Most Interesting Thing You've Coded, etc

• (2 Pages)
  • +

17 Replies - 2348 Views - Last Post: 06 February 2014 - 07:39 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Most Interesting Thing You've Coded, etc

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:21 PM

What's the most interesting/cool thing you've ever coded, programmed, designed, whatever? Just interested in some of the stuff our members have done!

For me, it'd be my fish harvesting game. This game is gonna be used a research and educational tool to help UGA research fish populations and overharvesting and teach people about how over harvesting fish is bad.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Most Interesting Thing You've Coded, etc

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Most Interesting Thing You've Coded, etc

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

Moving to 'software dev'.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:54 PM

Currently, several more interesting projects now that I'm really getting into Ruby.

If I had to pick one that exists: https://github.com/baweaver/Benchpress - "Pit a few ruby methods against eachother, and chart it for great glory."

If I had to pick one that's about to be in progress, it would be my rather ambitious new project I started drafting an hour ago: https://gist.github....aweaver/8467481

Skyforge - A super powered self-optimizing fixture generator. Finds out what data is actually being used by your tests, and creates new features custom tailored to each test. Rebuilds custom fixtures after file changes. Still working out other features to add to it as I go. I'm rather having fun with this one.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:00 PM

The most interesting thing I have ever coded was probably my Server From Scratch, which I actually started a tutorial series on (and recently found the source for it that I thought was lost, so I could theoretically continue it). However, it was extremely hackish and not too great overall (had a random segfault, etc.)

I am currently working on something that I find much more interesting, and that is coding a embedded HTTP server to spec (HTTP 1.1) and then hopefully going to add in the capability for web sockets, RESTful interfaces, and JSON consumption/ responses. The goal is being lightweight and fast... though... at the moment I am having an interesting problem where my server doesn't receive any of the requests... it was working better earlier...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:07 AM

A program to help the user visualise certain aspects of protein structures. These molecules contain so many atoms that it is impossible for a human to make much sense of the structure without help. The project went all the way from scientific first principles to algorithmic development, databasing, data mining, and visualisation. It has had a feedback cycle so use of the software has informed the science which in turn lead to further improvements to the software and analysis of the data. It's an ongoing process that is continually producing exciting results.

A program that produces a view of groundwater data. It takes as input groundwater flow rates and a geographic area of interest. It outputs charts showing where the groundwater in that area came from and flows to, and can estimate the time for the water to flow between nodes. It has applications in planning (e.g. will putting a petrol station here contaminate protected land, and to what extent) amongst other things.

Something I like about these programs is that they solve problems that exist outside of computers. I think a common failure of programmers (including myself) is that we are so fixated on those rectangular screens that we invent things that only a computer enthusiast (or worse, a programmer) would be interested in. I do my share of that too but it has been exciting to be involved in projects that solve problems in other domains.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:25 AM

As someone who is fairly new to programming the most complicated project I've written is a simple rpg game engine as an assignment at school (college, but I call it school) and of course a short game based on that engine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:43 AM

View Postcfoley, on 17 January 2014 - 04:07 AM, said:

A program to help the user visualise certain aspects of protein structures.

Heh, you just made me think of one. Many, many moons ago, when Second Life first came out, I wrote some code for the environment. The environment had enough limitiations, that it was quite amusing. Someone asked me if I could do something that looked like a carbon-60 molecule; a buckyball. Because of the environment limitations, I ended up writing something that essentially grew; each atom looking for neighbors, spawning neighbors, broadcasting existence, and making connections.

I started working on an educational program based on that, but began to be apparent that SL was not a good place for education. I've never looked an minecraft...

I wrote an HTTP server as a front end for a Live CD. Actually, some of the launch code (not the server, but the windows bootstrap) from that found it's way onto the Ubuntu 5.04 Live CD, I believe.

To be honest, interesting coding often doesn't result in interesting things. That's why you need other programmers to talk to. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:35 AM

Hello, World!.

jk I made a microprcessor in a circuit sim program and made my own instruction set. That was cool.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:15 AM

The most interesting thing I've ever made was a Magic The Gathering Deck creator/Price Checker. I can no longer develop it though, because I didn't know while I was developing it that I was breaking the websites TOS, because it scraped gatherer.wizards.com and read the HTML to create a database of every card ever printed. The database held card Images, the card IDs Wizards used on their page, the card names, the cards effects, rarity, card set, power, toughness, and card type. After it had that information it would go to magiccards.info and query their website for the card id and when that page loaded would look for a script tag that would take me to a website that held the price information for each card, once I had that I would update my database with the information.

It had auto-complete sources that were dynamically created at run time for the creation for instance, each letter you typed in would create a list that would be the auto-complete source. you could press enter or tab to fill the name. As you typed it would update a picture on the form which was the first card in the auto-complete list. You could save and load your deck lists, this was the first program I had ever created a custom file type for. It also had a second tab that you could type "keywords" in and it would query the descriptions of all the cards and return everything that matched it for instance if you wanted all the cards with Flying, Rampage, and Vigilance, you would type (without quotes) "Flying, Rampage, Vigilance". You could also search for phrases by enclosing the phrase in quotes for instance "Search your library for a basic land". It also excepted wild cards so you could do "* enters the battlefield" or you could use the "~" sign to search in the description for the cards name for instance if you wanted to search for "Whenever <insert cards name> enters the battlefield", you would put "Whenever ~ enters the battlefield".

I need to see if Wizards has an API they would let me use to continue development on it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:25 AM

Wow guys, that's some pretty interesting stuff. I really liked the protein modeling, and agree with your point about developing stuff for outside of computers.

Yba, could you continue to develop for offline, personal, use? Or maybe talk to them and ask them about the API or even ask for permission and then sell to them to use.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:32 AM

I will ask about an API. The only time it NEEDS to be online is to populate the database, other than that it can run in offline mode, pictures and prices wouldn't show up though.

If I do get permission to continue development (which is unlikely considering Wizards made almost everyone on the Android market take down their stuff) I will be completely re-writing it from scratch, because it's been about 2 years since I worked on it and I've my knowledge has expended ten-fold with programming since then. I want to implement a chart that would be able to tell you avereage CMC's and color breakdowns and such like MTGVault does.

This post has been edited by ybadragon: 17 January 2014 - 08:35 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:36 AM

A really really cool cockfighting/gambling mod for Neverwinter Nights.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:52 AM

LOL. By far my biggest Lua program was something I called "The One Button Warlock" for World of Warcraft. It did a lot of sensing and figured out the best thing to throw next. You could just mash a button for a reasonably sure kill. Alas, when the program was just about perfect, they nerfed the API on me. My warlock was 60 by then...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:00 AM

Most interesting : Used metal connection type thermostat, soldered to 9 pin serial port, fed to Linux, coded bash script to read serial port to feed values to Nagios to alert AC failure.
Second most interesting : Coded some C code for a proof of concept of calvinthedestroyer's binary train for the anything but ethernet contest. But some of that excitement was for non technical reasons. Drunk women (aged 50+) throwing stones through my 2nd floor office window. However, related excitement was seeing the leds flicker for the first time. Having to slow down the loop ... hearing the clicks ... er-mah-gerd, nerd-gazm!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:33 AM

So I emailed wizards and asked about how I could (legally) get the data for their cards. I also emailed a few other website owners and asked how they got their databases legally. Currently waiting for a response.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +