6 Replies - 1703 Views - Last Post: 25 January 2014 - 09:09 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Please take ten minutes to test my chatbot (school project)

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:32 AM

Hi, everyone! I've written a very primitive chatbot for a school project, but I've just learned from my teacher that I need at least thirty people to test it before Monday! I had planned on simply testing it with my immediate family. Can I ask you to take ten or fifteen minutes to download the program <Removed> and test it? Simply follow the instructions below. Thank you for your help!

1. <Removed> from SourceForge. Both "ChatbotExperiment.jar" and "memory.chat" must be placed in the same folder for the program to work. I suggest creating an empty folder for the files.

2. Run "ChatbotExperiment.jar" (you must have Java installed) and follow the on-screen instructions. Talk to the chatbot until it has replied 25 times (it replies almost instantly so this will be a very short conversation).

3. Participate in the short survey that appears after the conversation is over. Entering your gender and age is NOT required, but it is appreciated as it will help me gather data for my project.

4. When the results appear on the screen, please click Select > All and Edit > Copy, and then paste the text into an email and send it to [email protected] You may also attach the file called "chatbotExperimentData.chat" (which is instantly created in the same folder in which the program and memory file reside) to an email and send it to [email protected]

5. If you do not feel comfortable sending me an email with your personal email address, you may paste the complete results to this thread. However I can assure you I will not save any of your addresses and I will not distribute them to anyone else.

I'm very grateful for any participation I receive. I know it's unusual to post these kind of requests to a public forum, but I have nowhere else to turn. Please take a short amount of time to help out a beginning computer science student.

Thanks!

Note: I apologize if this isn't the correct section to post this topic in, and will of course move it to a more appropriate section if need be.

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 25 January 2014 - 09:06 AM
Reason for edit:: Removed links to JARs

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Please take ten minutes to test my chatbot (school project)

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Please take ten minutes to test my chatbot (school project)

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:05 AM

We don't promote the creation of bots in any way shape or form.
They are a blight on cyber society.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:32 AM

I'm curious about one thing - why is there an Emailer class and a mail.jar package in this jar file?

I'd like to see the source code for this before I run it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:50 AM

From a one-day-new member my first guess is this is spyware. It sure sounds like an effort to spread malware that is going to mail out information about the user's computer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Chinga la migra
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:57 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 25 January 2014 - 10:50 AM, said:

From a one-day-new member my first guess is this is spyware. It sure sounds like an effort to spread malware that is going to mail out information about the user's computer.

Well, that's unfortunately the safest assumption. While it might be an incorrect assumption in this particular case, we should point out that you should never run code from a random stranger unless you have compiled it yourself from source code that you have reviewed.

To the OP: I'm sorry we sound like a couple of paranoid nuts, but if you want people to test this, you should really set it up to run as a web service. That way users can know that they are exposing themselves to no more risk than they experience every time they open up a web browser.
not only that, but you'd also be able to train your bot much better by storing up all of that conversational record.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Futurama: Insert funny joke here
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:59 AM

Sounds like there will be ban hammer on him or this topic.
And yes, i would like too see the source files too.

This post has been edited by Michael26: 25 January 2014 - 09:01 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:09 AM

I am going to close this thread, as I'm in agreement about the external packages. We don't know you, and we are not going to run code we cannot compile.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1