2 Replies - 1358 Views - Last Post: 03 February 2014 - 03:09 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Web Page Accessing Win 8 Tablet Rear Camera

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:01 AM

Wondering if anyone out there has written or seen any ASP/net code that accesses the "Rear" camera on a tablet running windows 8+? My users will specifically be using Surface Pro 2's but I may want to allow iPads in the future. For now, I have control of the hardware.

We want a user on our webpage to be able to see an object, frame the picture, take the picture, keep pic or take another to replace it, and have it store as part of the record in a SQL database.

I am seeing all kinds of code and examples for "front" facing web camera's but nothing on accessing the rear camera unless I am in Android or iOS. With tablets as popular as they are now, i'm sure this is not a new request but amazed at how little I can find on it.

Any ideas for sources or references would be appreciated. Provide sample code and I promise to throw skittles, mountain dew and ho-ho's at your feet and declare you a code god. : )

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Web Page Accessing Win 8 Tablet Rear Camera

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Web Page Accessing Win 8 Tablet Rear Camera

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:33 AM

View PostBlasterman007, on 22 January 2014 - 05:01 PM, said:

... has written or seen any ASP/net code that accesses the "Rear" camera ...

You are asking the wrong question. - Accessing the device hardware would be a client-side issue, which would have to be done through either Javascript or native code for the device. A .NET application - in the context of web development - will always be server-side, and never capable of anything like this.

As far as I am aware, IE is far behind the others on this subject. I know of standard methods that the modern browsers will support, but it seems IE can only handle parts of that, and in non-standard ways.

Win8 does have Metro HTML5 apps that have access to APIs not provided to normal web applications. If you can't find a way to match the capabilities of the other browsers in Win8, you could look into that. I'm not sure it does support this, but it's more likely than anything else. - Not an ideal solution, but the best alternative I can think of.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Web Page Accessing Win 8 Tablet Rear Camera

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:09 PM

Thanks for input. I was able to find a post that looks very promising to what I am trying to do. Going to post a link here hoping it can help someone in the same situation find answers:

The link on this link for the demo is particularly interesting in how it allows you to select the cameras and mics from a web page. If you could only see my happy dance (or maybe not : )

http://www.html5rock...sermedia/intro/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1