3 Replies - 1306 Views - Last Post: 25 December 2013 - 05:27 PM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

How to spend my 4 month break from university?

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:15 PM

I'm in my 3rd year so far and am taking this Winter semester off, so I want to work hard and create some personal projects to build my portfolio for when i graduate and look for a job.

The one thing i am worried about is wasting time on a project that i wouldn't want to show to a perspective employer.

I would prefer to work in the games industry, but if i cant get a job in that industry I don't want to be left with a portfolio full of games that wouldn't be relevant to other sectors of the IT industry(web development, cyber security, etc).

I currently have a mediocre portfolio on my website PolishedGames, but most of the games in my portfolio are unpolished(the irony, i know) and not to industry standard.

I have started working my 1st project of the 4 month break and want your guys' opinions because the last thing i want to do is waste time when it could be better spent in a different project.

My plan: * ~1 month per project
1st project - Multiplayer(multithreaded), option to Host or Join a game room, undeicided on game type but will be something quick like Asteroids(from Atari) but with multiplayer, with MySQL database access(highscores).
2nd project - Undecided.
3rd project - Undecided.
4th project - Undecided.

What kind of projects do you think would impress game industry employers and/or general IT industry employers?

This post has been edited by Java Student: 25 December 2013 - 05:14 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to spend my 4 month break from university?

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to spend my 4 month break from university?

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

I can plug the link to Martyr2's project list, but I'm sure you can find and have already seen it. You're asking the wrong question, in my opinion. We shouldn't be the ones telling you what to make. Rather, you should have the problem of having too many ideas. You're in your third year, which means you have had a lot of experience thusfar (hopefully). You should be "that guy." Are you really passionate about bioinformatics? If so, be the computational biology guy. Are you more of a math guy? If so, work on some awesome cryptography projects. Focus on your interests and passions. As long as your projects are quality, potential employers will recognize this.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 December 2013 - 05:23 PM

I have seen Martyr's list and i like it.

I suppose i would be the Math guy, but anything past Calc II(Integration) and Linear Algebra II(vector and inner product spaces) is beyond me.

Funnily enough i was thinking of my 2nd project being a cryptographic project wherein a user can create their own public&private RSA keys, store and access these keys on a database, then perhaps use these keys to encrypt and decrypt their own files using the public and private keys, respectively.

Thanks for the encouraging words Macos, i'll try to focus more on the quality. I remember when it was just 2 years ago that you were helping me with Java and we were starting university haha.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 December 2013 - 05:27 PM

I suppose i would be the Math guy, but anything past Calc II(Integration) and Linear Algebra II(vector and inner product spaces) is beyond me.

If it's past you because you haven't had a class on it yet, get used to it. That's the real world. Math is hard, as is CS and programming. You have to learn how to self-teach.

Funnily enough i was thinking of my 2nd project being a cryptographic project wherein a user can create their own public&private RSA keys, store and access these keys on a database, then perhaps use these keys to encrypt and decrypt their own files using the public and private keys, respectively.

RSA isn't a too terribly complex algorithm. If you get a technical interviewer, understanding and implementing the algorithm in and of itself isn't going to score you a ton of brownie points. Make sure to take the opportunity to focus on architecture, not just the algorithm.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1