• +

24 Replies - 3029 Views - Last Post: 16 January 2014 - 06:28 AM

#1 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

What Are You Taking This Semester?

Post icon  Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

What fun and relevant CS-related courses is everyone taking this semester? Is anyone taking their first programming class? What about some upper level and theory courses? Any fun related math courses?

I'm taking a CS Seminar on Hypergraph Algorithms, this semester. It's taught by a bioinformatics professor, and we should be discussing a lot of current research, from the sound of things. I think there will be a fair amount of implementation, too.

I've also got a Graph Theory course in the math department. We will be dealing with greedy algorithm proofs with Matroids, graph coloring, and hopefully some algebraic graph theory. It looks like a really neat course.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What Are You Taking This Semester?

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What Are You Taking This Semester?

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

I'm taking:

- Microprocessors
- Constraint Programming
- Neural Networks

Micro is super boring, CP is quite nice but meh, NN is interesting but the prof sucks big time.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:39 PM

I'm taking AP Computer Science B (I'm a high school senior). I learned Python my sophomore year, so this is not the first time I've been exposed to programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#4 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:55 PM

Do you mean AP CS A? The AB course was cancelled a few years back due to low enrollment.

Also, you may find some of our Java tutorials helpful. Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:36 PM

I'm taking one on web development, a second course on C++ programming, though we'll be looking at algorithms and things like that more I suspect, a second discrete mathematics course and one on the design and implementation of software. After that a 3 week course where we group up and actually develop something. Looks like it'll be a great semester.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#6 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:56 PM

That sounds like fun! The Discrete topics should really complement the algorithm analysis work!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:44 PM

I'm taking...

Android Development
Capstone (Project design, developing android app for third party client)
Grad Control Systems
Grad Topics Seminar
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#8 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

Are you doing grad school for Computer Engineering, EE, or CS? Sounds like you're getting a very EE/CE flavor.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:00 PM

I'm a high school junior, but i'm taking AP Language and Composition, Spanish II, AP Government and AP Biology. I'm also working on a research project on the side (working with UGA, actually got a summer job lined up to work on it with a professor, its a fish harvesting game) and learning Java on the side as well, so those are my "computer science" classes, I guess.

I hate AP Lang. I can't wait until I can go to college and do stuff I'm interested in.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#10 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:43 PM

English isn't my favorite subject either. Getting out of freshman English is nice, though. It will pay off to take it now, both in terms of saving money on credit hours and not wasting your time if you don't have to do so.

The research experience sounds like fun! Is your fish harvesting game related to ecology modeling? How does the research experience fit in? Kudos on learning Java, as well. Sounds like you have a fun summer ahead of you!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:15 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 11 January 2014 - 09:43 PM, said:

English isn't my favorite subject either. Getting out of freshman English is nice, though. It will pay off to take it now, both in terms of saving money on credit hours and not wasting your time if you don't have to do so.

The research experience sounds like fun! Is your fish harvesting game related to ecology modeling? How does the research experience fit in? Kudos on learning Java, as well. Sounds like you have a fun summer ahead of you!

Yeah, my school is considering having AP Lang count as 2 English credits, which means I would be done with high school English, and if I make a 5 ( realistic possibility, I made a 5 on the semester final (year long class)) and I attend UGA (probable), I'll be done with English forever.

UGA is doing research on how fish populations react to overharvesting and whatnot, so I'm assisting their research in making this game that takes the theories of fish populations and presents them in a game form. It'll help their research and also be used as an educational tool to teach more people about fish, harvesting fish and the ill-effects of overharvesting fish. This summer I'll be working on fine-tuning it as well as making it into an app to reach more people. And thanks!

Btw, the game is hosted at fishharvestinggame.comli.com (temporarily). And mods, if I can't link that, simply remove it and if you want the link to the game just PM me.

This post has been edited by Xaos: 11 January 2014 - 10:16 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:17 PM

If you hit college and find you need an additional writing intensive course, consider proof writing as an alternative. It's math, it will help prepare you for CS Theory, and it will sharpen your writing much more than an English class.

The fish harvesting research sounds really neat, and like you're on a good track for college! Best of luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:37 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 11 January 2014 - 10:17 PM, said:

If you hit college and find you need an additional writing intensive course, consider proof writing as an alternative. It's math, it will help prepare you for CS Theory, and it will sharpen your writing much more than an English class.

The fish harvesting research sounds really neat, and like you're on a good track for college! Best of luck!

Oh hey thanks, I hadn't thought about using proof writing for a writing type course. And thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:50 PM

Btw, the game is hosted at fishharvestinggame.comli.com (temporarily). And mods, if I can't link that, simply remove it and if you want the link to the game just PM me.

It's all good! If you want to share your progress, you might consider blogging about your experience here, or opening a thread in the Share Your Project forum. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:01 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 11 January 2014 - 02:56 PM, said:

That sounds like fun! The Discrete topics should really complement the algorithm analysis work!

So I hear. The first discrete course didn't really overlap with programming much but I'm told that some part of this one we'll actually implement some of these things, so that'll be fun I hope. Are you done with all your programming classes? I noticed that most of your courses this semester seem to be math related.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +