4 Replies - 318 Views - Last Post: 05 January 2014 - 01:53 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Help me understand Wordpress?

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:38 PM

Hi i have a lot of confusion regarding wordpress. I looked around but i wasn't really searching what i needed. Now the question is this! I'm creating a Wordpress Site were it offers only Tutorials for Java Programming, Javascript,etc. I dont want to use post since they are organized in a reverse chronological order. I want post tutorials From the 1st one been on top to the last tutorial been at the bottom. I decided to use Pages but it doesnt seem like thats what i need to do. I want to have a Menu Bar with titles such as "Java, Javascipt, Linux, etc"! Once you click on one of the tabs you'll get other pages with tutorials ! What's the best approach to creating this?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Help me understand Wordpress?

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Help me understand Wordpress?

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:41 PM

If you don't understand it, then how did you determine it's what you need for this project?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:29 PM

WordPress is an overgrown blogging platform. People - for some reason - like to try to use it for just about everything, but truthfully it's not an ideal solution to anything but fairly straight forward blogging. The database gets all messed up when you try to force it to do things outside that scope. - There are plenty of more extensive CMS platforms out there, like Joomla and Drupal. Those could no doubt be manipulated to do what you are after pretty easily.

Hell, you may even want to investigate the use of Wiki software, since that is specifically set up for posting articles. It wouldn't take a major alteration to such a setup to add the kind of navigation you were talking about.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:26 AM

View PostAtli, on 27 December 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

Hell, you may even want to investigate the use of Wiki software, since that is specifically set up for posting articles. It wouldn't take a major alteration to such a setup to add the kind of navigation you were talking about.

Yes, he should read wiki.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:53 AM

I don't if you still need an answer and I quite agree with the other replies. But if you really want to use Wordpress I would suggest to do the following :
Have a page for each main subject (Java, Javascipt, Linux, etc) and put them in your menu. Every tutorials that you make should be a post with a certain category (again Java, Javascipt, Linux, etc. That way when someone click on an item in your menu you can show them all the posts (tutorials) in the wanted category and when they click on one it shows the post entirely (use to the single template)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1