013 - 02:56 PM, said:

You seemed to identify some issues - what are you doing to resolve them?

Not too much, I took this day break hopefully this break will not be extended forever. Am I right about programming needs patience ?. You're a programmer by the way !
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

Am I right about programming needs patience ?

Well.. sure, but that does apply for most complex or creative jobs where you are dictating a solution to a problem or conundrum. Metaphorically, when approaching a moderately complex task, I remember "Said, sugar, make it slow; And we come together fine; All we need is just a little patience".

You're a programmer by the way !

That's what the tax man calls me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:14 PM

First you have to know what is more important and urgent for you. Important always should be after Urgent, right now you have to study (as I do) and get good marks or maybe improve them, and when you have free time (like in weekends or vacations) you can learn something more.
I recommend you to take your time to learn first the basics of a programming language, practice them. Then point yourself to the future, see yourself as a programmer, what is you main idea?

So, keep it up! Urgent goes before anything else! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:57 PM

View PostNicky24, on 23 December 2013 - 07:14 PM, said:

First you have to know what is more important and urgent for you. Important always should be after Urgent, right now you have to study (as I do) and get good marks or maybe improve them, and when you have free time (like in weekends or vacations) you can learn something more.
I recommend you to take your time to learn first the basics of a programming language, practice them. Then point yourself to the future, see yourself as a programmer, what is you main idea?

So, keep it up! Urgent goes before anything else! :)/>

I have free times, except when I have my mid or final exams this is another case for sure. What is my main idea ? I have no main idea or ultimate goal, all what I have is this I want to program and to program and to program until I die. So if a died I prefer the headstone to be a computer with codes in the monitor. I follow my obsession for programming. You know, sometimes people ask each other why you live ? or what is your purpose in life ? some say I like helping people that's why I live so I'm a philanthropist, and some say I live to code and I'm a programmer.To me nothing worth living for, but computer. I've been playing with computers for years and everyday it amazes me, like when you say (my big toy!) referring to your best toy which you like to be with always if not forever.

Good luck
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:43 AM

.To me nothing worth living for, but computer.

I'm not going to lie - but to me that's a bit.. much? Excessive?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:32 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 24 December 2013 - 12:43 AM, said:

.To me nothing worth living for, but computer.

I'm not going to lie - but to me that's a bit.. much? Excessive?

Haha.. not that much this is just the normal level. I need to see a psychologist who knows how to program, he maybe will succeed to program me, but of course not with zeros and ones!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:30 AM

The psychologist won't need to know how to program to know how to help you. You seem to have trouble separating wants from needs. You're in school right now and that should have a higher priority than wanting to program. I understand quite well the burning desire to code in sacrifice of everything else, but life simply does not allow that for some of us. As was previously suggested focus on school and code/learn programming during your free time. There will be portions of your day/year where you cannot, and that is fine. The breaks are good, renews passions, allows for perspective to come in, not to mention ability to receive new insight.

I would recommend finding a "main idea", something that is the "point" of all the programming. Whether it is a career choice or a project of choice,just something to give purpose to your actions, otherwise the fire may fade over time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Caffeine: db "Never Enough!"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:08 AM

As others have said, get a goal. You want to become a software developer one day doing perhaps Database apps with MySQL? Great! Find out what you need to know and learn it thoroughly. Or perhaps your goal is something smaller? Maybe you want to make a 2D RPG? Cool, go learn a language maybe C++ and then learn a framework like DirectX or OpenGL or something... My point is, programming can seem very daunting due to the vast amount of languages/tools/API's/things you can learn hence the importance of having a goal. As others have said, programming is awesome but you should put your studies ahead of your hobby. Don't leave a project to the last day or skip a test because you were busy programming the night before, its great to be passionate about programming but not at the expense of other equally important facets of your life.

Above all I think remember that you need to be patient, it's not that easy to program and there is a lot to learn and that's where the goals come in. Knowing that it may take your two years to master creating Graphical User Interfaces (GUI's) with C++ sounds terrible but thinking that you want to develop a text editor over the next two months and then move onto another app idea you may have whilst you are learning about GUI's sounds a bit better to me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1