6 Replies - 861 Views - Last Post: 23 January 2014 - 01:56 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Video composition

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:16 AM

Dunno if this is the right place but I was wondering what was involved for something like this SMD vid :

What kind of program would be best suited to something like that? Java? Are there general methods / techniques used for it? (I'm guessing it's some kind of graphics...) Remind's me a bit of a Whitney thing or something, but much more in sync..... I like it.

How hard would something of this be? Time / expertise wise....

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Video composition

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Video composition

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:18 AM

I would imagine some sort of animation software or studio suit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:28 AM

Yeah I wasn't sure... Would it not be easier to program something such as this though? Just set up certain rules for certain scenes and screen grab the output or whatever... Frame by frame animation would be a life time, though I don't know.... Never really seen animation software though...

You wouldn't think something like this would be programmed then?

This look's kind of programmy as well (to me)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:32 AM

*shrug* I don't think it would be any easier.. probably more so than trying to build an entire engine and such.

As for that second one - again, animation studio.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:00 PM

They look a little "programmy" to me too but only because they're so graphically simplistic. That type of animation can be done quickly and easily if you're good with tools like Blender3D: http://www.blender.org/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:18 PM

View PostMarbelous, on 22 January 2014 - 02:00 PM, said:

They look a little "programmy" to me too but only because they're so graphically simplistic. That type of animation can be done quickly and easily if you're good with tools like Blender3D: http://www.blender.org/

Nice one Marbelous, never used animation before. Be nice to find out how they were made though
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:56 PM

View PostKnifeTea, on 22 January 2014 - 04:18 PM, said:

View PostMarbelous, on 22 January 2014 - 02:00 PM, said:

Nice one Marbelous, never used animation before. Be nice to find out how they were made though

A quick look through their blogs indicate they use MAXXON's Cinema4D ($4000) and Adobe After Effects for a lot of their video work. I don't know what they used on the videos you posted but they seem fond of real photography/artwork blended with computer art tools.

If you're curious about the process download Blender3D (FREE!) and start playing around. Its learning curve is kind of steep but you can do some pretty cool things after you get through a few tutorials. The community is very supportive too. Blender's scripting language is Python. I've been playing with it for years and it's great fun but can be as big a time soak as a good computer game and cost you some sleep.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1