2 Replies - 1359 Views - Last Post: 01 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What are computer science classes like?

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:45 AM

I'm about to graduate with a BA in Psychology and I'm considering going back for a Post-Bac certificate in Computer Science. What I'm wondering is: what is the class format like as a computer science student? Are the tests open book or multiple choice or what? Are the lectures boring and do you have to actually take notes and read the textbooks to do well? Additionally, I am not a math genius but I did get all A's in my statistics/math courses I had to take for my Psych degree. Is it necessary to be excellent in math to excel in computer science?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What are computer science classes like?

#2 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What are computer science classes like?

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

Are the tests open book or multiple choice or what?

Why should this matter?

Are the lectures boring ...

Any lecture could be boring if you have no interest in the subject.

..and do you have to actually take notes and read the textbooks to do well?

Are you planning not to take notes or read textbooks?

I notice that none of your questions are about the subject of Computer Science. Do you even have any interest in the subject?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What are computer science classes like?

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

what is the class format like as a computer science student?

Depends on the class. Except for the Theory courses, CS courses predominantly involve lots of projects. You go to lecture, do the homework, do the projects, and maybe have a test or two throughout the course of the semester.

Are the tests open book or multiple choice or what?

Depends on the class and professor. Generally they're more problem solving and focus on understanding the material, than simply rote memorization.

Are the lectures boring and do you have to actually take notes and read the textbooks to do well?

Again, depends on the class, the professor, and the textbook.

I am not a math genius but I did get all A's in my statistics/math courses I had to take for my Psych degree.

Get used to more math than you've probably done for Psychology. CS uses a lot of discrete math, and a lot of the courses have more math content. Some of this courses include your data structures and algorithms courses, your theory courses, and any HCI courses you may take. The Theory courses are, in fact, all math, requiring a good handle on proof writing. If you can't get through the math, you will probably suffer for it in certain required classes. There are also classes, such as systems/architecture, where you won't really do a ton of math.

Why exactly are you pursuing a CS certificate? Do you actually have any programming or relevant experience? What do you hope to take away from the coursework other than a sheet of paper.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1