4 Replies - 4164 Views - Last Post: 11 February 2014 - 09:48 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Portfolio check

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:26 PM

please have a look at my portfolio .. and tell me what should i need to do to make it best .. check everything and tell me the mistakes !! . Thanks . :)

http://cybergea.5gbfree.com/
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Portfolio check

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Re: Portfolio check

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

It looks good, I like the design. You do have a few spelling/grammar mistakes. Your tagline "engineers never dies" should read "engineers never die", and "Bachelor" is spelled incorrectly on your home page.

If I were to offer design tips, I would change the harsh red and black copyright footer to colors that are easier on the eye (maybe a lighter shade of yellow?), and adjust the rollover navigation images. In their current state, they distort the text a little on rollover, and in general look a little funny. Maybe just a simple text color change on rollover would look better.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Prince of all (2) Saiyans

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:16 AM

Agreed, looks good.

In addition to Nathans advice regarding design, the large white block at the bottom looks rather jagged on the eye, though how much you can do about that I don't know since it seems to be by the hosting company rather then you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:32 PM

The color scheme isn't too appealing, but I like the design. The fonts are all over the place and not consistent.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:48 PM

Allow me to be the notable detractor and say this isn't good. This is not going to be a nice one, so you've been forewarned.

First Impression of Developer

If I were hiring, I would throw this out without a second glance. Typos all over the place, lack of modern design elements, and animated GIFs spell danger.

First Impression of Site

I immediately exited the tab, and shortly remembered I was reviewing it. Bad sign if I have that twitch, or for that matter anyone does.

The background is far too bright and draws too much attention to itself as a whole, it's blinding. Backgrounds are meant to be backgrounds, not the element that catches the most attention on a page.

Coloring

Throw it away, and get a new color scheme. This one is far too overbearing and suffocates the viewer. Look into Adobe Kuler for some basic ideas on a more subtle scheme. White on yellow is impossible to read, especially on the header.

Typography

Drop shadow is evil if it's noticed. The point of a shadow or any accent element is to be subtle. That isn't subtle. Tone it town and use the CSS drop shadows.

Flash Version

Don't. Flash is dead, leave it that way.

Main content

Get rid of the paper theme there, it looks bad. If you're not confident in your design skills, don't use images whenever possible. They're difficult to incorporate and are one of the fastest ways to peg you as a newbie.

The blue font is difficult to read, and the header as well. It's blending too much with the background (remember, subtle)

Navigation

Again, spelling. You're using images for everything which is unnecessary. Learn CSS font properties and hover effects. You're hacking in javascript inline which is a huge sin of Web Design.

Source Code

You copied some random javascript functions and preloads, have styles throughout inline, and there's no semantic hierarchy anywhere. This looks like a Junior High project in Intro to Web Design.

Conclusion

This is bad, very bad. You're not going to get hired by showing this to anyone whatsoever, and if you do it's a very bad sign for the future of your employment at said company.

This was harsh, and you're probably annoyed. Good. I don't intend to hold punches here because that does you no favors if you intend to do this professionally.

As a side note to the people who said this was a good design, I'm seriously concerned. Those who review something bad as good are equally in need of training.

What to do

Read, a lot. Hop on Google and look up top web designs, get a feel for them.

Base overview:
http://www.noupe.com...-look-good.html

Reading:
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/
http://alistapart.com/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1