• (2 Pages)
  • +

23 Replies - 1627 Views - Last Post: 07 January 2014 - 12:11 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

thoughts on 2045

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:27 AM

hi to the people that was interested in this title,

I have been looking into this now for the passed couple of weeks and it is really interesting, for those who don't know what the "2045" is all about it's meant to be the year of the "singularity", just wanted to know how people felt about it, and do you even think it's going to happen?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: thoughts on 2045

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: thoughts on 2045

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:38 AM

junk-- i highly doubt this will happen

remember 2000

and 2012
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:43 AM

Well that's just it, there's no way to predict it.

Since the capabilities of such an intelligence may be difficult for a human to comprehend, the technological singularity is often seen as an occurrence (akin to a gravitational singularity) beyond which the future course of human history is unpredictable or even unfathomable.

In the months before WW2 people were still insisting it would never happen. The future is unknown, the past is a constant, and the present is where we live.

View PostDarenR, on 03 January 2014 - 02:38 PM, said:

junk-- i highly doubt this will happen

remember 2000

and 2012

I believe he is referring less to an apocalyptic event, and rather to This , specifically the 4th paragraph

This post has been edited by belgarion262: 03 January 2014 - 07:46 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:57 AM

So basically the dude is talking about Skynet. I highly doubt that we, as in humankind, will allow this to happen.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:06 AM

Is there a point in the future at which our technological abilities will be at a point that today we can not comprehend, as described in the usual theory, thusly making any predictions after it futile.

Yeah sure, it's highly likely it will happen, as long as we don't kill ourselves in the process (may that mean extinction, or mass death counts).

Do I think the year will be 2045... well, that is a different debate on the accuracy of one's ability to predict the year. I am not of the academics to make a precise prediction, and I rely on those with the academic background to do so. I also accept that those people aren't perfect and may be off by some measure.

So... singularity, highly likely.

In 2045, not as likely.

@bingy - he is not talking about skynet.

Terminator borrows the theory of the technological singularity to spin a story about robots that travel through time to kill the mother of the rebel leader to spin a fantastical tale rooted in a scientific theory.

This is what sci-fi is all about.

But to generalize a theory by the sci-fi material spawned from it, is well... rather idiotic.

And what makes you think we wouldn't let that happen. That's the point about the theory of the singularity. You don't know what's on the other side. It's hard to predict what will come of the technological advancements we make. We can't even stop people from making nuclear bombs once that pandoras box was opened. What makes you think we'll be able to "not allow" other technological advancements to happen?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:17 AM

Let's also not forget, in 2015 dbags and bullies will look like this:

Posted Image

.. and hoverboards won't be able to go on water.. unless they have POWER!

Posted Image

Edit: aaaaaaand as I think about it that tech singularity point may be moving faster than expected. Is it a coincidence we get the movie 'Her' out now? A romance story about a man falling in love with an advanced artificial intelligence on his phone? I think not.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 03 January 2014 - 08:23 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• جوروترا

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:20 AM

The real danger is not that computers will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like computers. -Sydney J. Harris-
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:27 AM

View Posttarmizi_adam2005, on 03 January 2014 - 03:20 PM, said:

The real danger is not that computers will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like computers. -Sydney J. Harris-

Quoting the wise does not a wise man make

Irony is just honesty with the volume cranked up

This post has been edited by belgarion262: 03 January 2014 - 08:28 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:34 AM

@modi123_1: that is a fantastic looking cast. I can totally handle Joquain's chester the molester stache for the other four...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:54 AM

OMG. He looks like the illegitimate spawn of Tom Selleck! SHAVE IT!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:58 AM

Moderately related to the topic - Isaac Asimov Predicts in 1964 What the World Will Look Like Today — in 2014.

Pretty amusing.. especially the "[M]ankind will suffer badly from the disease of boredom, a disease spreading more widely each year and growing in intensity.". Ha! Smartphones fill in every waking second of potential boredom with games, tweets, likes, and mind numbing attention span shortening ticks.

Edit:
"Communications will become sight-sound and you will see as well as hear the person you telephone." - Ha! I know of someone's ten year old diving head first into this joy with her new smartphone and the beloved Skype.

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 03 January 2014 - 09:00 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:45 PM

what I find most impressive is the 2045 project, I say good luck to the guy, what a bloody legend of a human being, If he fails with immortality I still think us as humans can learn a great deal from it both technological, biological and even spiritual.

The project is funded by Russian billionaire - Dmitry Itskov (entrepreneur)

Here is the site: 2045.com (yes there is a very strong theme of the "singularity")

But he is actually taking this movement very seriously and is well respected and also funded by allot scientist, other entrepreneurs that are interested in the idea, and also a lot of spiritual support, he met with the Dalai Lama who fully supports the idea.

The cool thing is it's not just another technological advancement, it's a human evolution advancement, could he actually pull this off.....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:19 PM

Would this be an appropriate place to remind people that in the 1960's people believed we'd be living in colonies on the Moon before now?

Posted Image

The point is: we always give ourselves way too much credit when it comes to our predictions of technology, its beneficence and how far along we'll get. If you look at 1983 (31 years ago) and compare it to today, we pretty much have the same stuff now we had then. Sure, it's smaller, more capable and such...but cell phones existed (big, heavy ass brick phones), personal computers existed, etc. The intarwebz was still a few years off and more than anything else, that's been revolutionary but people still live the same way today as we did then. We still work, we still have hunger, wars, disease, we still drive cars that run on gasoline, we still live in pretty much the same houses we did, etc. What makes anyone believe that 31 years into the future it'll be all that different from today?

Within the next 30 years we will image extraterrestrial planets directly and may even see signs of life on some. That'll happen and probably fairly much earlier than 2045. We may have a manned expedition to Mars by then but then again, it's been 42 years since we went to the Moon so I'd not be surprised to find that we haven't gone any further than our own celestial back yard by then still.

We won't have solved overpopulation, famine, or global warming. We may not drive gasoline powered vehicles anymore but that'll be because we'll just switch to natural gas vehicles. Easier to do, less expensive.

In short, nothing indicates that humanity will magically become any less ridiculously myopic when it comes to its own future anytime soon.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• Dic Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:01 AM

Measurement of time & it's system of numbers is meaningless imo. It's a concept of man that measures time based on the rotation of planets, & different cultures have not only their own set of meanings, but in some cases even their own measurements. 2000, 2012, 2045... these numbers mean nothing.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:59 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 04 January 2014 - 09:01 AM, said:

Measurement of time & it's system of numbers is meaningless imo. It's a concept of man that measures time based on the rotation of planets, & different cultures have not only their own set of meanings, but in some cases even their own measurements. 2000, 2012, 2045... these numbers mean nothing.

I agree, all years are are just a keep track of how many times the earth has orbited it's star(sun) it doesn't mean that each year are technological progression is multiplied by some number and that we can use this data to calculate when our technology will be so advanced it will be able to turn us into super human, however I do believe that there is a natural process that every intelligent life goes through to become a "stage 1" civilization, a civilization that knows no bounds to space exploration and becomes a single unity specious (earth specious) and not divided by countries etc, and therefore no need for currency nor trade for we our technology will be a life "foundation" bit like a coding framework, or library simple things like food and drink will not need to be "gathered/paid for" like they are today, however I do not think immortality will be possible yet, I think that this comes at stage 2, this is where "life" will unify, and will be a matter of evil vs good, anti life vs pro life, by now most lifeforms will have learned how to be immortal(if they wish to be) and all of the natural physics and laws of the universe will be overcome, for example will will be able to be in the middle of a star as it explodes (supernova) and it will mean little to us, such as a dandelion("exploding" if you can call it that) will will become more spiritual god like beings rather then being made from dead stars :angel:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +