• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

87 Replies - 6404 Views - Last Post: 24 March 2014 - 04:00 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: anime afternoons

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:52 AM

Seconding Cowboy Bebop and Evangelion, both were great.

Also suggesting Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin is the manga). Only one season so far but it is AWESOME and to quote baavgai:

Japanese odd
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:59 PM

There was a Cowboy Bebop marathon last night/this morning. That was an awesome thing to wake up to.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:52 AM

Am I going to receive hate for mentioning DBZ? I'm not saying it's god-tier or anything, just that I enjoyed watching it. Or more recently, the Abridged series on YouTube.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:49 AM

I like DBZ...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• RISC Architecture is going to change everything.

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:31 AM

My only real problem with DBZ is that it is literally, truly, and not even kind of jokingly, the only anime in existence that I'm aware of where I could say "that show where they spend an entire season charging up a single attack against eachother" and people know exactly what I mean.

I think Ghost in the Shell would likely be a big hit among computer geeks like us...another one I reall liked was Sword Art Online. It caught a lot of shit for being 'similar' to .HACK but honestly, I think it plays it better. SAO grounds full-on science while .HACK goes a bit above and beyond with some mystical entity in the computer. At worst you get a Neo-momet in SAO.

Another great show is Serial Experiments Lain. This is more anime drama than anime action, you don't have huge robots fighting monsters or people facing off against eachother with their avatars in the MMO they're playing. Instead, it's a deeply human story, lots of psychoanalysis like Evangelion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:20 AM

I recall Lain as giving me the long, slow, please explain eventually vibe, only to go all Evangelion.

I have to preface this by saying that I've watched pretty much all the anime on Netflix that's remotely tolerable and some that isn't. I recently watch Chaos;Head and it had a Lain thing going on. Only with chicks with swords for no apparent reason ( which, I suppose, can be said of a lot of anime. )

Some I haven't heard of here, which is cool.

One of my favorite anime shows is Mushishi. Kind of x-files in primitive Japan. Just very well done.

View PostNeoTifa, on 30 December 2013 - 08:49 AM, said:

I like DBZ...

You like Sailor Moon, too. This kind of undermines your endorsement cred. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:50 AM

Nu-uh, you just did not, girlfriend...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:09 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 30 December 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

I recall Lain as giving me the long, slow, please explain eventually vibe, only to go all Evangelion.

This made me laugh really hard, because yes, that's about right. It's on the heavier side, requiring you to watch and follow along closely. There are no Companions there to ask the Doctor for the an explanation on the viewer's behalf.

View Postbaavgai, on 30 December 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

You like Sailor Moon, too. This kind of undermines your endorsement cred. ;)/>

Hey I liked the last episode of Sailor Moon.

View PostNeoTifa, on 30 December 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

Nu-uh, you just did not, girlfriend...

That has to be the whitest O NO U DI'N'T in history
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:22 AM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DIC-head, major DIC-head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:23 AM

Bleach and Naruto, or is that too mainstream now?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:35 AM

I dislike how anime gains "negative points" once it becomes mainstream. I've never watched Bleach or Naruto before, but does that mean it will be less enjoyable for me then it would have been when it first came out and people watched it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DIC-head, major DIC-head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:55 AM

No it won't, i loved it when it came and i still like it now even after 565 episodes of naruto, not counting the movies and OVA episodes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:59 AM

View Postbelgarion262, on 31 December 2013 - 03:35 AM, said:

I dislike how anime gains "negative points" once it becomes mainstream. I've never watched Bleach or Naruto before, but does that mean it will be less enjoyable for me then it would have been when it first came out and people watched it?

That's the weeaboo effect.

Think of weeaboos, or wapanese if you prefer, as anime hipsters. They're the white kids who post terribly written romaji of their favorite shows opening song on facebook. They have culture envy and insist that any overdub ruins the meaning of the story. They get defensive if you don't absolutely rave about their favorite show, and condescending when you haven't heard of it.

They're the reason I'm leary to discuss anime online. Both for fear that I'll say something to sound like that - idgaf what you like, if you enjoy Sailor Moon or Inuyasha or whatever, good for you. What you enjoy is good for you and doesn't require my or anyones apprvoal. Likewise, fuck hipsters of any stripe, but especially ones who are so full of culture envy as to be self-loathing.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:02 AM

I keep meaning to start watching a series of something, but I always get to engrossed in these things.

I would literally start watching, and then spend ALL of my free time watching until I'm finished. :stupid:

I once stayed up for 3 1/2 days watching the entirety of Friends... then crashed for a solid day (slept for just over 23hrs).

Even if I didn't go that extreme again, it probably wouldn't turn out well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

View Postdepricated, on 27 December 2013 - 09:47 AM, said:

I'm not a big fan of anime generally, but Neon Genesis Evangelion is monsterously good. Very psychological, and who doesn't love Mecha vs Kaiju?

View PostAtli, on 27 December 2013 - 12:29 PM, said:

Neon Genesis Evangelion is good, I'd agree. Who doesn't love giant robots/monsters/whatever-the-hell-they-actually-were kicking the crap out of ugly ass angels.

I think...oh wait...

View Postbaavgai, on 27 December 2013 - 01:02 PM, said:

Neon Genesis Evangelion is... classic Japanese odd, I guess. For the first few episodes it's basic mecha land. Then, someone goes off their meds and starts channeling their therapy sessions.

I have a theory of anime that most would be significantly better if they just threw out the last few episodes. It's almost a formula: the story moves along in a reasonable fashion, only to be revealed at the end that everything you saw before was... something else entirely. And yet, I watch to the end just to see how much they're going to screw with me.

Yeah, I think that. Evangelion felt like a bait-and-switch. Not that I disliked it, just that I thought I was signing up for giant robots fighting alien monsters, and what I got was more "the psychology of several damaged minds". The actual fighting is sparse and over relatively quickly; the show is really about the characters and the mystery of what the hell is actually going on. And the ending...well, love it or hate it, it's certainly not what I was expecting going into it. Personally, I like what they've done with the theatrical remakes. It compresses a lot of the unnecessary bullcrap with a more seamless story. Unfortunately, the last one isn't out and won't be for some time, but it's still better than the original series I think.

BTW, someone mentioned Slayers. I say definitely this, if you haven't seen them. They get better in Next and Try as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »