• +
  • Last »

111 Replies - 3377 Views - Last Post: 09 January 2014 - 09:11 AM

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Re: Obesity on the Rise (again)

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:57 AM

View PostBenignDesign, on 03 January 2014 - 04:15 PM, said:

And your admission of passing judgement on those who don't meet your personal ideal shows a shallowness I wasn't expecting from you. People are different. Not everyone was cut from the same cookie cutter as the next.

Maybe I should say then that I base initial notions of someone on their appearance? Note I say initial. Lets say you meet someone dressed as a police officer. My initial judgement would be they are either a Police Officer, or in Fancy Dress. In a similar way when I see someone who is fat my initial assessment would be that they don't take sufficient interest in their health. Now (The use of "sufficient" is based on opinion I admit).

I don't think "fat person, therefore they must be a terrible person" or anything like that, and I'm not even saying everyone has to be super duper thin etc. I recognize that not everyone has the same body shape, I just feel that some people don't take their health and well-being seriously enough.

Also, if someone mentioned that they were fat, or thought they were, and I said "Yes, I agree", would this garner a positive response? More then likely not.

This post has been edited by belgarion262: 03 January 2014 - 09:59 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:48 AM

"yes I agree"? Would you really say that? It's called tact.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#18 BenignDesign  Icon User is online

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

View Postbelgarion262, on 03 January 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

Also, if someone mentioned that they were fat, or thought they were, and I said "Yes, I agree", would this garner a positive response? More then likely not.

Roll your eyes and change the subject?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:57 AM

The correct way to answer that if the answer is yes is "yes, and yo ass iz fiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnneeeeeeee gurllll." or "yeah, so let's try this pair instead. They're more flattering." You can tell the truth while being nice and/or helpful.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#21 BenignDesign  Icon User is online

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:58 AM

no2's comic is one of the reasons my best friend is my best friend. On the rare occasions that I do choose to go shopping, I take her along. She does not hesitate to tell me if something makes me look fat, frumpy, dumpy, lumpy, bumpy, or gawd-awful. At the same time, if I emerge from a dressing room and her response is, "Oh my holy fucking shitballs".... I need to buy whatever I'm trying on and wear it for hot dates. I love my bestie. She kicks ass.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:38 AM

Agreed, honesty with a measure of friendliness and tact is the way you go.

I'm that asshole who always said if it does or doesn't make one look fat. And I found most of my friends liked my blunt honesty, mainly because I followed with a suggestion of something better (except for those who were already looking to self deprecate themselves just by asking the question). In return it's the same thing I want in response when I ask such questions.

With that said though, there is a measure of appearance I do consider. We all do, to some degree, and there's nothing wrong with that as long as you don't let it get in the way of judging the person as an individual once getting to know them more (which belgarion did say). Of course, when such appearances become extremes... you may want to avoid all together. The person carrying a hatchet, wearing blood stained clothes, and mumbling something about how "they will all pay"... yeah, just turn and run. I don't think anyone will hold it against you for judging them on appearance alone.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 03 January 2014 - 11:39 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:39 AM

POPULAR

more cushion for the pushin'.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

#24 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:41 AM

Yes.. those lovely lady lumps.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:42 AM

more bounce for the ounce.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#26 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:43 AM

POPULAR

True that. My anaconda don't want none unless you got buns, hun.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

First time I learned what 'badunka dunk' meant was at an office x-mas party. My girlfriend was dancing on the dance-floor while I was getting some drinks for us, my work-mate comes up and says:

"Is that your girlfriend?"

"Yeah..."

"Shit, never took you for someone who likes the badunka dunk."

"The whooza whatcha huh?"

"The big ol' badunka dunk!"

"Huh?"

"Ass dude, big ol' ass."

"Oh... yeah. Always been an ass guy."
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:39 PM

On only a tangential relation, I was in the Publix the other day picking up my wife's scripts from the pharmacy. Standing around, looking at stuff at random when I realized I was standing in front of an entire aisle of shit dedicated to diabetics. Sugar free this and low glycemic that. Back at the pharmacy counter, an entire case of meters, test strips and so on. In short, this store had dedicated aisles of stuff just in the service of the diabetes explosion in this country.

Since diabetes is essentially the body's pancreas shutting down and failing to produce insulin it made me wonder what could cause so many people to have their pancreas simply check out like that en masse? Then I thought of the rising rates of Alzheimers, breast cancer (when other cancer rates are falling), obesity in general and childrens' allergies. Unless there's a virus running about that causes all this shit, something we've done to our food supply in the past 30 years is the most likely vector of responsibility for all this crap.

Then, the next morning, I was thinking about all the stuff these days that has sugar in it. My morning coffee, the breakfast bar I ate, even the toothpaste I brush my teeth with...all sweet. Maybe not all of it has sugar (hell, none of it may have sugar) but so much of what the typical person eats these days contains sugar/glucose. I recall reading somewhere that people in the Middle Ages rarely had sweets...even from fruits. Such foods were considered delicacies and these diseases were virtually unknown then (likely due to the population rarely aging enough to encounter them). But then I thought on kids with peanut allergies. When I was a kid, there WEREN'T kids with nut allergies. It was literally unheard of. Hell, peanut butter was a staple friggin' food in the school cafeteria lineup. The UN passes out something called PlumpyNut to address third world childhood malnutrition (peanut-based paste with sugar, vegetable fat and skimmed milk powder, enriched with vitamins and minerals) so they don't seem to be all that concerned with children with nut allergies in the third world.

Anyway, stream of consciousness thing there. Just seems to me that obesity and a whole laundry list of other maladies are likely due to our very indulgent diet inclusive of massive amounts of sugar/glucose.

This post has been edited by Craig328: 03 January 2014 - 02:40 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

View PostCraig328, on 03 January 2014 - 04:39 PM, said:

Since diabetes is essentially the body's pancreas shutting down and failing to produce insulin it made me wonder what could cause so many people to have their pancreas simply check out like that en masse? Then I thought of the rising rates of Alzheimers, breast cancer (when other cancer rates are falling), obesity in general and childrens' allergies. Unless there's a virus running about that causes all this shit, something we've done to our food supply in the past 30 years is the most likely vector of responsibility for all this crap.

Then, the next morning, I was thinking about all the stuff these days that has sugar in it.

It's not even just sugar. It's high-fructose corn syrup. We make food to make it inexpensive, not healthy.

& then there's this :

Posted Image

btw : JDRF
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

POPULAR

mmmm mega jug.

sometimes i wonder what it would be like to be so fat i couldn't see my own dick.

and then how amazing it would be to start losing that fat and see my dick start to peek out and see the sun like it was groundhog day.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »