• (2 Pages)
  • +

24 Replies - 2864 Views - Last Post: 16 January 2014 - 06:28 AM

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What Are You Taking This Semester?

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:08 AM

My majors are Applied Discrete Math and Econ. The CS minor is built into my math degree. I switched from CS since math offered more CS theory type courses than the CS department did. Hypergraphs will probably be a good deal of implementation, or so I hear. This is the first time the course will be offered, I think. It's actually a PhD seminar, and half the students enrolled are undergrads. I'm taking a full load this semester and Hypergraphs isn't necessary, so I may drop it to free up some time for other courses, specifically second semester Real Analysis. Integration proofs will be a bear, I'm assuming.

Next fall, I will be taking AI if I can get into it. That's fairly implementation heavy. I'd like to take some Machine Learning in Grad School, as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:16 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 11 January 2014 - 11:45 PM, said:

Are you doing grad school for Computer Engineering, EE, or CS? Sounds like you're getting a very EE/CE flavor.

I did my undergrad in Computer Engineering, I am now doing my Grad in EE. I have always been very software/computer science based but I find EE very interesting. I would do Computer Engineering for Grad school, but for some reason Cal Poly SLO doesn't offer it. I can make the EE Grad program very Computer Engineering specific by the classes that I choose, so it's not a big problem for me.

So I hear. The first discrete course didn't really overlap with programming much

It doesn't involve actual programming, however it goes over the theory you need to be a good programmer. Anyone can learn syntax, but if you don't know data structures, then you will never truly know how to program. Discrete goes over a ton of math, data structures, graph theory, proofs, algorithms that are necessary to be a proficient programmer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:19 AM

That's good that you can customize your EE program.

So I hear. The first discrete course didn't really overlap with programming much

It doesn't involve actual programming, however it goes over the theory you need to be a good programmer. Anyone can learn syntax, but if you don't know data structures, then you will never truly know how to program. Discrete goes over a ton of math, data structures, graph theory, proofs, algorithms that are necessary to be a proficient programmer.

Discrete courses vary a ton. You can take three different Discrete courses and get three very different flavors. Some are more project based and allow for more implementation. Others are strictly theory. I took one that was entirely proofs-based. It was a subset of the Proofs for Math Majors course, covering logic, sets, functions, and relations in the context of teaching proofs. The only CS topic covered was Big-O. I also took another Discrete course that was a survey course, with room for projects.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:38 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 12 January 2014 - 12:08 AM, said:

My majors are Applied Discrete Math and Econ. The CS minor is built into my math degree. I switched from CS since math offered more CS theory type courses than the CS department did. Hypergraphs will probably be a good deal of implementation, or so I hear. This is the first time the course will be offered, I think. It's actually a PhD seminar, and half the students enrolled are undergrads. I'm taking a full load this semester and Hypergraphs isn't necessary, so I may drop it to free up some time for other courses, specifically second semester Real Analysis. Integration proofs will be a bear, I'm assuming.

Next fall, I will be taking AI if I can get into it. That's fairly implementation heavy. I'd like to take some Machine Learning in Grad School, as well.

Sounds like a bit more challenging path than the one I'm on. Sure I have a few theory courses but unless I opt for more, I get away with a couple of assembly courses as well as 3 math courses. It's not that I dislike them per se, but the more theoretical courses take up considerably more time (usually), and I want to be able to put more focus on web development. That being said, the theoretical classes can be really fun. I thoroughly enjoyed my assembly/floating point/cache learing class last semester for instance, which I didn't expect.

This post has been edited by Tenderfoot: 12 January 2014 - 12:40 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:48 AM

I tend to shy away from the Systems/Architecture/Organization courses, personally. The theory courses I lean towards are more Theory of Computation, Number Theory, Algebra, and Graph Theory. I've found these courses to take up less time than the CS courses, since I really don't have projects. The one exception is Real Analysis, but that's a different animal entirely.

I'm looking at doing AI, Combinatorial Game Theory, and behavioral Econ, so the Math/Econ combination allows me more flexibility than CS did. The minor is actually perfect, and I've gotten more relevant CS material out of my math courses.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:06 PM

Hello All,

I am taking some fun classes this semester:

• Java Programming
  • Intro to HTML
  • CompTIA OS Maint and troubleshooting

Also i am very happy to be here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:25 AM

This semester I took:
- Computer Network
- Automata and formal languages
- Internet programming
- OOD

Internet programming was generally a waste of time, all other courses are pretty interesting but weren't taught as interestingly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

Math or CS classes I'll be taking spring semester-

Mobile Interfaces: "Focuses on the fundamentals of interface design for mobile devices. Topics include input, output, organization, and human-computer interaction. Various tools are used to design and implement interfaces appropriate for various screen sizes and resolutions found on mobile devices."

and

MATH 114: Which is basically just trig. I'll need this to take my core CS classes next school year.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:06 PM

Im doing a part time degree with the Open University on Computing and IT (software development route)

The 60 credit module is called TU100 My Digital Life its quite diverse and deals with how the web was built, ubiquitous computing, networks a little programming with a version of MIT's 'scratch' called 'sense' some algebra and so on.

Next year I will be taking Java, Visual Basic, Web development and an introduction to Linux and robotics.

Considering my background I have found it very easy and currently aceing my exams with little effort.

Next year should be slightly harder and the year after that should be very challenging.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#25 Xaos  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:28 AM

How's everyone's classes going this semester? How are some of your CS classes structured (I'm curious).

I hate AP Language and Composition, Spanish 2 is pretty bad, AP Gov is great and AP Bio is interesting but it's the end of the day and it can get dull. Our school issued us iPads so whenever I'm done with work or whatever, I try to work on my football sim, but typing on iPad without keyboard + non-runnable code (no easy way to run it) + I'm using Pages to code....it can get ridiculous, but it's fun :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +