1 Replies - 1212 Views - Last Post: 04 January 2014 - 09:54 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Cloud-Based 3D Printing

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

Hey everyone! Im not a programmer of any kind, im just hoping that this community could help point me in the right direction. Im looking to have some cloud based software created that will output stl files to be 3d printed. I would need the software to import files of 3d scanned objects, recognize certain colors on those scans, and render 3d objects based on those defined colored areas to be exported to a 3d printer. This soft would be running in a browser. There's obviously a lot more specifics than that, but i have absolutely no idea where to start. I have no experience with contracting developers...or even what kind of developers I would seek for this kind of project.

Any guidance would really be appreciated! Thank you so much to anyone who tries to help.

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 04 January 2014 - 09:45 PM
Reason for edit:: Renamed title to be more descriptive

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Cloud-Based 3D Printing

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Cloud-Based 3D Printing

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:54 PM

Moved to Software Development.

There are plenty of APIs out there for parsing STL files, as well as for interfacing with 3D printers. I think if you personally were going to tackle this project, you would want to do research on the APIs out there, read the reviews, etc., and pick a language based on that. If you decide to contract a developer instead, at least you know what's out there and can better target a job listing. Personally, I've never worked with these APIs, so I can't say which ones are good and not so good from experience.

If you are looking to network with developers, you might consider visiting a local coworking space, local tech groups, or a local entrepreneurial group.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this sounds like a business idea of some sort? If so,the above advice is probably the best way to go. If you are a researcher at a university, it might be possible to get funding to hire a student to crank out some code. Class credit is another option to attract students.

Best of luck!

Edit- I found this thread to add context to the OP's post, for anyone interested.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1