3 Replies - 3352 Views - Last Post: 21 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Server setup for a startup

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:06 AM

Hi guys,

I am starting a startup company and I'm trying to figure out what servers I should get and how to set them up and I was hoping to get some feedback from you guys on this.

What we would like to have running is:
- website - just info about our product (nothing fancy, probably a wordpress site)
- server-side application (which will handle the requests from our users) - what we're making is a mobile app (android + ios for starters) - django framework
- jenkins (for CI)
- jira (for issue tracking and scrum)
- sonatype nexus (this is a maybe for now)
- mail server

One of our ideas was:
- server 1: mail server
- server 2: test server + jenkins + jira + nexus(maybe)
- server 3: production environment

specs for servers - we will use vps's:
- server 1: 512mb ram, 1 core
- server 2: option 1) 1gb ram with 1 core; option 2) 2gb ram with 2 cores
- server 3: 512mb ram, 1 core

This is what we think it should be enough for starters and upgrade them when we need it.

I appreciate any type of advice, so please don't hold back.

Thanks in advance :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Server setup for a startup

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Server setup for a startup

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:11 AM

** Moved to Web Servers & Hosting **
Normally, I say buy out-of-life Sun equipment & get a great deal. It's terribly reliable hardware. I love it to death. However, at the end of 2013 I started using a VPS with Digital Ocean. The cost of a VPS compared to electric alone is unfair. Then last night I saw that Server Mania is running a special 1 year price of $52 for double what I'm getting from Digital Ocean.

So I'm not sure what advice exactly you are asking for, but this is where I would start. A SunFire something or other with SCSI & all the Software Fixin's (FreeBSD, Apache, Nginx, Nagios, Qmail, MySql) or a VPS with CentOS, & same software.

** just to note ** this is just what I would do. I only have experience with webhosting/email solutions, & not mobile applications.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

Thanks for the reply and moving the thread (haven't noticed this section yet).
Digital Ocean is what we plan on using as well.
What do you think of the way we split the tasks among the servers and their hardware specs? Would you change/improve anything?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

Mail is going to have very low overhead, so it can probably piggy back off the production server. The neat thing about Digital Ocean is after the initial setup you can make an image, spin up a new vm, & copy over the existing image to have an exact duplicate.

I'm sorry, but I don't know enough about some of the software that you listed to really suggest anything differently. I have dedicated an entire 1U server to a test setup, but that's because as I suggested previously, it's easy to pick up an old Sun box off eBay for $100 & just go to town on it. But at $5 a month, that's almost 2 years of service with Digital Ocean.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1