9 Replies - 1245 Views - Last Post: 24 December 2013 - 11:36 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Looking for Mentor in vb.net

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:45 PM

Hey all,
I am looking for someone who has the time and skills to teach me VB. I am currently a student at University of Phoenix and am working in my .net class now. I will admit am struggling with this class and I am going on break starting today. My grades are generally pretty high, but this class has thrown me for a loop :) I really want to learn this, I am not asking for anyone to do my work for me in fact I am looking for someone to mentor me while I am green so I don't pick up any bad habits. I have no experience in Software Engineering but I really want to learn this. I want to be challenged, but ill be quick to tell you what I don't know.

Little background about me. I am prior service Army Cav Scout. I still work for the military though ManTech and although I love working with soldiers I started my own business about a year ago and I have a lot of passion doing that. Its always been a dream of mine to do something in software, but with the money they pay me it was very hard to go to school and do what I was doing. About 2 years ago I said the heck with it and I decided to go to school, for me. If I never do anything with this other than for me, I am ok with that. I am smart enough to know that no matter what I learn in school it will never be good enough to really do anything with it, and the chances of me finding a job better than what I am doing now are kind of unlikely so I am reaching out to you all in hopes to find someone that can guide me, challenge me, and even train me to be a good programer. Although I don't have experience, and a little slow, I am very passionate about this and very eager to learn.

What exactly is in it for you? Well if you have to ask then your probably not the person I am looking. I am looking for a leader who is looking to sharpen their own skills by teaching someone the ropes.

Thanks in advanced and I look forward to talking with all of you in the community in the days, weeks, months to come.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Looking for Mentor in vb.net

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Looking for Mentor in vb.net

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:50 PM

While I highly doubt you will find a teacher on here, I think if you post your code and ask for help when you are stumped, you will find many knowledgeable and helpful members pointing you in the right direction to solve your problems and helping you to grow as a developer. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:33 AM

I like the majority of folks on here in DIC are here to help.

As macosxnerd101 has stated its unlikely you will find a mentor to help you throughout your course for the full year as we all have work and university commitments.

I am willing to help you, currently I work in a software company (3rd line support) and I studying for my masters in Computational intelligence at night so my time is limited. However if you wish to PM me with your code I will be happy to have a look and guide you.

I current have my own application which is developed in Vb.Net, you can find it using the below links
http://www.dreaminco...326356-movee-8/
http://sourceforge.n...rojects/movee8/

which is free if you would like to try it.

Send me your assignment and ill have a look.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:16 AM

I am actually almost done with my degree. I am not asking for help for my assignments I was asking for more like a future thing. Like I said I wont be in the field anytime soon or if at all. I don't know what I don't know. Basically I am looking for someone to point me in the direction of go learn this go learn that. Then to ask me to write a code that does this. At that point I may ask, how does one go about that.

In my experience in life there are quite a few people that would love the opportunity to share their knowledge with others. I was hoping to find a like minded individual here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:35 AM

Like I said I wont be in the field anytime soon or if at all.

I must say, this is not encouraging for anyone who may be interested in mentoring you.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:05 AM

Donít get me wrong it would be great, but at this time I just don't have confidence in what I have been taught in school to change job fields.
I already work in a database with ManTech that does not require any coding of any kind. For me to get into programming seems a dream not a reality.
However, like I said I am doing this for my own knowledge. I might never do this as a job, that doesnít mean that the hobby won't end up producing something amazing. I did a little digging on the website and I found a few suggestions on the site where to go and get training past school. Iíll check that out as you are probably right this might not have been the best place to look.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:19 AM

OP said:

.. this might not have been the best place to look.

There is no harm in asking ;). I just think that a mentor would expect more commitment and enthusiasm.

Good luck anyway.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:42 AM

Fair enough. I am very excited to be learning. This weekend I spent 26 hours learning new stuff, partly related to my assignment. I am currently learning how to take items placed in a listbox and tie attributes to them, when the item is selected the items attributes post in a textbox. for example

If I had:
car
truck
motorcycle

in the lstBox

I select car

I want to see the cars color in lblAutomobileColor.text,but I can not figure out how to pass attibutes along to the items. That is my goal for tonight.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Major DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:51 AM

How the information is passed depends on how it is stored. Lets say you have a car class the is extends a vehicle class, One of the properties is color. Then the label could get its text by using the color property in the class.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:36 AM

Ok so I could make a global class and call on it that way. Makes sence.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1