Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Alienware for game dev

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Alienware for game dev

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:04 AM

Alienware is fancy plastic ontop of high-end laptop equipment. It's incredibly expensive, but does pack a performance punch.

That being said, however, you would (imo) be better off getting a high-end desktop (or build your own), because by the end of 2014 you can upgrade the desktop. You would however have to switch out the laptop.

Also no piece of hardware is going to give you an advantage in any sort of development. You either can do it or can not. Forking over extra money doesn't somehow give you unfiltered knowledge.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:09 PM

I need something powerful and portable enough to run the kind of 3d games i want to make and a desktop is not portable.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:27 PM

run the kind of 3d games i want to make

That's a hardone.. I mean - you haven't explained this caveat.

As it is - it shouldn't be that hard to eyeball the specs and see if they fit the min requirements of some of today's AAA games. Though at 12-13 lb I am not sure if I could call those laptops "portable".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:27 PM

Not to sound overly snobby, but if you are developing the games, wouldn't you be the best source for any hardware requirements?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:38 PM

Also no piece of hardware is going to give you an advantage in any sort of development.

FYI this is why I go nothing but ultra top of the line boutique laptops. Overly commercialized heaps of plastic and junk do nothing to help me make better apps, but specialized boutiques are different. That adds the extra nitro-redbull boost to my skills and makes something 'okay' to something 'radical'. My fingers burn with speed as the l33t hardware (gelled and tested by the handcrafted glory of the boutique) darn near predicts things as I need them, and most definitely makes the graphics look a million times better as multiple complex physics engines shred the task with glee.

Hint: Alienwarez was bought up by Dell a while back. Guess which side of skill-boosting-blazing-fast-omega/ultra laptops vs commercial-schmishmercial-beige-crudplate laptops they fall on? :D
just kidding
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:34 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 02 January 2014 - 12:38 PM, said:

Also no piece of hardware is going to give you an advantage in any sort of development.

FYI this is why I go nothing but ultra top of the line boutique laptops. Overly commercialized heaps of plastic and junk do nothing to help me make better apps, but specialized boutiques are different. That adds the extra nitro-redbull boost to my skills and makes something 'okay' to something 'radical'. My fingers burn with speed as the l33t hardware (gelled and tested by the handcrafted glory of the boutique) darn near predicts things as I need them, and most definitely makes the graphics look a million times better as multiple complex physics engines shred the task with glee.

Hint: Alienwarez was bought up by Dell a while back. Guess which side of skill-boosting-blazing-fast-omega/ultra laptops vs commercial-schmishmercial-beige-crudplate laptops they fall on? :D/>
just kidding

I know alienware was bought by dell and i don't see anything wrong with that. I'm not into building pc's.
The fact is that the alienware can still be moved around without disconnecting some things.

View Postmodi123_1, on 02 January 2014 - 12:38 PM, said:

Hint: Alienwarez was bought up by Dell a while back. Guess which side of skill-boosting-blazing-fast-omega/ultra laptops vs commercial-schmishmercial-beige-crudplate laptops they fall on? :D/>
just kidding

I know alienware was bought by dell and i don't see anything wrong with that. I'm not into building pc's.
The fact is that the alienware can still be moved around without disconnecting some things.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:41 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 02 January 2014 - 06:04 AM, said:

Also no piece of hardware is going to give you an advantage in any sort of development. You either can do it or can not. Forking over extra money doesn't somehow give you unfiltered knowledge.

Hmm, i pretty sure dreamworks chose the HP Z8 for a reason if not they would have used any desktop pc if the Z8 didn't give the a performance edge.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:32 AM

The reality is that the question your asking is incredibly impractical.

Go ahead & dump way too much money on a project you won't completed :)

Yeah yeah yeah... I know. I'm mean. Just calling it as I see it. You're planning on all the wrong details.

$2,000 upfront, on equipment to TEST (not build) a game engine. If this were my project I'd just get started. You clearly have a machine already, assuming you are not posting using a cell phone or tablet. Once the project gets to the point where you can actually play it, which maybe months or even years down the line.

But whatever, buy alien ware. Despite everyone here suggesting it's overpriced, you seem to just want to argue irrelevant points which is incredibly for people asking questions about building gaming engines.

Best of luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:35 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 03 January 2014 - 05:32 AM, said:

The reality is that the question your asking is incredibly impractical.

Go ahead & dump way too much money on a project you won't completed :)/>

Yeah yeah yeah... I know. I'm mean. Just calling it as I see it. You're planning on all the wrong details.

$2,000 upfront, on equipment to TEST (not build) a game engine. If this were my project I'd just get started. You clearly have a machine already, assuming you are not posting using a cell phone or tablet. Once the project gets to the point where you can actually play it, which maybe months or even years down the line.

But whatever, buy alien ware. Despite everyone here suggesting it's overpriced, you seem to just want to argue irrelevant points which is incredibly for people asking questions about building gaming engines.

Best of luck!

You say i'm using the pc to test, wrong. You assume i'm not using a phone/tablet, wrong. You say i'm not going to complete the project, wrong. You say you are mean, funny.
Some parts of your post make no sense at all.
Remove the price factor from the alienware.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

#11 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:47 AM

Oh lord.. take a step back there.

Is the laptop going to work? Sure.. maybe.. who knows.. your specifics on what you are developing are non existent so the assumption is 'if it can play most AAA games it should handle your project'. What is also being said is you can get an on par or better machine, from a boutique, that cost less due to not having the silly 'alienwarez' name.

That also being said a laptop is a pretty upgrade unfriendly device. Developers use desktops for a reason, right? To keep up on incremental hardware updates over a set amount of time versus having to drop a few large bills on a new laptop.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:07 AM

View PostNathan2222, on 03 January 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

You say i'm not going to complete the project, wrong.

I'm excited to watch this progress. Will you be posting here, another forum, on git hub, bit-bucket, source forge? Where can I watch the project take shape & progress?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:58 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 03 January 2014 - 09:47 AM, said:

Oh lord.. take a step back there.

Is the laptop going to work? Sure.. maybe.. who knows.. your specifics on what you are developing are non existent so the assumption is 'if it can play most AAA games it should handle your project'. What is also being said is you can get an on par or better machine, from a boutique, that cost less due to not having the silly 'alienwarez' name.

That also being said a laptop is a pretty upgrade unfriendly device. Developers use desktops for a reason, right? To keep up on incremental hardware updates over a set amount of time versus having to drop a few large bills on a new laptop.

The alienware name isn't silly. Unfortunately desktops do have advantage over laptops which is why i considered the HP-Z1 first but changed my mind.
From my previous post, the project is game is open world :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:04 AM

the project is game is open world

That is not helpful. Minecraft is 'open world'.. I can run that on a ten year old p4.

The alienware name isn't silly.

Yes.. yes it is. Again - go poke around boutique laptop sites. falcon northwest, origin pc, etc.

Unfortunately desktops do have advantage over laptops which is why i considered the HP-Z1

Ah yes.. another machine that falls flat on upgrade'ability. *sigh*
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 03 January 2014 - 11:04 AM, said:

the project is game is open world

That is not helpful. Minecraft is 'open world'.. I can run that on a ten year old p4.

The alienware name isn't silly.

Yes.. yes it is. Again - go poke around boutique laptop sites. falcon northwest, origin pc, etc.

Unfortunately desktops do have advantage over laptops which is why i considered the HP-Z1

Ah yes.. another machine that falls flat on upgrade'ability. *sigh*

Alienware isn't silly. It'll fit perfectly when computer's become indestructible and have batteries that never need to be charged. Dell (alienware) will probably be the first with that tech.
Gta V/assasin creed/watch dog genre.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +