• Last »

111 Replies - 3263 Views - Last Post: 09 January 2014 - 09:11 AM

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Obesity on the Rise (again)

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

View PostCraig328, on 03 January 2014 - 05:39 PM, said:

I recall reading somewhere that people in the Middle Ages rarely had sweets...even from fruits.

Yes, sort of. Medieval Europeans really liked their honey. Fresh fruit is harder to come by than you'd expect. Most is difficult to cultivate and has a poor shelf life. However, yes, it was a rare treat. They would have eaten more if they could.

Sweet is a biological trick. Nothing sweet in nature will kill you. If an animal can process sugar, and encounter some, it will often gorge on it.

We are predisposed to go for sweet. Companies understand this and add sugar to damn near anything. And that's one of the big problems; sugar finds its way into pointless places, just because sweeter is better. Even things that are supposed to be sweet, like juice or dried fruit, have added sugar.

Also, interestingly, in the US we have almost no taste for sour. Food from other cultures is usually Americanized by making it sweeter.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#32 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:53 PM

Yes.. except for Sourpatch kids.. those are the bomb-dot-com.

Posted Image

Edit:
And Atomic Warheads.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 03 January 2014 - 04:03 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

Side note to Craig's diabetes tangent: it's not the sugar. It's the carbohydrates. I find myself explaining this to people frequently when my daughter's illness comes up.

"Oh, you can't even make Christmas cookies because of your daughter!"
"Oh, I guess you probably don't celebrate birthdays, huh?"
"Your kids would love this candy, but your diabetic can't have it."

We don't avoid sugar. We don't count grams of sugar. Things aren't better for a diabetic because they're sugar free or made with sugar alcohol.

Just an example: Russell Stover Peanut Butter Cups (34g serving)

Regular variety - 13.4g carbs, 11.2g sugar
Sugar free variety - 17.0g carbs, 0.0g sugar

I'm not sure if it works the same way in a Type 2 diabetic, but in Juvenile diabetes (Type 1), we use a carb counting algorithm. It pays no regard to the amount of sugar - only to the amount of carbohydrates...because carbohydrates become sugar in the body.

Looking at the Russel Stover example, the "sugar free" variety has a higher carb content than the regular variety, meaning my child would have to pump MORE insulin into her body to eat a serving of sugar free peanut butter cups (2.1 units of insulin) than she would to eat the regular variety (1.7 units of insulin).

Doesn't sound like much, but if you go sugar free with everything you possibly can, you're looking at an estimated 0.4 additional units of insulin per serving. Let's assume even 3 servings/day... that's an unneeded 1.2 units of insulin every day... which comes to 438 units per year (or the equivalent of more than 4 entire bottles of insulin). Not to mention ingesting all the chemical substitutes they've added to keep it from tasting like shit.

I give her plain old regular sugar unless we're talking about a product that is entirely sugar, like soda or syrup, in which case her blood sugar sky rockets so we use the diet/sugar-free varieties (and for the record, sugar free syrup is the nastiest crap on the planet).
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:29 PM

carbohydrates are sugars?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:36 PM

one thing I don't get are the people who claim they count calories but aren't losing any weight.. there's no way they're counting the correct amount of calories, right? That or they calculated their calorie deficiency wrong? I mean I get growing up and metabolisms slowing and all but in the end it's thermodynamics - right?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:37 PM

View Postsupersloth, on 03 January 2014 - 06:29 PM, said:

carbohydrates are sugars?

Yes...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:39 PM

View Postcreativecoding, on 03 January 2014 - 04:36 PM, said:

one thing I don't get are the people who claim they count calories but aren't losing any weight.. there's no way they're counting the correct amount of calories, right? That or they calculated their calorie deficiency wrong? I mean I get growing up and metabolisms slowing and all but in the end it's thermodynamics - right?

unless they have some other sort of (legitimate) medical condition or medication they are on, then yes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

I often do a zero carb diet. If nothing else, it teaches awareness. If you are strictly avoiding carbs, you might starve to death at a convenience store. Even the meat sticks have sugar.

When weighing the evil of carbs, I tend to use the glycemic index as a guide. Also, as sugar free doesn't mean low carb, low carb often simply lies; I'm sorry, shit like maltodextrin is a carb. A rather disturbing carb, actually.

I've been dodging diabetes for years with diet. I'm going back on the low carb wagon again, so I sympathize.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:09 PM

I was going to comment on carbs being a sugar B9 but you said it halfway down. Anything starch is sugar eventually. Leave bread in your mouth long enough it dissolves and turns sweet.

The whole fad diet that gets on my nerves is gluten free. On the other hand, now there are more alternatives for people who really need it. Meh.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#40 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:40 PM

View Postbelgarion262, on 03 January 2014 - 06:11 AM, said:

Just wondering on your thoughts on this.

My thoughts on this are pretty much "Meh." Thanks for asking, though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#41 depricated  Icon User is online

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

This thread made me stand up and do the truffle shuffle

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:52 PM

View PostNeoTifa, on 03 January 2014 - 08:09 PM, said:

The whole fad diet that gets on my nerves is gluten free.

As a fad diet, it's annoying. However, I know a person with celiac and for them it's a requirement. I also know a family with two autistic kids and, trust me, you don't want to see them when they're NOT GF.

I have a personal issue with GF, because they tend to replace gluten with potato starch. Indeed, the volume of potato starch in your diet can be frightening. My friend is nightshade intolerant and the whole GF thing has made her life that much more difficult.

The problem with processed foods is that they're just, well, cheap. Fillers are the norm. Often the same fillers in everything. I suspect many medical woes, including obesity, have the bizarre food science of the modern age partially to blame. I could be wrong. But, if you can afford it, I recommend eating real food.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

Along with the sugar free stuff the fat free stuff is usually loaded with sugars to give it flavor. Fat gives stuff flavor so if you take that away you have to add sugar to make it taste good. I was buying fat free ranch dressing for a while because it was less calories until I realized how much sugar was added when I went the low carb route a while back. I personally try to stick to a mostly whole foods diet. I now make my dinner plate with half vegetables, quarter starch (if any), and quarter meat. Just eating more vegetables and sticking to foods that don't come in a box has helped me tremendously.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#44 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

View Postbaavgai, on 03 January 2014 - 07:52 PM, said:

But, if you can afford it, I recommend eating real food.

There's no "if you can afford it" about it. Real food is cheap. Farm shares - community supported agriculture - are in most cities in the US, so if you're not near a farm share you're probably near a farm. Good local vegetables are not hard to find and they're not expensive, unless you choose to go to some place that charges you a premium markup for them. What's expensive is the luxuries that people like to have with their food - the meats and sweets. And the processed crap is far more expensive than cooking it yourself, unless you do some really screwy accounting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#45 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:47 PM

View PostApokio, on 03 January 2014 - 08:41 PM, said:

Just eating more vegetables and sticking to foods that don't come in a box has helped me tremendously.

QFT. If you really want to not be fat, "eat more vegetables" is the single best piece of advice you can get.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »