5 Replies - 1486 Views - Last Post: 27 December 2013 - 11:16 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Worth it to upgrade my laptop?

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:45 AM

It's a Sony Vaio running Windows 8.1 with the following specs: 2.4GHz Intel Core i3-370M processor, 4GB(2x2) of DDR3 RAM, and a 500GB hard drive (5,400rpm). It's used for programming and YouTube.

With just a browser running I'm using 50% ram. In the task manager I see my disk at 100% frequently. Eclipse + Firefox and it's slow to respond.

I don't want to spend much $$ on it since it's exactly 3 years old but I don't really need a new laptop either. I was thinking of buying more RAM and possibly an SSD or would that be wasted money on a 3yr old laptop? Should I just buy an SSD? Don't really want to spend more than $200. I'd be happy with another 2 years out of it.

This post has been edited by CP3: 27 December 2013 - 03:48 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Worth it to upgrade my laptop?

• lashings of ginger beer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Worth it to upgrade my laptop?

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:32 AM

Sounds like your computer needs a thorough clean. Run anti-virus checks, CCleaner, AntiMalwareBytes, etc.. Check your startup apps and remove any that you don't need, or shouldn't be there. Defragment.

I suppose if you had the necessary images and backups you could perform a complete re-install.

Once you've done all this (and hopefully noticed a significant improvement) you might consider increasing RAM. Crucial Memory are very good IMO, they can use your make/model details and provide valid upgrade details. It won't cost a fortune either.

This is just my opinion/suggestion, but if you expect to get a new laptop in 2 or 3 years then you might put off investing in an SSD. Cleaning and spending a small amount on ram should provide the improvements you need. If you then buy a laptop that you can use the SSD with (that is, that the SSD will fit in) you will still have to wipe it and install the new OS. AFAIK you'll still need some other way to transfer your data-files to the new computer: you can't just take the SSD out of one laptop and insert it into another.

This is my understanding, but I don't actually own an SSD, so someone else might clarify my assumptions ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:40 AM

** Topic moved to Computer Support -> Hardware -> Laptops **

There should be no reason to have to upgrade this machine. Laptops & computers do not suffer from usage like cars. They don't just age & get slower. The reason that your machine will perform slower is exactly as you pointed out, you're using up all of your system resources. When you start memory swapping, the OS is pretty much unusable at this point.

The easiest thing you can do, is format & reinstall. Then it will be as fast as when it was brand new. This however, isn't ideal imo, because you also lose all of your installed programs, & without backing up your data you will lose that too.

I would suggest booting into safe mode with networking, & see if that's any better. If it is, then I would run a number of software clean up programs like an anti-virus, anti-malware, & a program that scans the start up applications & remove any thing that you don't require.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:15 AM

It has a fresh HD as of last year and I installed Windows 8 ~ 6 months ago. I'll try it again. Thank you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:59 PM

Just a guess, not an accusation - Try installing from nothing but genuine, not torrented, not pirated installers. And don't put every theming and animated fireplace crapware you can find on it. There is NO reason it should be behaving that badly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:16 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 28 December 2013 - 02:59 AM, said:

Just a guess, not an accusation - Try installing from nothing but genuine, not torrented, not pirated installers. And don't put every theming and animated fireplace crapware you can find on it. There is NO reason it should be behaving that badly.

My Windows installation came straight from Windows. I only have the essentials(Office, dev tools) and don't download screensavers and all that crap.

Fresh Win8 install it is.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1