1 Replies - 132 Views - Last Post: 22 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Visual Studio 2010 Debugger

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

Hi

I hope this is the right place to post this topic, sorry if it's not.

I use Visual Studio 2010 and have created a couple of applications now and the projects work error free when I extensively build and run the application within VS. When I Publish the application and I then install it, I usually get an error of some description that the debugger within VS didn't pick up (ie: Unhandled Exceptions etc). My last error was an incorrectly used function (vb.net) of system.io.directory.getfiles(directory) where no error was thrown within VS and it worked fine. To fix it I had to use system.io.directory.getfiles(directory, search type, wildcards) but that took forever to find that that was the cause.

I am using the default settings for the debugger and am programming in Visual Basic (vb.net). I would like to know if there is a way of setting my debugger up within VS so that these errors would be picked up before the application is published or is there a code of practice that recommends a regular publish just to see if any errors are thrown?

Any help is appreciated

Karl

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Visual Studio 2010 Debugger

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Visual Studio 2010 Debugger

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

Typically, yes, you want to turn on 'strict' in the options..

tools -> options -> projects and solutions -> vb defaults..

option explicit, option strict, option infer -> on

Outside of that it is hard to advocate better programming practices without seeing the actual error text and the corresponding code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1