5 Replies - 3131 Views - Last Post: 06 January 2014 - 05:43 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Debugging html5 mobile website

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:44 AM

Hi guys,

First of all I wasn't sure wether to post here or in the web development section, so sorry in advance if I'm in the wrong section...

I am a new web developer and the only one at work. As if it wasn't hard enough I've been asked to do some html5 work for mobiles. Now, usually it's pretty much like building a regular website but I can't find a good way for debugging.

I work on Windows and the people at work have essentially iphones 4 so in order to have an idea of what the site looks like on other devices I tried the "user-agent" extension for chrome, the chrome canary browser, some other websites that try to render devices output, but nothing works that well that's why I'm looking for other solutions if there is such a thing...

Anyone with the perfect tool for debugging html5 websites ?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Debugging html5 mobile website

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Debugging html5 mobile website

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:52 AM

View PostDevDreaming, on 31 December 2013 - 07:44 AM, said:

I am a new web developer and the only one at work. As if it wasn't hard enough I've been asked to do some html5 work for mobiles.

What exactly are you implying? From your statement above, I gather that your company has a working web site that is html5 enabled? So are you trying to get the website look and feel to render properly for iPhone4s? Keep in mind the iPhone4s default stock browser is Safari and not Internet Explorer (default for Windows), Firefox, or Chrome. Your original post doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:59 AM

Actually I make websites for our clients. Now a lot of them want also a mobile version of their website. When I make the mobile site, I need to know if it renders well on different devices. I wont go and test it on all devices, that's impossible of course but enough to know that most people are gonna see the website as intended on their smartphone. In order to do so I need a way of debugging the website and simulate how it renders on different devices...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

You could possible use a css framework such as twitter bootstrap or zurb's foundation. These are responsive design frameworks which if done correctly should render properly on all devices. or you could change your user agent in chrome /safari and the device metrics as well and test like that. it won't be 100% correct but itll be extremely close
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:46 AM

blankwavercade, thanks for the reply. I'll check out the css framework. Regarding the user agent in chrome, I already tried it and it didn't do the trick for me...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Major DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:43 AM

Dreamweaver has emulators for several phones, if not screen sizes. The biggest thing you need to worry about is screen size vs mobile browsers. Most of that can be handled with CSS media queries.

Dreamweaver has emulators for most phones if not screen sizes. The biggest worry is screen size vs mobile browser and that can be handled with media queries.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1