4 Replies - 185 Views - Last Post: 09 January 2014 - 06:55 AM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

I Still Don't Get This Entire Cloud Computing Thing With Google?

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:42 PM

Ok so I've been looking at Google Developers website where you can make apps and websites in their cloud and by cloud I'm assuming this is the type of server technology Google has for this?

In any case it looks like you can have a website for FREE in their cloud! So I guess my point is I'm paying for a website now but it DOES USE SESSIONS. Can you use PHP session in Google Developer? I don't see where it says I can.

There are definite limits in content allowance and other stuff to using Google's cloud, but why would I want to use their cloud Vs. a normal server like a web server? Please fill me in on details? Do you think their cloud makes FOR GOOD WEB HOSTING?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I Still Don't Get This Entire Cloud Computing Thing With Google?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I Still Don't Get This Entire Cloud Computing Thing With Google?

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:21 PM

In any case it looks like you can have a website for FREE in their cloud! So I guess my point is I'm paying for a website now but it DOES USE SESSIONS. Can you use PHP session in Google Developer? I don't see where it says I can.

I'm sure you can.

There are definite limits in content allowance and other stuff to using Google's cloud, but why would I want to use their cloud Vs. a normal server like a web server? Please fill me in on details? Do you think their cloud makes FOR GOOD WEB HOSTING?

I'm not too knowledgable on their PHP cloud, but a lot of cloud providers allow for xxx-as-a-service. Take scaling for instance. It's alot easier to let Google manage your infrastructure if you don't know how to, and you anticipate more resources will be needed in the future. Maybe this Instagram startup article will put things on perspective. They offer alot useful APIs to make your life easier as well. You can do a heck of a lot with their Cloud Storage API.

This post has been edited by blackcompe: 08 January 2014 - 09:22 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:14 PM

I personally have problems with the whole "cloud" buzzword. It is just a series of servers out there somewhere being managed and paid for by someone, even if they allow you to "dynamically" scale your site to have more RAM, or storage, or CPU power. It is all just someone holding your site for you.

Now, as far as things go, "clouds" have the advantage that they can scale, in theory, easily based on your current needs. So if, say, your site has a peek traffic time at noon and it gets hit with 100x the number of requests during that hour as the rest of the day, a "cloud" could allow you to also have 100x the processing power for that time and automatically scale it down again afterwards. This is pretty nice, but you always have to keep in mind that they have a finite amount of resources. If all their sites all of a sudden require 100x the processing power at the same time they won't be able to keep up with everyone. "clouds" also normally have in their terms that you can get "up to" a certain amount of something (CPU, RAM, storage, etc.) they don't guarantee a minimum, only that X is the maximum. So there is a chance your site may just be dead in the water at some points in the day as well (hopefully not likely, but still, it is possible).

Most of the time, whatever hosting company you are with will already be virtualizing your server so it could theoretically scale as needed, they just don't offer the scaling dynamically as "cloud" providers do. Personally, if you need more space or power on your server, I would suggest starting out by either getting a more powerful hosting plan, or purchasing a full server (with the 64GB+ RAM and all and having a hosting company just route traffic to your server for you). That will, obviously, be a bit more work for you, but at least you will have a guarantee about what you can and can't use at any given time. Plus at that point things are in your control.

In general, I just always think of "clouds" as servers that are able to work together. If you look at VMWare they have ESXi server (a type-1 hypervisor that runs on server hardware) and VCenter server which can control and group a series of servers. With those 2 pieces of software (and probably VSphere to make management easier) you can set up a personal cloud with 3 physical servers (sadly they strongly recommend against having the VCenter server running on a VM within any ESXi server it manages). They also allow automatic failover if one server dies unexpectedly where both servers have the same virtual machine running at the same time with mirrored RAM so they are in the same state, and then if one VM or physical server just dies on you everything is pushed over to the second one automatically and it only takes a second or so to update which VM is the primary one (which I think is pretty awesome).

Now, this has turned into a bit of a rant, but I hope you can see the overarching theme here: "clouds" are just servers, all the hardware and software still has to exist, and it still has to be managed somewhere. You can get bit if you use a "cloud" service too, for example: what do they do if you exceed your storage plan? Keep it for you? Just dump any new data? Hold it hostage until you pay them more money? How do you get a backup of your data? There are a lot of questions that need to be answered and thought through when considering a "cloud" solution.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:43 AM

Good solid points BetaWars. With the cheaper and cheaper prices of servers and what not I'm finding that I'm actually NOT using things like Google's "cloud" service for the obvious questions that you asked.

I'm also confused still as to whether or not you could use PHP sessions in the cloud like that? The guy above you said "I'm sure they do". This raises even more questions for me though. For example if they do support sessions what about session hijacking? There are PHP directions you can use for making sure session use on cookies encryption

and http only etc. To help make session much harder to hijack. Does the google cloud ALREADY DO THIS? I would assume they do but who knows? This all makes me skeptical of moving my site(s) there?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:55 AM

In my opinion, the whole thing about "cloud", was changing the business rules. Apart from that, servers are servers, hardware is hardware and software is software.There are the same constraints more or less: a paid plan gives you much more and a free one gives less. But one way or another, some day it is inevitable that all will be organized in "clouds". The only important thing for me, is that cloud computing for individuals needs some time to mature. Meanwhile there's no point for a company offering cloud hosting and infrastructure, to not support things that web hosting does.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1