Big Ideas, Little Expierience, learning java to earn $$ (pos

• (3 Pages)
  • +

40 Replies - 1606 Views - Last Post: 20 January 2014 - 06:04 PM Rate Topic: ***-- 2 Votes

Poll: Big Ideas, Little Expierience, learning java to earn $$ (pos (2 member(s) have cast votes)

In your idea, should i start with app development (small) then move on to computer programming? or start with computer programming, and apply my knowledge to Applet design. or should i not start small and go for a big project right off the bat

1. Start with Apps (using Java if possible) (2 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. Start with web games and file games (by file i mean downloadable, or buy able, both through java) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Start with a Biiig project, that will require time, but possibly an experience payout, and smaller projects would be easier, if you vote this i would like you to comment why (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Big Ideas, Little Expierience, learning java to earn $$ (pos

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 15 January 2014 - 08:02 PM, said:

Sounds about right. Best of luck in your pursuits!

Thanks! couldn't have asked for anyone better to answer my questions. hopefully next time i ask for help, it will be more specific towards a project
-Kkajr

i found a book! and i got it for "free" as an Ebook, i've learned how to get "free" things by not having much $$ the name of the book is "Beginning Java SE 6"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:26 PM

it is a book that literally fits both my and your ideals! in the first 2 chapter (200 pages) it explains all basic java, it also has projects in a cd it comes with, then in the last 2 chapters (170 pages) it works with designing sprites,and OOP, and a ton of things i dont understand "yet" also, am i allowed to post the pdf as a file?

View PostKkajr, on 15 January 2014 - 08:16 PM, said:

it is a book that literally fits both my and your ideals! in the first 2 chapter (200 pages) it explains all basic java, it also has projects in a cd it comes with, then in the last 2 chapters (170 pages) it works with designing sprites,and OOP, and a ton of things i dont understand "yet" also, am i allowed to post the pdf as a file?

i recommend you to download it, only 4 mb i think, then people who ask the same things i do, you can give them this file
delete it if you dont think it is allowed

View PostKkajr, on 15 January 2014 - 08:18 PM, said:

View PostKkajr, on 15 January 2014 - 08:16 PM, said:

i recommend you to download it, only 4 mb i think, then people who ask the same things i do, you can give them this file
delete it if you dont think it is allowed

oops, forgot to attach the file
huh wont let me...

oh well, look it up, awesome book

now i understand why you didn't want me to start with OOP (object oriented programming) and instead it seems like vector graphics is the right way to go

This post has been edited by Kkajr: 15 January 2014 - 08:19 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#33 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:38 PM

Please don't encourage people to illegally download books. It is unethical, regardless of how much (or little) money you have.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

aye, i do understand
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:27 PM

Start learning Java through Android app development. It's how I learned. I did a few of the basic java tutorials, learned the basics in a day, understood what main was, got bored of Java on the PC, then moved on to Android. I made my first $600 on Android two weeks later, before I even learned a lick of Swing. If you want to learn Java, learn what primitives are, what static means, operators, how to create methods, understand main(), then move to Android. You'll bore yourself to death learning Java through one of those ridiculous desktop java books.

This post has been edited by farrell2k: 15 January 2014 - 11:28 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:29 AM

View Postfarrell2k, on 15 January 2014 - 11:27 PM, said:

Start learning Java through Android app development. It's how I learned. I did a few of the basic java tutorials, learned the basics in a day, understood what main was, got bored of Java on the PC, then moved on to Android. I made my first $600 on Android two weeks later, before I even learned a lick of Swing. If you want to learn Java, learn what primitives are, what static means, operators, how to create methods, understand main(), then move to Android. You'll bore yourself to death learning Java through one of those ridiculous desktop java books.

Oh? Why android? And i do like reading, but if there is a faster alternative, that is great too! i have a book, but i might like to try out your methods, could you be a little more specific? what do you mean "moved on to android" did you just learn to apply the basics for it? also, howd you make the $600? was it an application, or a game
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• جوروترا

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:42 AM

Hi,

You should start with the basics of your chosen language. Start with "hello world" then progress from there. Make sure you understand all the mechanics and concepts. I know, it takes time but it is really worth it. Remember, one can run only when one knows how to walk.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:59 AM

but if there is a faster alternative,

After read this thread it occurred to me - why haven't you looked into a 'game studio' environment? Everything you are saying seems geared towards 'learning to make a game sans learning programming' or burning a whole mess of time looking for some sort of short cut to the learning process (" am not looking towards learning to code,"). It seems like a game dev kit would be pretty much that.

Examples:

http://store.steampo...com/app/235900/
http://store.steampo...com/app/214850/
http://store.steampo...com/app/227240/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:26 AM

View PostKkajr, on 16 January 2014 - 02:29 PM, said:

Oh? Why android? And i do like reading, but if there is a faster alternative, that is great too! i have a book, but i might like to try out your methods, could you be a little more specific? what do you mean "moved on to android" did you just learn to apply the basics for it? also, howd you make the $600? was it an application, or a game

Because you will make $0 on java games on the PC, unless you are really lucky or create something really useful, which you likely will not. Android is completely different and much easier to monetize than some stupid applet game.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:34 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 16 January 2014 - 07:59 AM, said:

but if there is a faster alternative,

After read this thread it occurred to me - why haven't you looked into a 'game studio' environment? Everything you are saying seems geared towards 'learning to make a game sans learning programming' or burning a whole mess of time looking for some sort of short cut to the learning process (" am not looking towards learning to code,"). It seems like a game dev kit would be pretty much that.

Examples:

http://store.steampo...com/app/235900/
http://store.steampo...com/app/214850/
http://store.steampo...com/app/227240/

Yeah, this is what i was looking for, but i also need the skill beyond just this, i sorta like the RPG maker xp, and i would use it for the easiness to use, but as i understand it will also let you add your own graphics and code, alongside the pre added stuff. I'll try it, thanks (I still have a book to read on logic, and i also want to try some coding in android, but this sounds like an interesting pass time that also gives practice! But what i dont understand is if they would take credit for a game that you made directly close to theirs, it seems that the only way to not be close to what they preset, is to add your own code, i'll update when i see how it works
Thanks!
-Kkajr
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:04 PM

View Postfarrell2k, on 16 January 2014 - 09:26 AM, said:

View PostKkajr, on 16 January 2014 - 02:29 PM, said:

Oh? Why android? And i do like reading, but if there is a faster alternative, that is great too! i have a book, but i might like to try out your methods, could you be a little more specific? what do you mean "moved on to android" did you just learn to apply the basics for it? also, how'd you make the $600? was it an application, or a game

Because you will make $0 on java games on the PC, unless you are really lucky or create something really useful, which you likely will not. Android is completely different and much easier to monetize than some stupid applet game.

OK, i get that browser applets aren't a good source of $$, but what did you do on android? did you make apps that help people organize? or did you make a game? also, i have already learned the basics, so where did you learn when you moved on to android? i mean where did you learn android specific java, for games (if you did games) 'cause I am sticking with my ideas of making games, even if i have to push 'em off a bit for learning logic and syntex, but i think the time spent will save much more in the future,
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +