Have you made a game engine

• (2 Pages)
  • +

26 Replies - 1305 Views - Last Post: 04 January 2014 - 04:50 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Have you made a game engine

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:41 AM

Writing a book are we BBeck? ;') I kid of course.

It looks like this question has already been thoroughly answered *looks at BBeck*

But you phrased your question asking for subjective opinions of people's own experiences, so i'll weigh in a little.

You can pretty much make the same game with any API(XNA,opengl,directx), so picking just one and not all of these should be your starting point.

C++ is probably where you want to start with game development unless you choose XNA(C#) because im betting its the most used language in game development.

I chose OpenGL and never looked back because its so barebones that you can build plenty of libraries on top of it for your needs like networking, textures and models, along with easy to use I/O integration with your mouse and keyboard.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:19 AM

View PostJava Student, on 03 January 2014 - 05:41 AM, said:

Writing a book are we BBeck? ;') I kid of course.

It looks like this question has already been thoroughly answered *looks at BBeck*

But you phrased your question asking for subjective opinions of people's own experiences, so i'll weigh in a little.

You can pretty much make the same game with any API(XNA,opengl,directx), so picking just one and not all of these should be your starting point.

C++ is probably where you want to start with game development unless you choose XNA(C#) because im betting its the most used language in game development.

I chose OpenGL and never looked back because its so barebones that you can build plenty of libraries on top of it for your needs like networking, textures and models, along with easy to use I/O integration with your mouse and keyboard.

Yeah, i will use c++ and directx. As for multiplayer games (networking), i'm 'not sure' i'll be making those.
@no2pencil: I will make several games with existing engines before i make mine. May even make a smaller, less featured free version of the game that i'm making the engine for in a pre-existing game engine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:35 AM

Good choice.

Networking is a really advanced subject and not something you need to be thinking about now anyways.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:38 PM

View PostNathan2222, on 03 January 2014 - 06:36 AM, said:

You guys seem to be answering the question as if the topic is '' Should i make a game engine ". The answer to that question is yes, i've already decided that.

That's all well and good. I'm excited to see the progress! Will you be opening a thread in our Share Your Project forum to share your progress, or will there be a github account of some sort for us to follow your project?

You asked a question about how long it would take to complete such a project, and the answer you got was very subjective and hard to give a clear, definitive answer for. The reason is that time to completion depends on factors such as knowledgebase of the developer (or team), resources, time, and motivation. We commonly see people fizzle out with these projects. Maybe you will, maybe you won't.

You have also made claims (ie., about the physics engine for example) for which I think you have gotten a lot of constructive feedback. Usually when people give others more help than for which they were looking, that's a good thing. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 03 January 2014 - 12:38 PM, said:

View PostNathan2222, on 03 January 2014 - 06:36 AM, said:

You guys seem to be answering the question as if the topic is '' Should i make a game engine ". The answer to that question is yes, i've already decided that.

That's all well and good. I'm excited to see the progress! Will you be opening a thread in our Share Your Project forum to share your progress, or will there be a github account of some sort for us to follow your project?

You asked a question about how long it would take to complete such a project, and the answer you got was very subjective and hard to give a clear, definitive answer for. The reason is that time to completion depends on factors such as knowledgebase of the developer (or team), resources, time, and motivation. We commonly see people fizzle out with these projects. Maybe you will, maybe you won't.

You have also made claims (ie., about the physics engine for example) for which I think you have gotten a lot of constructive feedback. Usually when people give others more help than for which they were looking, that's a good thing. ;)/>

I didn't mean to say i didn't like the extra feedback. Hope that wasn't how it seemed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

You said that the reason why you don't like a few engines you've mentioned is because they have issues? I've been game programming for a long time, and there people on these forums and in the industry that have been doing it longer than I have (or even shorter) and are better than I am so I'm sure they can agree:

Nearly every engine is going to have some kind of flaw or draw back.

These "flaws" are either going to be intentional to some extent to provide a specific use for some kind of feature, genre, or game or are going to come as an afterthought well into the project. I know I've had experiences where I suddenly thought of something that I wanted as I was working into a project so I had to rework, add, or remove some things in the engine or systems I was building. Of course planning can fix that to some extent, but I think you'll always run into something that is simply put - wrong.

