7 Replies - 467 Views - Last Post: 01 January 2014 - 03:47 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Picking up the right language and the engine for gaming.

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:42 PM

Hey guys, i'm new here, so first of all hi everybody :)

So, my friend and i, we are trying to make a decent game. We don't have much "game development" knowladge. We just wrote a half console game (couple of thousands code) in c#. Then some time later, i was like why the hell are we making a game in console. Let's just go for a 2D game. Work on it. Try hard to make something. So we started to search the right language to write a game. We have good (i mean more than enough) knowladge in both c# and java. So there isn't actually a problem with knowing a language. But we struggled with finding the game engine/library or whatever. We tried couple of them, so here is my notes about them.

For C#
-SDL.NET : We tried to learn SDL at first. It was nice at the beggining. But it seems, SDL is good on c++. There aren't any good

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Picking up the right language and the engine for gaming.

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Picking up the right language and the engine for gaming.

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:49 PM

First - have you flipped through the pinned threads?

Second - why not use a prepackaged engine like Unity?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:02 PM

Hey guys, i'm new here, so first of all hi everybody :)/>

So, my friend and i, we are trying to make a game. We don't have much "game development" knowladge. We just wrote a half console game (couple of thousands code, pretty detailed game, lots of work time, higly functional) in c#. Then later on, i was like why the hell are we making a game in console. The amount of effort we give for a console game is useless. Let's just go for a 2D game. Work on it. Try hard to make something... So. we started to search the right language to write a game. We have good (i mean more than enough) knowladge in both c# and java. So there isn't actually a problem with knowing a language. But we struggled with finding the game engine/library or whatever and the language itself (Between c# and java). We tried couple of them, so here is my notes about them.

For C#
-SDL.NET : We tried to learn SDL at first. It was nice at the beggining. But it seems, SDL is good on c++. There aren't any good tutorials or any document for SDL on C#. MAybe we just couldn't find it, so if you know any good source/tutorial/anything. We would be appriciated.

-XNA : We were about to learn it. But as it seems, Microsoft stopped the support for XNA. And also XNA doesn't support Visual Studio 2013. So, yeah i don't know.

-Monogame : We are currently learning it. But then again. I am looking for the games written in MonoGame. And i don't know... There aren't any good qualtiy games. I mean ofc, i don't expect a AAA game. Also, i know we can't make a good quality game but, i want to start with something that has future. That has capable of doing something good. At first we might make a bad game. Yes. Thats what going to happen. But when we get skilled in game development. I don't want to startover from something else.

For Java
-LWJGL : Obviously the only good thing for Java is LWJGL. But the thing is, i don't like java as i like the C#. Becouse of the syntaxes and the eclipse. I like VS2013 much more. Also VS2013 has Team Foundation Server. Which makes it a hell of a lot easier to program together. Also, JAVA is not the best choice for game development as far as i know.

So, the question is. Which one do you suggest ? It doesn't have to be from the up list. There might be other useful ones that we don't know yet. But the thing is, as we are new. We need a good tutorial sources. I mean, as i said. There aren't and tutorials for SDL C#. And we couldn't learn it. So what should we use ?

Also, please don't say unity. We will/might use it on later projects. But not for now. Unity is awesome for 3D game. But i don't know. I just don't want to use it in a 2D game. Even there are lots of good games with it. I just want to make a game from scratch with C# in VS2013. So yeah. Please no unity.

Also we don't have C++ knowladge. Atleast i don't. Yeah, it's the best language for games. But i haven't learned it yet. (I will)

Thanks for any help/advice or just anything ^^/>
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:04 PM

Merged duplicate threads. Please do not duplicate post.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:06 PM

I dont know how is that happened o.O. Sorry, i will edit the post.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:12 PM

Apparently, i can't edit posts :/. Any mod could edit my post ? And delete my these messages ? Thanks :/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:20 PM

I don't have much input on the libraries you stated but maybe you'd want to check SFML.NET
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:47 PM

Unity now supports 2D, so I would suggest Unity. Unity allows you to script in C# and it's a full game engine. Graphics, physics, some AI, Input, audio, and lots of other stuff already taken care of for you. You would just need to tie it all together in a game. And if you really want to write your own engine, you can do that after a Unity project. If you decide to take on too much in your first project, you'll most likely fail and lose hope, so that's why I would suggest steering clear from the idea of making your own engine from the start.

The reason why I suggest Unity even though you've already asked for that to not be a suggestion is because I feel like you need it. You want to make games, but you don't really know where to start. I take this as a sign that you don't really know what to do (I don't mean this in a bad way, believe me!), and so you need to start somewhere and learn more about what it really takes to make a game.

Also, when it comes to games, there isn't really a "right" language, only pros and cons. C/C++ is very powerful and allows you to pretty much do anything, it's also the industry standard, but it's easy for you to shoot yourself in the foot. Java is nice and easy, and you can build once and deploy anywhere, but it can't handle much client side stuff (like rendering) before it begins to chug and die. Java is known to be better for server side stuff, at least in my experience.

Hope this helped.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1