1 Replies - 3849 Views - Last Post: 29 December 2013 - 09:24 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Amount of memory on server

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:20 AM

I'm reviewing hosting services. I noticed that there are some Linux VPSs that advertise 256 mb or 512 mb for memory. Can a server perform well with this amount of memory? I'm thinking of running Ubuntu, Apache, Tomcat, and MySQL. It's a small web site, that does not use a lot of bandwidth. There will only be a couple of MySQL tables. They will be on the order of 1,000 rows by 5 columns. I do think it will run with 256 mb of memory, but I'm not sure if it will feel sluggish to users. An alternative I'm considering is a LAMP server with a shared hosting service.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Amount of memory on server

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Amount of memory on server

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:24 AM

I am currently running a vps on digital ocean with 512 mb of memory. I have the same worries as you, as I'm moving the websites from 2 servers running 12gb & 8gb of memory. & these are servers, an HP 4u & a Sunfire 1u server, not just pcs with memory thrown in them.

I am incredibly surprised at how well the vps handles the amount of websites that I currently have on it.

There is no magic number of websites that you can measure against memory. It comes down to amount of traffic, web server software, mysql load, & so on.

But I can say that I'm running about 10 websites, mostly wordpress, 2 php custom built, & 2 html sites on a vps with 512 of memory. It will generally consume half of memory usage, & sometimes spike to 450mb. I'm keeping a close eye on it's usage as there is an upgrade available to 1gb, but it also is double the cost.

I would say 512 will work, but 256 is pushing it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1