• Last »

111 Replies - 3529 Views - Last Post: 09 January 2014 - 09:11 AM

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Obesity on the Rise (again)

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:11 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ealth-25576400M

Posted Image

Just wondering on your thoughts on this. I know we've had threads about fitness before, but there's a difference between being "fit" and obese.

Now given our chosen careers we are at a disadvantage compared to those whose jobs take them outside. Do you guys eat junk food a lot? According to the article developing countries are now getting fatter as well (spread of junk/cheap food?).

I'll admit that I judge people (subconsciously or not) when I see that they are fat. Some can blame it on genetics, some might have extenuating circumstances, but I often wonder how much effort they actually put into their health. Since we're built to store fat, it's far easier to get fat then to stay healthy.

This post has been edited by belgarion262: 03 January 2014 - 04:11 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Obesity on the Rise (again)

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Re: Obesity on the Rise (again)

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:03 AM

I used to be much larger than I am now, about 6 stone (84lbs) heavier.

The reason I 'let myself go' over the year, was lack of knowledge. You kind of know that the pizza you're eating isn't the best food but you see it as a meal. Only after trying to get healthy and doing lots of reading and research did I find out that humans never evolved to eat that shit.

If people had more information then it could help. Influencing the young on how to eat proper food is important. There should be health classes that focus on this thing from an early age and view it as important as science, mathematics and language.

Plus anyone out there who has gone from eating processed food, back to eating all natural food will tell you, the taste of natural food starts to come back. My first few weeks eating right I thought of most veg as a tasteless mess. However once you cut back on the sugar and fats, you start to notice the tastes of broccoli and cauliflower, carrots, peas and everything.

The excuse I love to shout at people for is "I just haven't got the time to eat a healthy meal". So they put a processed per-prepared lasagne in the microwave for 10 minutes. Get a double-sided grill (like a George Foreman) and put a chicken breast on for 9-10 minutes. In that time, you can steam some veg. It isn't about the 'time' to eat a healthy meal, it's that they haven't put any thought in how to make quick healthy meals. The automatic response is "it's too hard" when they don't know because they have never tried it.

The word diet is also annoying. It implies that your situation is only temporary and that after x amount of time you are going to go back to eating all the crap that got you into this mess. Changing habits is difficult at first, but once it's done, it's permanent. I was out celebrating with some friends a couple of days before new years and they ordered a few takeout pizzas for everyone. I hadn't eaten all day and thought a couple slices of pizza is acceptable. I've never felt so sluggish and lazy for the 2 hours after eating it.

My apologies for the rant.

TL;DR eat right, feel better and teach the younger how to do it.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#3 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:07 AM

View Postbelgarion262, on 03 January 2014 - 06:11 AM, said:

Posted Image

Just wondering on your thoughts on this.

I think that 2008 was an incredibly long time ago.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:11 AM

The BMI is such an outdated method of measurement that it isnt even funny.

When I was in highschool they told me my bmi was around 14% because i weighed 175# -- but if you saw me you would think it was closer to 1 or 2 becaus ei was ripped with abs and stuff because I played football and track and all those good things. So yeah the bmi is kinda junk.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:35 AM

You were 7'9" in highschool?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:36 AM

View Postcreativecoding, on 03 January 2014 - 09:35 AM, said:

You were 7'9" in highschool?

close 5'11" lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:41 AM

we can all dream~

they must have used a different method cause 175lb at 5'11" gives you a BMI of 24.4. But yeah BMI doesn't excel with people who have above or below average amounts of muscle.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:58 AM

I will eat what I want when I want. I'm a fat kid at heart, but right now I have extremely high metabolism so I can eat whatever I want. Hell I didn't break 100 lbs until my senior year of high school and when I graduated I was 108 lbs and was 5'5" since then (4 years) I've gained a total of 14 lbs, and I'm 5' 10"

This post has been edited by ybadragon: 03 January 2014 - 06:58 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:15 AM

To quote Tim Cole, Professor of Medical Statistics at University College London.

"It is useful when applied to populations. The population does mean you get a more precise estimate of BMI simply by averaging over large numbers."

Yes BMI can be rather inaccurate, since it can't distinguish between muscle and fat, but it's useful as a guide and over large samples of people.

The data the news article is talking about comes from a report by a ThinkTank, from data from here

I think that 2008 was an incredibly long time ago.

6 years may seem a while but given the trend over the 28 years the data is from... can we find/point to a reason that the trend would not have continued?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:51 AM

A 2 part sampling over 28 years doesn't show much. All it shows is that we weigh more than 28 years before... it doesn't show any trends though.

If I measured your bank account on some random day last year, and your bank account today. And today you had more money than that random day last year. Could I legitimately say that you're trending upward in finances? No I couldn't, the sample rate does not allow for that.

Furthermore I saw recent statistics that do have multiple sample points that does allow for some trending predictions, and it shows we are heavier today, but also trending downward.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 03 January 2014 - 07:55 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:13 AM

View PostDarenR, on 03 January 2014 - 09:11 AM, said:

The BMI is such an outdated method of measurement that it isnt even funny.

I don't know that it was ever "dated," actually. Considering it's over a century and a half old, it's not doing to bad. :P

On it's own, the BMI is meaningless. Just a ratio. It gains meaning when given context. A few decades ago, insurance companies started using it in their spreadsheets, found some broad correlations, and suddenly it had to do with health. But, in reality, it only has meaning in the context of the correlations, sample size, age of the sample, etc.

I suspect a current graph would be even worse than our dated one, here. Not only has the trend shown no sign of reversing, but a number of known factors have gotten worse. People eat cheap food in a depression. American cheap food is calorically dense. Processed food is also crap and we've shown no sign of dialing back the processing. If anything, again, unprocessed foods are drastically more expensive than their less healthy counterparts.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:15 AM

To say that "obesity is on the rise (again)" and give us 6 year old data makes me question the entirely of your knowledge in the area. "Again" as compared to... what? Six years ago? Where's the current data to support this? Is it "again" as compared to 1980? Where's the previous study to support that? The sampled data - even if it could be used to show a trend - would still be inaccurate given the topic posted. The data shows BMIs over 25. A BMI of 25-30 is overweight, NOT obese. To categorize everyone who is over some predetermined idea of perfection as obese is ludicrous.

And your admission of passing judgement on those who don't meet your personal ideal shows a shallowness I wasn't expecting from you. People are different. Not everyone was cut from the same cookie cutter as the next.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:24 AM

I like to look at body fat percentage instead. I'm about half fat lol. I want to be 18% which is athletic, but normal women are supposed to be 22%. Also, on a side note, I hate how every time I mention how big/fat/heavy I am, guys are all like "no no no you're not fat shut up". Uh, yes I am, I wasn't fishing for compliments, I was stating a fact. I don't like being white knighted, yo! I am technically obese. Yes, I "carry it well" but I am still fat. And yes I am sexy, despite being heavy.

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 03 January 2014 - 09:24 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:35 AM

And this is why I love neo. We're blubber buddies. :wub:

But she's right. You can no longer state "I am fat" without someone trying to boost your self-esteem with cries, "Oh, stop that! You are not!" I'm not aiming for anyone to tell me I'm hot. I'm simply stating that I have body fat. Copious amounts of body fat.

But the shallow was everywhere long before the term "obesity epidemic" took over the news headlines. This is why the term "butter face" exists. "Well, her body fits well within my personal idea of what is and is not attractive, but her face is less than stellar. Hence, I will mock her, making her more self-conscious and leaving her thoroughly dissatisfied with her appearance and desperate for the cash to cover the plastic surgery that will alter her enough to please me."

"My muffin top. My reality." -> This shall be the title of my first book.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:43 AM

I'm chubby, I jiggle my chubby belly, it goes 'jiggle jiggle jiggle', and I love it... it keeps me warm, it's supposed to be -8 tonight.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »