9 Replies - 501 Views - Last Post: 08 January 2014 - 01:49 AM Rate Topic: -----

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Game Development Roll Call

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:52 PM

Game Development Roll Call

Hey guys, as of late, I've noticed that the Game Development forum has kinda been neglected topic wise and post wise. I decided to create a new thread where anyone can post their name and a little description if their experience with game development and how long they've been programming in general. So without further ado, I will kick this off.

My name is Aaron Thompson,

And I've been developing games for a year and a half now as a hobbyist programmer. My current project is coming along nicely and still remains an active project, even though I've been slacking off as of late due to work. I've mainly been using C++ and DirectX 9.0, I've also used OpenGL and XNA a little bit, but I personally prefer the syntax of C++ and DirectX. Even though I sometimes seem like I know what I am talking about, I have never actually developed a full game, with a custom engine or a commercially free engine such as UDK or Unity. I've created two online game development studios, one was named Dark Rising Studios and the other was Ion Games.

Dark Rising Studios was ideally what I wanted in volunteer based studio. We had six people involved in the game we where developing. Due to conflicts in the direction of the studio and the constant redesign of the storyline, the project was abandoned and Dark Rising Studio closed. However, with Ion Games, that really never took off :) So now, I am just developing my own game by myself for now until I have a substantial amount of work done, where I can include other people into the project.

So, enough about me, I want to hear your stories and personal efforts to make your game or even push your dreams into a reality.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Game Development Roll Call

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Game Development Roll Call

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:04 PM

Guess I'll post.

My name is Peter,

I'm new to programming games, and programming in general, so I'm constantly learning. I've been developing for about 4 to 5 months now, C# and XNA exclusively for now, but plan to move onto C++ and working directly with the DirectX/OpenGL API's eventually.

I've programmed a variety of small single player games, most of which were guided from tutorials, such as the "Eyes of the dragon" tutorial from SixOfEleven's site, or from examples in my XNA ebooks. I managed to pick up enough knowledge along the way to tackle my first unguided project after that. Unfortunately I've lost all of my screenshots from these projects when I needed to rollback my development machine to factory default.

I also have a tendency to jump into projects that are above my current level of knowledge, but I manage to learn best when I challenge myself instead of constant repetition of what I've already managed to achieve. I'm currently delving in network programming, threading, and MySQL. I'm tackling my first client/server game, and learning a lot along the way (tons of frustration too!).

The client/server project is a Pokemon clone, (fair use under education purposes?). I haven't gotten too far into it yet, but I've started setting up the server architecture, the Game Engine library(currently working on a basic GUI 'framework'), a barebones client, and I've finished the map editor tool for it.

Couple screenshots:

Client:

Posted Image

Map Editor:

Posted Image

It's definitely going to be quite a challenge, but I'm hoping to learn a lot along the way. Should be fun being able to test the fruits of my labor with my friends along the way too (Single player is boring!). :)/>/>

This post has been edited by Rhino1111: 31 December 2013 - 09:05 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:00 AM

Hello, my name is Shawn Andrews and i run polishedgames.com

I've been programming for 2 years now, and i'm on a 4-month break until Summer where i will be working intensly on 3-4 projects and developing more fully my website.

My 1st project will be a multi-threaded TCP/IP IRC server made in C++ with OpenGL that should take 2-3 weeks. I could take a couple paragraphs talking about how passionate i am about this project and other but i'd rather show you in a couple weeks.

I won't leave you without a sneakpeak, though you'll have to forgive my atrocious artwork:

Posted Image

I'll need some people to talk in the IRC chat room to make sure remote connections connect fine and can communicate OK, so if anyone wants to download my client and join my chatroom you'd be doing me a favor.

This post has been edited by Java Student: 01 January 2014 - 07:02 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

Hey guys, long time since I've been back on here.

My name is Adrian. I've wanted to develop games since I was 10, and I started programming when I was 11. I've been doing that for 10 years. I'm in my senior year of college for my computer science degree. I started in C/C++, spent a lot of time in Java, and I've picked up C# along the way. I spent some time in actionscript and I've messed with a few web languages as well. I have experience with OpenGL and DirectX, networking, databases, and a ton of other stuff you would find in a game engine. I absolutely love engine architecture, AI, and tools. I've worked with Unity a lot and a few other engines out there, but I love building my own small engine every once in a while.

I'm currently working with a small team on a game that we plan to announce during summer this year.

I hope to be a bit more active on these forums.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

Wow that's some great information guys, keep up the good work and I hope to see all your games :) I love indie games haha.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Caffeine: db "Never Enough!"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:55 AM

Hey all, my name is Liam Norman, I have been programming for about 4 years now (mainly using Java and Python but more recently C++ - since last year -).

I was learning DirectX last year and had made a few basic games (A asteroids clone, space invader clone and the beginnings of a basic dungeon crawler) however I got sidetracked with uni work and wasn't able to really focus my efforts on it, I also found the DirectX API to be somewhat archaic and confusing at times (imo) but anyways I am now learning SDL2 and am going to try complete theonegameamonthchallenge for 2014! I also in the future and when I have some games done, want to begin learning mobile development using Cocos2D-X...

I have also noticed that this game development forum is somewhat slow compared to others, maybe we could get some challenges or mini-dreamincode game jam's going to get more interest? Just an idea!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:33 AM

View Postv0rtex, on 04 January 2014 - 07:55 PM, said:

Hey all, my name is Liam Norman, I have been programming for about 4 years now (mainly using Java and Python but more recently C++ - since last year -).

I was learning DirectX last year and had made a few basic games (A asteroids clone, space invader clone and the beginnings of a basic dungeon crawler) however I got sidetracked with uni work and wasn't able to really focus my efforts on it, I also found the DirectX API to be somewhat archaic and confusing at times (imo) but anyways I am now learning SDL2 and am going to try complete theonegameamonthchallenge for 2014! I also in the future and when I have some games done, want to begin learning mobile development using Cocos2D-X...

I have also noticed that this game development forum is somewhat slow compared to others, maybe we could get some challenges or mini-dreamincode game jam's going to get more interest? Just an idea!

That's some pretty good background v0rtex :) You know, our very own stayscrisp wrote a book on SDL2.

Yes, I agree with you there, the Game Development forum is very slow, but we still get good topics come up every now and then. I used to be a forum leader in the Game Development forum, and I used to think of ways to improve the Game Development section and gather more dedicated members.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:09 PM

Alright, I'll introduce myself aswell then.

I'm Axel Faes.

I have been programming for 2.5 years. I'm a Computer Science student, which is going pretty good. In contrary to last year, when I was an engineering student. I failed pretty hard. But I picked myself up, told me this wasn't going to happen again, and decided to go to Computer Science. I don't regret doing that year in engineering, I learned a lot. I started out learning Python and Java (Python in school and Java on my own). But now I prefer to code in C++.

My first game was actually more of a school project. It was a Mastermind game in Python. Then I was bitting by the bug. I have made a bunch of basic games such as space invaders, tetris, chess, asteroids, a contra clone. Lately I have been going into 3D. I prefer to use C++ and OpenGL. I'm quite comfortable with the required math, so that's a plus.

The area of CS I prefer to specialize in today is multimedia (as my school calls it). It's all about computer graphics.
But who knows what the future might bring.

I'm hoping that towards the end of my education I'm competent enough to build a portfolio of games.

I'm thinking about learning some actionscript and make some games with some friends (They know each other longer and mainly build flash games)
But I'll definitely keep working on my 3D project.

As a suggestion, couldn't we do some challenges? Or a gamejam of sorts?

This post has been edited by axel1994: 04 January 2014 - 12:16 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:59 AM

Well, I haven't been hanging around as often lately because I've been busy, but I'll go ahead and join in anyway :).

My name is Joe, I've been programming for around 8 years in different forms, specifically in games for almost 4 years.
Currently I work mostly with C++ and DirectX 10/11, and recently have been focusing on the graphical side of things.

I haven't been working on any large projects, or full games, for a while now, mostly just little demos, proof of concepts and experiments.

I'll try and root out something pretty to post a picture of :D

View Postaxel1994, on 04 January 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

As a suggestion, couldn't we do some challenges? Or a gamejam of sorts?

I think this is a great idea! I'd be happy to help come up with ideas, provide material or even mark/moderate. Otherwise, I'd possibly take part!

[Edit]
As promised, here's a screenshot of something I'm working on at the moment. This is a dummy scene I'm using to test the flexible and configurable post-processing system I'm working on:
Posted Image

This post has been edited by yothsoggoth: 09 January 2014 - 03:16 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "ADDICTED"[2:5]
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:49 AM

Hello. I'm Brandon. I've programmed for roughly 15 years off and on. It is my most favorite hobby and my least favorite hobby equally. I recently got into Python 2.7 after having done C# 3.0 and Java SE7 for a while. After I got a comfortable enough grasp of Python, I found out about pygame and set to create games in it.

I recently created a top-down shooter game using the art assets provided by Ari Feldman at http://www.widgetworx.com/spritelib/ which mimics 194x games of yester-year. I am still actively working on it but it is certainly the first game I've created that I can say a substantial amount of time and effort went into.

While the mechanics are certainly simple, it does adhere to the requirements of a game's life-cycle. However, it does lack the extra bits such as title screen, high score, ai, and a dozen other things.

I have learned so much in the month it took to build what I currently have. I learned what a vector is and how to manipulate them through the various operations. I learned about trig functions and polar coordinates. I created probably a dozen test projects as I was developing the game and they will all provide useful in the future. I never did very much math in school so this was all very new to me.

As much as I want to move to another project that I have in mind, I still have so much to implement in this game. I intend to stick with this one until it's better than playable -- it's fun. One thing I do believe I might do though is switch out the graphics. I have to say that one thing I learned when making a game is not to use the actual assets you are going to put in the game because you get SICK of looking at them.

Anyway, you can check the game out at my github: https://github.com/g...coder/pyg_plane
You can read all about it on my blog: http://www.dreaminco...alfloss-pyblog/

Here's a screen shot from the blog:

Posted Image

Thanks for reading.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1