There is no perfect engine, you need to find something that works for what you need and find a work around for issues that it may have. And not to say you or anyone else isn't competent at building their own engine, things will go wrong, they will crash, they will break. It's something that needs to be expected, especially when building games. Just keep that in mind.

Good luck on your projects and your future engine, let us know about your progress!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:29 AM

View PostThe Adrian, on 03 January 2014 - 03:55 PM, said:

You said that the reason why you don't like a few engines you've mentioned is because they have issues? I've been game programming for a long time, and there people on these forums and in the industry that have been doing it longer than I have (or even shorter) and are better than I am so I'm sure they can agree:

Nearly every engine is going to have some kind of flaw or draw back.

These "flaws" are either going to be intentional to some extent to provide a specific use for some kind of feature, genre, or game or are going to come as an afterthought well into the project. I know I've had experiences where I suddenly thought of something that I wanted as I was working into a project so I had to rework, add, or remove some things in the engine or systems I was building. Of course planning can fix that to some extent, but I think you'll always run into something that is simply put - wrong.

There is no perfect engine, you need to find something that works for what you need and find a work around for issues that it may have. And not to say you or anyone else isn't competent at building their own engine, things will go wrong, they will crash, they will break. It's something that needs to be expected, especially when building games. Just keep that in mind.

Good luck on your projects and your future engine, let us know about your progress!

Cryengine put the world limit in the cryengine 3 because cryengine 2 games were too demanding (that's what they told me) and this won't be favourable for my open world games.
Unfortunately, things will go wrong and break but i'll try to remove these issues when making mine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Caffeine: db "Never Enough!"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:07 AM

View PostNathan2222, on 04 January 2014 - 09:29 AM, said:

Cryengine put the world limit in the cryengine 3 because cryengine 2 games were too demanding (that's what they told me) and this won't be favourable for my open world games.
Unfortunately, things will go wrong and break but i'll try to remove these issues when making mine.

I have no idea about your coding skills or plans and I am glad that you have the motivation for this project (or so it seems) but I do imagine it will be hard to create a 3D game engine and improve upon that of an engine like CryEngine 3 which was made by a large team of industry professionals... Also as I feel you may be underestimating (and I could be totally wrong) the scope of this project, go look at the CryEngine wikipedia page. Note how many features it provides, the complexity of some of those features is not to be understated and could as said above take you a year to do. I think mainly you must decide what is your ambition? Assuming you want to work in industry, do you want to be a game programmer or an engine designer? I just feel that if your ambition is the former then in the time it would take you to make (assuming you actually manage to complete this behemoth of a project) your homebrew engine, you could have made like loads of decent 3D games using Ogre3D or DirectX etc... Just my 2cents, good luck on your project!

This post has been edited by v0rtex: 04 January 2014 - 05:10 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:22 AM

View Postv0rtex, on 04 January 2014 - 05:07 AM, said:

View PostNathan2222, on 04 January 2014 - 09:29 AM, said:

I have no idea about your coding skills or plans and I am glad that you have the motivation for this project (or so it seems) but I do imagine it will be hard to create a 3D game engine and improve upon that of an engine like CryEngine 3 which was made by a large team of industry professionals... Also as I feel you may be underestimating (and I could be totally wrong) the scope of this project, go look at the CryEngine wikipedia page. Note how many features it provides, the complexity of some of those features is not to be understated and could as said above take you a year to do. I think mainly you must decide what is your ambition? Assuming you want to work in industry, do you want to be a game programmer or an engine designer? I just feel that if your ambition is the former then in the time it would take you to make (assuming you actually manage to complete this behemoth of a project) your homebrew engine, you could have made like loads of decent 3D games using Ogre3D or DirectX etc... Just my 2cents, good luck on your project!

My ambition isn't to work in the game industry or for a game company.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:42 AM

Hmm, interesting. Please explain further. If your ambition is not to work on games then what's the overall goal?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:56 PM

View PostThe Adrian, on 04 January 2014 - 11:42 AM, said:

Hmm, interesting. Please explain further. If your ambition is not to work on games then what's the overall goal?

Oh i want to work on games but that's not my overall goal. Programming isn't just for games.

This post has been edited by Nathan2222: 04 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

View PostThe Adrian, on 04 January 2014 - 11:42 AM, said:

You can check out my 'Introduce yourself'.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +