5 Replies - 1789 Views - Last Post: 25 January 2014 - 04:05 PM Rate Topic: -----

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

A Journey through Emacs in Ruby

Post icon  Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:30 PM

As I am an avid Vim user from my time as a System Administrator, I've been repeatedly told that my leanings toward Lisp and anything in Ruby that resembles it would translate better to Emacs. I've decided to give Emacs a run, and see what all the noise is about.

So why post this here? I plan to document this journey, in an attempt to give insight to a few things:
  • What it's like to switch an IDE
  • The potential benefits of Emacs
  • Emacs from a Vim lover's perspective.

I'm also planning on submitting this as a proposal to a few conferences as I go along. If I do get accepted I plan to post back here on it.

This post has been edited by Lemur: 11 January 2014 - 11:18 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: A Journey through Emacs in Ruby

#2 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: A Journey through Emacs in Ruby

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:50 PM

Sounds like fun. I've been using emacs a fair bit in recent months, and it's actually kind of pleasant. Haven't done much with ruby (it on the list...) but for python and octave it's been pretty nice. Also for ml, though I don't think I'm going to be doing a lot of ml going forward. As a lisp guy, you might actually find it's not so bad. (though of course vi is the One True Editor, as we know)

You might want to take a look at this here that a friend of mine made. Apparently people are finding it useful.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 BetaWar  Icon User is online

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:16 PM

Ah, I tried playing with emacs a little, long ago, and I just couldn't get the hang of it (though I did only use it for a few days before giving up). Vim on the other hand I was able to get the basics pretty quickly (I liked that it didn't have the Ctrl+X+W+Y+butterfly command structures that emacs did) and wound up learning it over a week to the point I will use it over eclipse or some other full blown IDE these days. Plus there are things out there like you-complete-me which allow Vim to do intellisense which is pretty nifty (I just have to wait for Fedora to support the libraries it uses...).

Good luck on your emacs delve!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:59 PM

When I was a System Administrator and DevOps guy, Vim made substantially more sense for me to use. Now that I'm in a Software Engineering job, it's done me well but I'm still curious to see what emacs has to offer, as I'm somewhat of a LISP zealot. Vimscript is nightmarish, as vim was designed to be essentially vanilla and lightweight. The more I add to it the less it feels like Vim.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:54 PM

Have you considered VIP? I haven't really played with this, but it might be worth a go.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

I have a college friend who was an extremely hardcore emacs user. He was hired at my work recently and after showing him some things that he would be doing and how to generally go about doing them while i was using vim. He decided to take vim for a spin. His biggest reason? emacs pinky...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emacs#.22Emacs_pinky.22
He's a huge emacs lisp/lisp guy, absolutely loves it. (is in the middle of developing a lisp interpreter for his arduino or whichever microprocessor he has). But absolutely you should try it out. I never got the hang of it, but using vim for a day or two i was hooked and have been ever since. Minus that short run with sublime text in 2013.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1