Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Topic: Dieting

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:15 AM

View Postalapee, on 24 January 2014 - 09:27 AM, said:

There are some other mitegating factors I have. A) I use Bottled Water + Crystal Light Energy because I use to be a Mountain Dew Head [We are talking on my worse day a 24 pack, not to mention all the energy drinks I had]. I haven't drank soda in almost a year.
B)I stopped smoking a couple months ago.
Now I would use a straight calorie reduction technique but I have a habit of "blind" snacking. So I am using the hoodia/bitter orange to curb my snacking habits and writing everything down.

So once I have my portions sizes down the hoodia/bitter orange go away. [this will probably be in my maintenance phase] right now I am looking at the beginning of June to have all the weight off healthily]

The it is all about maintaining.

@creativecoding - I keep a calorie book in my back pocket to see if what I want to eat fits in to my last calories of the day. The calculator link was awesome, thank you.

Never picked up the smoking habit, thankfully. Too many family members buried because of their attachment to it, and more to follow. Father in law went in to the hospital last night, still waiting on prognosis. He's one of those that won't go to the movie theaters because he can't smoke during the movie.

Prior to the start of this year, I was really pushing the limits of caffiene consumption. Mountain Dew and Monster were my flavors of choice. I would drink them in rather large quantities in very short periods of time. Several times I would drink (2) of the BFCs and then an additional (2) 1 ltr bottles of Mountain Dew. I've been dealing with insomnia and sleep quality problems for year (long before the soda took over my life), and the consumption of such quantities became almost necessary for my continued existence.

I wish that I could say the decision to drop soda was purely for health reasons. It largely wasn't though. I simply cannot afford to spend $100+ every two weeks just on the habit. Sadly, the sleep problems have not improved, in some regards they've gotten worse (before it was staying asleep that was the issue, now it is going to sleep and staying there that is the problem).

Weather here makes exercising a bit complicated right now, but eventually I intend to incorporate exercise in to the overall game plan. I want to join a local gym but the start up costs are a bit beyond my means at this point so it'll have to wait. Once spring/summer hit as long as I'm with the same employer I'll be only a mile away (we're moving next weekend) so I can walk/bike to work instead of driving so that'll help too.

I think giving yourself goals to achieve, weight goals, time/distance goals, and even rewards for some of these goals is an important aspect to maintaining the lifestyle. I have decided that I'll allow myself to purchase a booster box of MtG cards if I make it 3 months without soda (almost 33% there!), and if I can make it to December soda free I'll be making my Christmas gift a PS4 (I think). I'd throw a new computer in there, but that needs to happen regardless of the outcome of my dietary obligations.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The North American Snipe

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:12 PM

View PostSplinteredChaos, on 24 January 2014 - 11:15 AM, said:

I wish that I could say the decision to drop soda was purely for health reasons. It largely wasn't though. I simply cannot afford to spend $100+ every two weeks just on the habit.

Local Dollar Tree Sells the Crystal Light Wannabes for $1, I spend $7 for 2 weeks.

View PostSplinteredChaos, on 24 January 2014 - 11:15 AM, said:

I want to join a local gym but the start up costs are a bit beyond my means at this point so it'll have to wait.

Simplest Workout : 50 Push ups/ 50 Sit ups Every Night. Worked for me when I was In Basic and AIT. If you get a chance mark a 2 Mile Stretch of High Way and Run it Every Other Day.
If the Simplest workout is too much: Start at 10 Push Ups/Situps Every Night and Walk the 2 Miles. In about a month you will build up to 50 and Running.
if it is not enough add 25 to your Push ups and sit ups until you get a workout, and try making the 2 Miles in 15 minutes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:48 PM

In my opinion cardiovascular exercises are most important, because it spikes insulin levels eventually adjusting your metabolism. A big meal should be eaten during breakfast only. Lunch and dinner should be a rather small meals. You should also be eating foods that are easy to digest in order to avoid storing fat, which is something your body naturally does.(pasta, fruits and veggies are good example) The idea is to burn off what you eat. One of the key principals is training your body what to do with the energy you ingest. This requires dedication to your workout. Just like many other things repetition is key in defining a metabolism. Another important aspect is the way you exercise. It is important to run, jog, or do some other type of exercise that involves your legs before working your upper body because, once again this spikes insulin levels and your legs make up more than have of your body. The idea is just to get your heart pumping and the insulin moving through your body. Once you have your heart moving then start doing things like push ups, and sit ups or crunches if sit up are to hard for you. Do push ups on your knees if you can not handle regular push ups. If you can handle sit ups and it is not enough for you, do jackknifes, this is one of the best core exercises there is. Another important factor is to do these upper body exercises until fail. What I mean by "until fail" is to do push ups until you literally can not do anymore. The same goes for sit ups or jack knifes. It is not important to count reps if you go to fail. Some other things to consider is doing plank exercises. This will help you to build muscle memory. Building muscle memory is not about getting bigger or stronger it is just to train your muscles how to flex, this is important especially for beginners. I hope these ideas help.

This post has been edited by Toadill: 24 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:57 PM

Dietitians and trainers will tell you that diet is 80+% of losing weight or getting into shape, but I think exercise is more important. Why? Because if you diet you're unlikely to exercise (tired from eating fewer calories than normal) but if you exercise you're likely to not want to sabotage that hard work with a jelly doughnut, slice of pie, etc., so you'll naturally eat better.

I tend to lean towards resistance training because cardio makes me hungry and I've seen people work out very hard at cardio for months without changing their bodies. On the other hand, if you can manage to do cardio and not eat a lot afterwards then I think it can be great.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The North American Snipe

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:28 PM

@Toadill, I agree with Plank exercises and going to fail. Though if you got a person who is pushing a 35+ BMI they are going to be less likely to want to exercise overall. Nutrition is going to be a big part in their weight loss, so they can get to a point of selecting working out and eating right over that jelly donut that is looking at them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

trying to lose weight? LIFT HEAVY
trying to gain weight? LIFT HEAVY
trying to lose a dress size? LIFT HEAVY
trying to increase athleticism? LIFT HEAVY
trying to look good naked? LIFT HEAVY
hate your job? LIFT HEAVY
someone cut you off? LIFT HEAVY

This post has been edited by supersloth: 24 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:11 PM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:35 PM

View Postsupersloth, on 24 January 2014 - 04:51 PM, said:

trying to lose weight? LIFT HEAVY
trying to gain weight? LIFT HEAVY
trying to lose a dress size? LIFT HEAVY
trying to increase athleticism? LIFT HEAVY
trying to look good naked? LIFT HEAVY
hate your job? LIFT HEAVY
someone cut you off? LIFT HEAVY

I agree with every one of those points. Keep it simple. Big compound, multi-joint exercises like squats, deadlifts, and Olympic lifts. Of course if you're going to LIFT HEAVY... LIFT SMART. Learn the proper form and when you're too tired to maintain it, you're done for the day. Do every rep through a full range of motion and under complete control. Use your warm-up sets to stretch and lock in good form. Cardio only to warm-up and cool-down with maybe some High Intensity Intervals Training on non-lifting days. As far as diet goes: Lean meats, complex carbs and tons of vegetables. Avoid processed foods, white starches and sugars. Don't drink your calories. Get plenty of quality sleep. Rinse and repeat.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:15 AM

View PostCTphpnwb, on 24 January 2014 - 08:57 PM, said:

cardio makes me hungry

Totally agree. An outdoor basketball court got built right next to my house and it barely get's used, so me and some friends have been playing a couple of times a week (mainly for fun, not so much for exercise.) The 24 hours after playing I could eat 50 horses and still feel hungry.

As for OP: The slower you lose the weight the better. Your body needs time to adjust when it starts burning into it's fat stores. All these fad diets and "new scientific discoveries" that promise to get thin quick are a bad idea. They may help you lose weight very quickly, but as soon as you get to where your happy, you will put on the weight really easy, even when not eating much.

Over the space of around 2 years i went from 295lbs to now usually between 195-205. To me, it's been a very slow process of eating clean foods and probably only coming in at a 100-150 calorie deficit. Now I'm happy with the way I look and feel, and can still go out at the weekend with friends and have a couple of beers and some pizza without worrying about putting on 50lbs.

I don't know if you've ever looked in the Lounge fitness threads, but they are worth the read if you've got the time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:28 AM

View PostCTphpnwb, on 24 January 2014 - 03:57 PM, said:

Dietitians and trainers will tell you that diet is 80+% of losing weight or getting into shape, but I think exercise is more important. Why? Because if you diet you're unlikely to exercise (tired from eating fewer calories than normal) but if you exercise you're likely to not want to sabotage that hard work with a jelly doughnut, slice of pie, etc., so you'll naturally eat better.

I tend to lean towards resistance training because cardio makes me hungry and I've seen people work out very hard at cardio for months without changing their bodies. On the other hand, if you can manage to do cardio and not eat a lot afterwards then I think it can be great.

Yeah they also try to sell you crap to diet on too... and the shit don't work...Hard work is what gives you results not some miracle drink lol. Believe it or not I would say getting hungry is a good thing after working out. It means your body has nothing left to store. Therefore you should eat but in moderation. Eat some but don't over do it. Give your body time to digest and if you are still hungry eat a little more. Really if you use fasting your body would have no problem digesting the food you eat. In other words eating fast digestive foods only when you are hungry is okay. Eating meats all the time is not okay. Meat will sit in your stomach and burn off slowly. This is why you fast instead of mixing food because when food is mixed even the fast digestive food takes longer to digest, which makes your body store fat. If your body don't have time to store fat or energy then you don't gain weight. Doing another short workout an hour after eating wouldn't hurt, because the idea is to train your body to burn the food as soon as you eat it instead of storing it like it is use too. Another thing you may want to look into is getting your thyroid checked because it produces chemicals to help break down meats. When something goes wrong with your thyroid often your body stops producing this chemical.

This post has been edited by Toadill: 25 January 2014 - 10:38 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:48 AM

View Postalapee, on 24 January 2014 - 04:28 PM, said:

@Toadill, I agree with Plank exercises and going to fail. Though if you got a person who is pushing a 35+ BMI they are going to be less likely to want to exercise overall. Nutrition is going to be a big part in their weight loss, so they can get to a point of selecting working out and eating right over that jelly donut that is looking at them.

I agree nutrition is important, but what people don't realize is that nutrition does not have to taste like shit lmao. You can eat grapes or other sweet fruits that digest fast to calm your sweet tooth and still stay on a healthy diet and it will burn longer than the sugar in a doughnut. The most important part of dieting is drinking water believe it or not. Water helps to flush your body and fruits contain loads of water... The same goes for veggies, although most people don't go for veggies. You just have to avoid meats at first. Once your body is use to burning food instead of storing it. You will be able to digest meats faster, because we are habit forming creatures. What it comes down to is addiction is addiction. Anything you do for 3 months or more will become habit, but you have to fight your urges!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:45 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

I don't lift really at all...
push ups, dips and jack knifes

This post has been edited by Toadill: 25 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:28 PM

View Postalapee, on 24 January 2014 - 07:30 AM, said:

Ok, my wife and I have started a portion control diet utilizing Hoodia, Bitter Orange, Alli Supplements. Next week she is going on a Doctor Controlled Diet. So what diets is everyone on/tried/heard of working?

I've heard the Ketogenic/Paleo diet works wonders for losing weight. However, entities like the AMA and Heart and Stroke Foundation dont endorse it. Scientifically, they are high-fat low-carb diets that work by priming your body to use fat as a fuel source primarily because of the restriction on carbs. When you start with like 20g of carbs a day it cuts out almost all processed foods so you get your carbs from vegetables and such that are highly nutritious. When you cut out processed crap the density of food decreases which means it will fill you up better as well.

I know that a huge number of weightlifters/bodybuilders are on this particular diet. It also works well with those exercises because they build muscle which helps to burn fat faster.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:50 AM

Muscle building is a great way to lose weight and stay healthy.

Cardio(jogging, biking) only burns calories while you're moving, but exercises that break down your muscles and rebuild them will continuously drain calories for around two days.

Push ups, crunches, lifting, pull ups, etc will give you excellent results and burn off tons of fat.

This post has been edited by The Effekt: 26 January 2014 - 07:50 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +