2 Replies - 206 Views - Last Post: 13 January 2014 - 08:11 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Where to start? (I've done websites before but its been 10 years)

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:16 PM

I've been considering doing my own website, and I was wondering what advice people had for it? At this point, all I really want is what are the best options for making a website as cheaply as possible (I realize I could just code the whole thing in notepad, but don't want to do it THAT cheaply), and make it look as professional as possible? At some point, I do know that I will want a database on the site, but that is about it as far as design goes. Right now it is just an idea, and an excuse to learn more code.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Where to start? (I've done websites before but its been 10 years)

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Where to start? (I've done websites before but its been 10 years)

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:38 PM

Use a content management system.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Where to start? (I've done websites before but its been 10 years)

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:11 AM

The whole thing boils down to what efforts are you willing to put. To make a medium (in the sense of complexity) website today is extremely easy. So if you want to brush up and expand your skills, pick some specific technology for server side (open preferred if you want something free), choose an IDE as you mention that you don't want to use something that simple as Notepad, use some libraries/ frameworks for server and/or client side and a db technology (like MySQL - just an example) and there you go. On the other hand, if developing something from scratch or nearly from scratch is not what you want, pick some CMS as blackcompe pointed out, and work the safe way. It's up to you
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1