4 Replies - 1195 Views - Last Post: 16 January 2014 - 09:49 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

what mathematics topics should I learn for programming?

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

I am currently 16 and as a younger kid I always hated school so I never payed attention in class especially maths which whould have obvioulsy been a big help now.
I guess I know basic maths but even that I am not really good at in my head.

Things such as fractions and algebra I find quite hard and I was wondering if any of you could link me to a well rounded book or some sort of resource to improve my maths skills.
I know I could just go and look up some tutorials but I don't know what tutorials are better quality that others and this is why I am requesting others input.
so yes I know how to use google its more that google doesn't have opinions on things.

I was also wondering if anyone would know what I should start learning after I get a more solid understanding of basic mathematics concepts that would help me out with creating algorithms.

Thanks, Jake.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: what mathematics topics should I learn for programming?

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: what mathematics topics should I learn for programming?

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:49 PM

Moved to Student Campus.

Aside from your basic high school algebra and trig, you will want a good foundation with your calculus. It helps in algorithm analysis. From there, check out my blog entry Which Math Courses Should I Take, as well as our pinned Math Resource Thread.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:54 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 15 January 2014 - 05:49 PM, said:

Moved to Student Campus.

Aside from your basic high school algebra and trig, you will want a good foundation with your calculus. It helps in algorithm analysis. From there, check out my blog entry Which Math Courses Should I Take, as well as our pinned Math Resource Thread.

Awesome thanks for your quick response.
I will look at that right away.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• جوروترا

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:48 AM

Hi,

Just to add on macosxnerd101's suggestion. Make sure you manage to grasp a good understanding on those fractions and algebra concepts before venturing into Calculus. It would be daunting to venture into Calculus without a strong understanding on those basic concepts.

regards
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:49 AM

In my opinion, Discrete Math is one of the most important math related classes for striving computer scientists, programmers and if you ask me, anyone. I feel like I learned a lot about what math is during that course and it has given me a good foundation as a programmer.
There are many other things to learn, such as linear algebra and calculus but if I had to start somewhere i would've start with discrete math.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1