11 Replies - 1691 Views - Last Post: 17 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

car accident

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:19 AM

just last night i got into my first car accident. the roads were very icy and the car in front of me spun out and with the ice as bad as it was i had no time to stop. This was my first accident and im pretty shaken up. My question has anyone else on DIC been in a semi serious car accident and if so how long did whole process take of getting everything fixed and how much did it cost?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: car accident

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: car accident

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:20 AM

So sorry to hear that. Wrecks are scary.

I've been in 2, neither were my fault. My first one was when I was 12. We were coming back from seeing my grandpa who was in the hospital after a wreck. We tried merging to pull over and get our bearings since we were lost, but the car next to us sped up as we were merging and we collided. The cars got stuck together and we slid off the road into a tree. I just got whiplash and nasty bruising, and that took a month or two to recover from, and I think I got some money into a savings account that I couldn't get until I was 18. By the time I got it I got about $5k. Bought my first car with it. Mom got a severely bruised and strained arm from the air bag and had to wear a sling for several weeks, and my grandma broke her knee. My mom still feels terrible for "hurting her mom". Meh.

Second one was my senior year. Luckily, I was driving my moms car and not mine (lol I'm such a bitch) as I was taking it somewhere after school for some reason or another. It was december and there was snow and ice on the ground. Some van a few vehicles in front of us ran out of gas in the middle of the road, so everybody was stopped or slowed down to pass around them. I was stopped, or like 5 mph, but the truck behind me decided he didn't want to stop. 35 mph collision was so hard that it broke mine and my friend who was in the front seat's seats. My left hip was kinda dislocated, but they couldn't put it all the way back in, so I have to deal with pain every now and then, and it's started causing slight curvature in the spine. She hurt her back, but her dad didn't take her to get any real care, so she got nothing. I think I got a few grand for that one too. Meh.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:53 AM

Been there, done that.

For car accidents, if you live, you win. No life long physical damage, you win big. If you're relatively unscathed, extra points. If the vehicle still moves under its own power, you are lucky. It's good to keep things in perspective.

First, call your insurance company. If you have crap insurance, you'll probably have to call theirs. Insurance may pay for a rental. "Totaled" means insurance is paying you "blue book" for the car and no more, which isn't always the best deal.

There are a number of variables, depending on your insurance. However, any insurance company should be able to explain your options and tell you what to do next.

You will need to get a police report, if there is one. My first car accident, the police showed up after I left the scene: awkward.

I can count the number of accidents I've been in on one hand. Even the minor ones are traumatic. They will all stay with you. Don't let it spook you. Just know your fellow drivers are trying to kill you and act accordingly. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

Sounds like you've come out of it physically unscathed - if so, I'm glad to hear it. Even a minor accident can mess you up, so you should count yourself lucky if you come away in good shape.

I've only been in one accident, years ago. I was riding in a friend's VW bug - the old-school one, not the reboot - and he lost control coming around a curve, due to a new rain and a slick road. We would up upside-down, facing back down the road, on top of someone's garage (this was on a hill, so there was a pretty sharp drop-off to the right, and the top of the garage was a few feet below road level). Oh, and we could hear a loud hissing that we determined pretty quickly was a natural gas line we'd broken on the way off the road.

All in all, we were very lucky. Neither of us was hurt, no major damage to any property amazingly enough. The car was totaled, of course, but it was pretty much a wreck going in, so that wasn't a big deal.

Even the minor ones are traumatic. They will all stay with you. Don't let it spook you. Just know your fellow drivers are trying to kill you and act accordingly.

Second this. You're going to remember it, probably for a long time. I still have an image in my mind, a freeze-frame shot of the driver of a car approaching us just as the traction went bye-bye, and the look of shock on his face. I also can replay the process of getting out of the car - this was a bit of a job, and we were in a bit of a hurry.
The question is, what are you going to take away from this? Not to suggest that you were being inattentive or careless, but if this makes you even more cautious and aware when you're behind the wheel, that's a good thing. You now have a very visceral example of how important it is to be completely aware of everything going on around you when you're in charge of a vehicle, and just exactly why this demands your full attention, all the time. If you take this lesson to heart, this accident will be a very profitable one for you since you'll suddenly be a much better and safer driver than 90% of the people around you.

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 11 January 2014 - 01:19 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:32 PM

thanks guys. no one was hurt in the accident and there is only about 500 dollars worth of damage to my car ( still alot but it could have been worse). When the cop wrote up the accident he stated that since the roads were not salted and extremely icy neither party was at fault. Im just happy no one got hurt and both cars are relatively ok.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:31 AM

I myself have only been in one car accident, which happened to be on my 12th birthday. My mother was driving in a Mitsubishi Pajero, with a solid bull bar attached. We where on our way to my grandmothers, following our tradition of cutting the cake at her house. It was a single lane(single lane both ways) highway, and there was not a lot of traffic that night, which was surprising. My mother turned around to the back seat to yell at my friend and I, by the time she turned around, all she said was 'Hold On, where about to hit', then she put her arm across my sister who was in the passenger seat. We ended up hitting a little Hyundai Excel, which is a little small two door shitbox. Luckily, no one was in the back seat of the car we hit, or they would have been severely injured. All in all, we all came out of it with minor injuries, except my cake, that for a foot into it :( R.I.P Chocolate Cake.

I am now a panel beater, and I repair a lot of crashed cars, and I tell you, I've seen some pretty horrific cars come through, luckily all the occupants have walked away from. It really shows, that cars are not toys, they are dangerous machines that have the potential and probability to kill other human beings.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:59 AM

Glad you're ok! Lots of good advice here.

Also, hope you had insurance...I was in a semi-serious accident where I was at fault without insurance. Took me about 5 years to pay off...was not pretty. Now I have awesome insurance - it may cost but it's so much less than what I was paying.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:44 PM

thanks for all the advice! i was pretty upset about the whole situation but i realized that it could have been so much worse. Luckily i have insurance and the accident was non fault. once again thanks to everyone who posted!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:13 AM

Yes, Insurance company took away the $1 mil umbrella policy after the accident. Made everyone get there own, I was stuck paying $168/mo for a good 10 years. The truck was stuck in paper work and racked up so much in impound fees that we had to pay to get it out and that was after the insurance paid us. Worst part was that the truck was completely destroyed. So it went strait from the impound to the scrap yard.

I don't know the numbers and I don't want to think about it.
But there where lawyers. Spent 2 weeks at a friends house due to threats. having to find a replacement car, Not sure what the er cost were, I lost a few weeks of memory.

So don't over work yourself, you might fall asleep at the wheel like I did.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Your worst nightmare
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:17 PM

Yeah, accidents suck!! Minicoder and I got into one about a month ago, on my first day of work. Damn roads were icy, and we did a 360 into a ditch. He thought it was fun, and neither of us were hurt!! Took my car out of commission for a week.

A month later, and I am still a bit nervous about driving on ice, but tg I have a company who forces me to work from home whenever a snow storm is coming.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 DarenR  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:54 PM

Ive been in a few but not as bad as the my wife's wreck. In the past 10 years she has had 1 18 wheeler that wanted to part of her car and 1 box truck that though the side of her looked good. 1st car totalled 2nd car had $14k of damage
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

i was in a car accident that was fatal for the person who caused it. fucked up shit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1