9 Replies - 1653 Views - Last Post: 31 December 2013 - 04:07 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

The future of XNA

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:51 PM

I post a topic like 2 days ago, asking the right gaming libray in c#. Well i made my mind on XNA. But i have few questions. First of all, Microsoft stopped future development of XNA. So there won't be any newer version of it. So i wanna ask that if its a problem ? I mean, XNA is dead for future. Does that mean, its bad to start learning it ? If they won't develop it anymore, should i still start learning it now ? Or should i find another library ? I heard there is monogame. But it seeems its also using XNA. What should i do ? Can you help me ?

Also there is this visual studio problem. XNA doesn't work in Visual Studio 2013 as i heard. And i am using 2013. So there is that problem. Is there a fix for it ?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: The future of XNA

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: The future of XNA

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:32 PM

Moved to XNA.

This thread is a good resource for you to check out. Personally I would advocate against XNA since it is dead, meaning Microsoft will no longer be supporting it. Others advocate it as a good learning platform off which to springboard.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:40 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 30 December 2013 - 06:32 PM, said:

Moved to XNA.

This thread is a good resource for you to check out. Personally I would advocate against XNA since it is dead, meaning Microsoft will no longer be supporting it. Others advocate it as a good learning platform off which to springboard.

Yeah, XNA would really be good point to start dev gaming since there are tons of tutorials for it. Which is awesome for begginers. But just in curious. If you are against XNA since its dead, what would you offer to start with? Thanks for the reply tho.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:43 PM

I really don't do a ton of game development. In any language though, there are issues regarding problem solving and technologies with which you will have to deal. I think it's more important to learn the concepts, pick a language and framework, and just get started. I think this idea that there is a "best" or "perfect for beginners" game development platform is overrated, and newbies put it on a pedestal. If you spend your time choosing, but not doing, you're not going to get anywhere. That's with anything, really.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:55 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 30 December 2013 - 06:43 PM, said:

I really don't do a ton of game development. In any language though, there are issues regarding problem solving and technologies with which you will have to deal. I think it's more important to learn the concepts, pick a language and framework, and just get started. I think this idea that there is a "best" or "perfect for beginners" game development platform is overrated, and newbies put it on a pedestal. If you spend your time choosing, but not doing, you're not going to get anywhere. That's with anything, really.

Yeah. I agree with you. It's my exact situation right now. But the thing is, i don't even know what to start with. There is XNA. But its dead. So i don't know if it's wise to start learning it. Then there is Visual Studio problem. Which i don't know if there is a solution for that. I really want to learn XNA, but since there are those problems, i am unsure. So i need a advice like, "You can still start with it, it doesn't effect you even if its dead or not anyway, not now, not in future" or "No, man dont learn it, its dead anyway. Just start with this ***" Where *** is the library you suggest.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:58 PM

You seemed to list a bunch of libraries in your other thread. You know XNA is dead. Why don't you pick one of those other libraries? List out the pros and cons, or just randomly select one.

Different people are going to have different opinions on which of those are "better" (using the term better loosely), based on their preferences, knowledge bases, and preferred languages.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:09 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 30 December 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

You seemed to list a bunch of libraries in your other thread. You know XNA is dead. Why don't you pick one of those other libraries? List out the pros and cons, or just randomly select one.

Different people are going to have different opinions on which of those are "better" (using the term better loosely), based on their preferences, knowledge bases, and preferred languages.

There is only SDL.NET other than XNA in my list. I mean since i decided on C#, i am not counting LWJGL. Monogame is also based on XNA. So there is only SDL.NET. And SDL.NET has "no" tutorial, documantation or anything. Anything to learn it. There are bunch of tutorial for SDL but since its for c++, there are no similarties between SDL.NET and SDL itself. I tried to learn it. It was my first choice. But i couldn't even learn it since there are no documantation. And i can't do pros and cons between SDL and XNA. Because, If it goes like this. I can't learn SDL so i have to pass it. And when i think about XNA, this topic comes up, since i am currently thinking about XNA. Thats why i posted that topic. To get advices. Also I don't know if there are other libraries other than, XNA and SDL. If there is any. I am open for any suggestion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:16 PM

I did find some documentation for SDL.NET.

I mean since i decided on C#

Maybe it's time to rethink the language? Programming is about being adaptable and responsive to the tools and needs. Clearly you have needs and are finding the tools for a given language insufficient. That suggests it's time to rethink your language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:21 AM

First off I think people sometimes get the wrong idea about XNA. It is basically a library and a basic framework that makes it easier to program for Windows based systems in DirectX.
So if you donít want to bother with the XNA libraries, you could program directly in DirectX. Ití can be a bit more involved than using the XNA routines, but is still relatively straightforward to understand.
Alternatively you could have a look at OpenGL for 3D stuff, and/or SDL for 2D stuff. Personally Iíd say there is a steeper learning curve to these, but if you want to program for cross-platform systems this is definitely the way to go.

Now, to answer the original questionÖ I think it entirely depends on why you are going to use it, and what you are going to produce. Iíve written a few simple games using XNA and itís a good quick tool for getting started with. Remember once you have a working game it matters very little, or not at all, what language it was written in. If it works it works. You may only have a problem if you want to write for the latest dashboard type interfaces.
Ps. Iíd recommend getting the free C# express version Visual Studio, and load XNA up on that. There really isnít and down-side and you would have a separate development environment for your games stuff.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:07 PM

If you want to use mono game, you should probably start with XNA. It is basically the same thing. And all of the instructional material is written for XNA. So nothing that you learn in XNA will be wasted if you move to monogame.

the best books for XNA are written for Visual Studio 2008 And XNA 3.1.

there is a way to get XNA 4.0 to work with the newer version of visual studio.

working in Direct X is extremely different than working in XNA.

if you want to do 2d game development, there are many options.if you are wanting to do 3d games, and you have very little experience, you might take a look at Unity.

This post has been edited by BBeck: 01 January 2014 - 05:33 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1